Areas of Strength at HBCUs

HBCUs have a number of benefits, including providing supportive communities for their students and helping to fuel the socioeconomic rise of many of their alumni.

Many schools (HBCU or PWI) have particular areas of strength that they’re noted for. This thread is an opportunity to mention various HBCUs and fields that they are particularly strong in so that it can serve as a resource to all forum readers.

3 Likes

Architecture is a field where one needs to receive a B. Arch or M. Arch from a NAAB-accredited school. There are a limited number of these schools in the U.S., but there are some HBCUs with this accreditation. They are:

• Florida A&M: B. Arch and M. Arch
  • Hampton (VA): M. Arch
  • Howard (D.C.): B. Arch
  • Morgan State (MD): M. Arch
  • Prairie View A&M (TX): M. Arch
  • Tuskegee (AL): B. Arch

There’s a bit more intricacy to what kind of a degree to do in undergrad when becoming an architect which goes beyond the scope of this thread, but I’d advise checking out Architecture Major - College Confidential Forums as well as some of @momrath’s excellent posts on the subject.

1 Like

Howard is in DC, not AL. Its architecture program has been renamed to M.Arch, but is a 5-year program started from frosh entry (similar to what it was as a B.Arch program), as described at M.Arch. Program | College of Engineering and Architecture .

University of the District of Columbia has an M.Arch program.

2 Likes

Thanks for the catch. Don’t know what I was thinking.

I will start with my home away from home…. Morehouse/Spelman has always been part of the reason that Georgia Tech has been top 2 every year in Black engineering graduates due the Dual Degree programs offered at those schools. Morehouse is the place to go for burgeoning Ministers as well. I have seen XULA produce such a large number of successful doctors and pharmacists with its top notched STEM focused programs. Howard University has produced a large number of successful TV news people over the years, great actors (Chadwick Bozeman, Phylicia Rashad, Taraji P. Henson, Laz Alonso, etc.), and lawyers (too many to count). Tuskegee has been known for producing veterinarians and engineers, and FAMU is known for producing great businessmen and businesswomen. NCAT and Alabama A&M produces top notched agricultural based degrees and food scientists yearly.

But what I love most is that HBCUs produce in things that they are not necessarily known for. The number of my family, friends, and acquaintances that I know who are HBCU grads who make 6 figure salaries would surprise a lot of people and runs from the HBCU names that most people know to some of the smaller lesser known HBCUs. The HBCU grads that I know have become pillars in their communities and make me thankful that I am a small part of an such an incredible legacy.

7 Likes

I want to echo this and expand by being specific. Xavier University of Louisiana is amazing for any of the professions that require a strong undergrad biomedical focus: physician, pharmacist, physician assistant, physical therapist, occupational therapist, speech pathologist, high school science teacher, college biology professor, biomedical researcher/PhD etc.

4 Likes

This list is a jumping off point rather than an exhaustive list. But these are some fields that I’ve seen noted as strengths or where the university is putting significant investment (like the Toni Morrison center at Prairie View) or where there is another unique feature about them (like Paul Quinn being a work college).

• Clark Atlanta (GA): Undergraduate research

• Delaware State: Aviation

• Florida A&M: Pharmacy

• Hampton (VA): Entrepreneurship

• Howard (D.C.): Fine arts, media

• Jackson State (MS): Meteorology, atmospheric science

• Morehouse (GA): Men’s college, Entrepreneurship

• Norfolk State (VA): Fine/studio arts

• North Carolina A&T: Engineering

• Paul Quinn (TX): Work college

• Prairie View (TX): Writing

• Southern (LA): Engineering

• Spelman (GA): Women’s college, Entrepreneurship

• Tougalou (MS): Social justice, human trafficking & forced labor

• Tuskegee (AL): Engineering, veterinary science,

• Xavier (LA): Pre-med, pharmacy

• U. of Maryland – Eastern Shore: Environmental science & marine ecology

4 Likes

Of note, Morgan State is opening a new medical school. Saw it on LinkedIn. Quite an achievement!

6 Likes

Xavier of Louisiana is also opening up a medical school. Based on its success in preparing students for medical school, I expect pretty awesome things from it!

6 Likes

Morgan State is well respected in civil engineering too. It is finally getting some long overdue investment from the state and received a big donation from Mackenzie Scott recently. I know applications have been way up the last couple of years to the point they have had to house some students in hotels. They are building new dorms. I think their urban location and close proximity to other colleges make it a really appealing option.

5 Likes