The Wait List

Never too early to plan… so here goes…

Here’s one WL strategy if your FC school waitlists you on M10. Obviously, I’m hoping no one will need it, but if you want to be WL battle ready, it may prove to be helpful on M10. Knowledge is power… or, something :

My 3/12/15 post on this thread :

Here’s the drill:

If you receive a WL decision from your first choice school and an acceptance from another school- the steps are pretty simple:

1. Accept a place on the WL via email with Delivery and Read Receipts.

2. Schedule a Revisit Day and put the WL school OUT OF YOUR MIND for now. Go to Revisit Day and have a great time.

You’ll have one month for the WL to shakeout and to make a decision about the other school . If you want to go the distance with the WL school ( WITHOUT jeopardizing the other school ) you’ll have until A9. On A8 have your PARENT call the WL school and ask to speak to the DOA. Tell WL school that you have to act on an acceptance from another school before the deadline but you’d like to check WL status ( one last time ) before you do. If they tell you that they’re NOT going to the WL or they don’t expect much movement- thank them and have them remove your name from the WL.

It’s time to MOVE ON unless you choose to stay on the WL. If WL school miraculously does come through ( after A10 ) you’ll have to break your commitment with the other school and forfeit your deposit (which is NOT a mere bag of shells, by the way ) . Personally, I could never take this route because I’m way too frugal and like closure .

I’m also big on keeping commitments- but that’s just me. So- now we’re one or two days away from the deadline…

1. Now that you’ve given the WL time to play out ( and you can walkaway and never wonder because you’ve seen it through to the end… ) : Have your parent call the school ( you’ll be attending ) and tell them the deposit check is on it’s way via FedEx.

The End.

Now, If you’re handed all Waitlists without any acceptances - here’s basically what you need to know:

Unfortunately, all you can do is remain calm, guarded and optimistic. Out of the gate, I highly recommend that a WL student sends an email to the school(s) just as I outlined in Step One above. Then the waiting truly begins because the AOs are solely focused on accepted students and revisit days until A10. Yes, a waitlist parent can call an AO M10-A10 to echo what was said in their child’s WL email, or to get a WL status update, but just remember where the AO focus is ( as cruel as that sounds- sorry :frowning: ), and remember that all interaction between you and the AO matters. IMHO- it’s better to be cool, upbeat and patient. Persistence ( aka stalking ) has worked out well according for some persistent parents, but it has also backfired miserably on many parents , too. Everyone operates differently and I’m not here to tell anyone what to do… just do what feels best and works well for your family.

If I had to pick two days for a WL parent to call ( after the M10 student email accepting a place on the WL ) , I would pick the day after the last scheduled revisit day and A11- the day after contracts/ deposits are due… but that’s just me. I think it’s perfectly fine to call anytime before or on A9, too. Just not A10… because it’s absolutely nuts in all BS AO offices that day.

*** THIS IS IMPORTANT *** Before and after A10, you’ll hear about some WL movement here on CC. You’ll also see discouraging posts saying that your school has closed their WL. Please disregard those posts unless you’ve received the same letter, email, or you were told the same information over the phone by the AO.

Most schools send out some sort of notification to all families when they officially close their WL… while some ( forgive me ) will leave you languishing in the desert forever…

Also… even though it’s pretty rare, some Waitlist movement will occur before school begins in late August/ early September. It’s also not uncommon for movement to happen in July, too … because that’s when the big money is due.

Life intervenes, plans change and spots at BSs do open up, but sadly it’s infrequent. That’s just the way it is.

The best WL advice I’ve heard during M10-A10 and beyond is to keep an open heart, keep doing all the things that make you happy, and keep moving. If you need to pause and vent there are plenty of veterans ( parents and students ) that are here for you… many who have experienced exactly what you’re going though and could give much better WL advice than I can. So reach out if you need to - even if it’s for a lousy cyber hug.

I wish there was some upbeat way to end this post. It’s depressing to write this, but I do hope it helps just in case someone needs it. All I can say is - I wish you all the very, very best on M10 and I will have my fingers crossed for everyone.

Especially the Chance Me and Freakout thread Peeps… You guys are great! Good luck!!