*** Official Thread - BS/MD Results for Class of 2018 ***

All I know, a week out from decisions, once it’s over, a great weight has been lifted off from our shoulders. The classes of 1999/2000 have produced one of the most competitive classes in the history of applications per her guidance counselor. I’m amazed she got the interviews she did.

Stats:

ACT: 35 ss, 36 E, 31M, 35R, 36S
GPA: 4.43, 10th in class of 560

Awards:

National AP Scholar
President’s Volunteer Service Award
Coca Cola Scholarship Semifinalist
State Choral Award
John Philip Sousa Award
National French Exam
HOBY rep
Chamber of Commerce Youth Council

Activities;

HOSA President
French Club
annual international volunteering
peer tutoring
Key Club VP
NHS Treasurer
band and choir section leaders
ensemble director
collegiate band ensemble

Programs Applied:

Siena/Albany: rejected
Union/Albany, ug acc with scholarship
UMKC: int, W/L regional, ug acc
Tulsa: int, W/L, ug full ride scholarship
Hofstra, Drexel, PSU, ug acc
SLU: no int, ACCEPTED to program and ug acc with scholarship

UG: Rice W/L
Duke accepted

This has been a roller coaster experience for the whole family, from the early admission letter highs to the rejection lows and the travel and interactions in-between. While I am shocked at her getting some of these interviews, I am not totally surprised by the results. The reason for hospital/medical experience is to have the student visualize himself in these settings and learn, giving them subjects to be excited and passionate about intrinsically and to talk about during an interview. If the student has limited exposure to this setting, how can he justify his desire to pursue a medical career with integrity. Of course, he can embellish and make up things and experiences, which, while attaining the goal, should have nothing to do with being a physician. He has to want to do this through experience, while knowing the realities of it.

She also learned who her competition is: ORM’s like herself who are pushed into medicine culturally. Not only that, she got a lot of experience (ptsd, I hope not) from the whole interview process. In order to level the playing field, while learning more about medicine, she chose SLU’s EAP as opposed to TU’s full ride. It’s nice to have guidance to make her final decision on pursuing medicine or not, but the tuition break would’ve been great as well!

Thank you @GoldenRock, @Roentgen, @bearchichi , @PPofEngrDr, @suecollege , @TTV2018 for all your support, guidance, and advice!!

Congrats and best of luck to all of your children!!!