2012 Clean Official Boarding Decisions and Applicant Stats/EC's

<p>*****this is NOT my work.. credit goes to TomTheCat, who made this thread last year. I am simply copying and pasting his work for the new year.</p>

<p>Link to the original thread:<a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/665444-clean-official-boarding-decisions-applicant-stats-ecs.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/665444-clean-official-boarding-decisions-applicant-stats-ecs.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>^ This thread is very useful, so please lets get a new one started</p>

<hr>

<p>Post nothing but your filled-in table. No extra banter, no nothing. Just your stats. This is for the good of all of us but mostly for CC's crowd next year.</p>

<p>To find your WEIGHTED and UNWEIGHTED GPA, go to Staples High School--Info--GPA Calculator</p>

<p>Remember, to make the code below work, you must delete the spaces within the brackets. Otherwise it will just appear as it does immediately below. The second decision line is for if you had different decisions from schools such as waitlisting or rejection.
If additional decision lines are not needed, delete them. If another is, simply copy and paste and change the color to red for rejections and blue for waitlists.</p>

<p>Make sure to preview your posts to make sure your code works!</p>

<p>[ size=+1][ color=green][ b] Decision: [ /b][ /color][ /size]
[ size=+1][ color=green][ b]Decision: [ /b][ /color][ /size]</p>

<p>[ b]Stats:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT:
[ *] GPA Unweighted-Weighted:
[ *] Rank:
[ *] Other stats:
[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays:
[ *] Teacher Recs:
[ *] Principle/Counselor Rec:
[ *] Hook (if any):
[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list]
[ *] State or Country:
[ *] Current School Type:
[ *] Ethnicity:
[ *] Gender:
[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b]
[ b]General Comments:[ /b]</p>

<p>Here's an example of how it should look for a fictional boy named John Doe:
Decision: Accepted at HADES</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>]SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT:SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 99th Percentile
SSAT (2400), 99th Percentile PSAT (2400)
[</em>]GPA Unweighted-Weighted:4.3-4.7
[<em>]Rank: 1
[</em>]Other stats:Number 1 underwater basket weaver
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[<em>]Essays: Probably good. I had a ton of people read them.
[</em>]Teacher Recs: Probably good because I know my teachers like me as a student
[<em>]Principle/Counselor Rec: Probably good but I don't see him/her that much
[</em>]Hook (if any): URM, 10th generation legacy, first in family to even enter high school
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[<em>]State or Country: Guatemala
[</em>]Current School Type: Large Private
[<em>]Ethnicity: Black+Native American+Chinese+Albino
[</em>]Gender: Male
[/ul]Other Factors:
Extracurriculars: Tons of awards in soccer, football, and lacrosse. State champ. Tri-varsity.
General Comments:
I can't wait to study science in the Gelb Science Center!</p>

<p><em>REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE SPACES IN THE SAMPLE CODE FOR THIS TO WORK!!!</em>
Remember, nothing but your filled-in table, please.</p>

<p>I’m excited to post in this. Can’t wait till tomorrow!</p>

<p>Same- can NOT believe how fast time is passing!! Ahh.</p>

<p>Good luck to the both of you! Sadly, my excitement for M10 has been waning… My two rejections have hit me REALLY hard.</p>

<p>Hang in there, starkali. You are SO much more than a high school application. : )</p>

<p>I see you are in CA – did you apply to any schools there? My daughter has application in with Cate and Thacher.</p>

<p>I can’t wait. My 200th post’ll be the decisions. I’m really disappointed that Andover’s decision isn’t probably gonna arrive for another few days, though. I want this over with. </p>

<p>(And starkali, IF you do get rejected to all 8 schools, you are definitely not the first one. There is more than one name, just from last year. You are not alone! IT’S THEIR LOSS.)</p>

<p>To make everything easier, once someone begins to post their stats (after midnight!) please don’t post any conversation. Only your stats! Thanks :)</p>

<p>Okay, sounds like a plan :)</p>

<p>Though this is a great thread, think before posting…if you’re still on the wait list, the AO’s can figure out who you are, which can affect you getting in or not. Also, don’t reveal too much personal stuff. It is still a forum of strangers, after all.</p>

<p>It’s time to revive this thread. Start posting! I will post after 10 P.M. once I receive my final decision from Loomis.</p>

<p>** Decision: Accepted at Choate & Hotchkiss**
**Waiting on Andover **</p>

[<em>] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 80%
[</em>] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: 4.0 (no weighted v. unweighted)
[<em>] Rank: Probably 1 out of 30?
[</em>] Other stats: SSAT was horrible, have all A’s though.
[<em>] Essays: Both were amazing (IMO). I wrote a long poem for Hotchkiss; it paid off!
[</em>] Teacher Recs: Probably outstanding, English loves me, Math likes that I’m a hard worker.
[<em>] Principle/Counselor Rec: Okay, leaning toward good.
[</em>] Hook (if any): Full pay and sent video of me singing.
[<em>] State or Country: California, USA
[</em>] Current School Type: Private
[<em>] Ethnicity: Multiracial - Filipino and Hispanic/Cuban
[</em>] Gender: Female
[/ul]Other Factors: I had amazing interviews at both. I really connected with both of my interviewers and kept in touch with them after. Honestly, they’re probably a big reason of why I’m in. I have a very, very outgoing personality and I guess that played well!
General Comments: Have no idea where I’m going! Revisit days are badly timed because we’re going to DC late March/early April. Leaning more toward Choate, though! To all future applicants, you can do it with a low test score!</p>

<p>** Decision: Accepted at The Hill School **</p>

[<em>] SSAT: 2237 - 93%
[</em>] GPA Unweighted: 4.283
[<em>] Rank: 1 of 273
[</em>] Other stats: Great interview
[<em>] Essays: Average
[</em>] Teacher Recs: English - Average; Math - Above Average
[<em>] Principle/Counselor Rec: Great
[</em>] Hook (if any): Full pay, multiple good ECs
[<em>] State or Country: Pennsylvania, USA
[</em>] Current School Type: Medium-Large Public Middle
[<em>] Ethnicity: South Asian
[</em>] Gender: Male
[/ul]Other Factors: Didn’t look like I worked hard on app, didn’t study for SSAT, did everything at last minute, NJHS, I’m a tri-sport athlete, won Chemistry and Writing contests recently
General Comments: Have a pretty good public school, probably day student, applied for 9th grade, probably could’ve/should’ve applied to other schools but my parents didn’t want me boarding (reason I waited until last minute was because I only applied to one). Overall I am the average applicant I guess.</p>

<p>** Decision: Accepted at Taft**
Decision: Accepted at Lawrenceville
Decision: Waitlisted at Loomis
Decision: Waitlisted at St. Andrews (DE)
Decision: Rejected at Exeter</p>

[<em>] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: SSAT 98%ile
[</em>] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: Mostly straight A-stars, couple of A’s
[<em>] Rank: N/A
[</em>] Other stats: EC’s. No musical instrument. No sports. No leadership. Boy Scout. Several Math awards. Some community service and that’s it.
[<em>] Essays: Rushed my Loomis essay. Was fairly proud of my TABS common essay. Spent the most time on Exeter’s - but results proved the opposite. My Lawrenceville essay was the weirdest - perhaps that’s why I got accepted? :smiley:
[</em>] Teacher Recs: My English teacher loves me. My Math teacher is very fair so doesn’t really have a favorite student, but I guess it should have been above average.
[<em>] Principle/Counselor Rec: We never talked.
[</em>] Hook (if any): Full-pay. Went through an educational consultant. International - from an Asian country that isn’t Hong Kong, Singapore, China or South Korea.
[<em>] State or Country: Somewhere in Asia…
[</em>] Current School Type: Private/International
[<em>] Ethnicity: Asian
[</em>] Gender: Male
[/ul]Other Factors: My friend is a current student at Taft, and she put good words for me with my interviewer :D.
General Comments: I can’t believe I got in at Lville without an interview! I probably won’t be able to attend revisit days due to distance, but I’m probably set for Lville next year. I am actually surprised I didn’t get outright rejected at Loomis because I completed my application on January 14th, spending only 2 hours on the whole thing (no proofreading etc.).</p>

<p><em>Tips to future applicants</em>: you don’t need to have stellar ECs, be your school’s president, a musical prodigy or captains of 10 different sport teams in order to get accepted. Just be yourself - do what you’re truly passionate about; that counts way more than having 99 different ECs. Most importantly - be nice during interviews. Don’t freak out if you don’t come off as a genius who can give spontaneous speeches about global warming - just be nice. It’s really what the interviewers are looking for - nice kids that can fit in with the school’s community.</p>

<p>Accepted: Andover, Middlesex
**Waitlisted: Groton, Deerifled **</p>

<p>Stats[ul]
[<em>]SSAT: 96
[</em>]UW GPA: 3.7
[<em>]W GPA: 5.4
[</em>]Rank: approximately top 10%
[/ul]
Subjective[ul]
[<em>]Essays: Good. One for Andover was my best one.
[</em>]Teacher recs: All very good. My talent rec was especially good.
[<em>]Counselor rec: Good.
[</em>]Hook:Had a special artistic talent. Spent over 15 hours per week on it. Sent in materials to all schools.
[/ul]
Location/Person[ul]
[<em>]State: MA
[</em>]Current school type: Public
[<em>]Ethnicity: White
[</em>]Gender: Male
[/ul]
Other factors
Needed significant financial aid. Was a boarding applicant.
General comments
Swag.</p>

<p>** Rejected: Emma Willard, Concord, Mercersburg, NMH, Lawrenceville, Peddie **
** Awaiting: Westminster, Dana Hall **</p>

[<em>] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: SSAT 32%, ISEE 72%
[</em>] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: 3.3-3.5
[<em>] Rank: 2 out of 16
[</em>] Other stats: Owner of talent management company, Intern for local congress campaign, 150+ community service hours
[<em>] Essays: For the most part, they were pretty good. Some were more well written than others.
[</em>] Teacher Recs: My English teacher gave me a copy of his rec. after he sent it in. I must say, it was quite flattering. I suspect that my math teacher’s recommendation was fairly good as well.
[<em>] Principle/Counselor Rec: He knows me very well, so probably a fair/good recommendation.
[</em>] Hook (if any): URM
[<em>] State or Country: California
[</em>] Current School Type: At the beginning on the year, I was at a huge, public school. I am not at a much smaller, charter school.
[<em>] Ethnicity: Black
[/ul]Other Factors: Needed a substantial amount of FA
General Comments: I’m not really surprised by the results. I already knew I wasn’t the most “qualified” applicant on paper. Oh well…</p>

<p>** Accepted: Blair Academy **
** Waitlisted: Middlesex **
** Rejected: Lawrenceville, The Hill School **
** Awaiting arrival: Deerfield, St. George’s **</p>

[<em>] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 92%
[</em>] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: 4.198-4.466
[<em>] Rank: N/A
[</em>] Other stats: “A” team field hockey, play lacrosse, dance classes, lead in the school play, school chorus. Won various writing competitions and Latin competitions.
[/ul][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[<em>] Essays: I thought my essays were very good. I drafted them in early November, and had them edited by various people. I was proud of the final essays. They reflected my studious yet engaged personality, and talked a lot about who I am as a person and who/what has shaped me the most as an individual.
[</em>] Teacher Recs: English was probably stellar (my teacher LOVES me, and I’m in his service group), math was probably very, very strong (math teacher is also my advisor), and I got an additional recommendation from my Latin teacher, who loves me. This one was probably the strongest.
[<em>] Principle/Counselor Rec: My principal is always very impressed with me. I am always speaking at assemblies, organizing fundraisers, etc., and has subbed for my English teacher on several occasions and has complimented me on my eloquence numerous times.
[</em>] Hook (if any): I’m half Ecuadorian, but I don’t think that would count for much… </p>

<p>[/list]Location/Person:[ul]
[<em>] State or Country: PA
[</em>] Current School Type: Private
[<em>] Ethnicity: I consider myself to be Latina. However, I could also be considered white.
[/ul]Other Factors: Needed full or almost full financial aid
General Comments: I have to admit, I was shocked at being rejected at Lawrenceville. My interview went very well, and my interviewer suggested more than a few times that I would be receiving an offer on M10. I will update you all when I hear back from Deerfield and St. George’s.</p>

<p>[ size=+1][ color=green][ b] Decision: [ Accepted at Exeter, Andover, Lawrenceville and Concord/b]</p>

<p>[ b]Stats:[ /b][Captain of three sports, yearbook editor,and third chair clarinetist]
[ *] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT:95th percentile
[ *] GPA Unweighted-Weighted:Unknown… most grades over 97
[ *] Rank:Also unknown
[ *] Other stats:…
[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][]
[ *] Essays:Excellent, writing is my forte.
[ *] Teacher Recs:Mustve been good. My teachers really like me.
[ *] Principle/Counselor Rec:Good, good relationship with my principal.
[ *] Hook (if any):Im a good basketball player and most schools have awful basketball teams(girls)
[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][…]
[ *] State or Country:Southeast
[ *] Current School Type:Public
[ *] Ethnicity:Black
[ *] Gender:Female
[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ Great interviews/b]
[ b]General Comments:[ Andover said that I was one of the only applicants to get the highest score possible from all members of the admissions committee!/b]</p>

<p>@ 00isme</p>

<p>you must DELETE the spaces in the brackets of the code for this to work</p>

<p>I would post my stats, but it looks like I’m going to be reapplying if Deerfield or Andover turn me down.</p>

<p>yeah sometimes putting all of your stats isnt the best idea…i mean this is still a forum of strangers</p>