Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Active School Forums

As we are nearing the end of the year, we want to look back at what has been a great 2022. In this 10-day series we are highlighting some of the best content from across the site. From the most read articles, to our most popular school profiles or to the best conversation starters in the forums, let’s revisit and celebrate the standout stories and top contributors on College Confidential.

On Day 1 we want to highlight the Top 10 Most Active School Forums. Check out the list below:

1. University of Michigan
  2. Texas A&M University
  3. New York University
  4. University of California - Berkeley
  5. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
  6. University of Pittsburgh
  7. The University of Texas at Austin
  8. University of Southern California
  9. Northeastern University
  10. Boston University

Part of this series:

Day 1: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Active School Forums
Day 2: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Read CC Articles
Day 3: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Conversation Starters (New Members)
Day 4: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Visited CC Hub Pages
Day 5: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Popular College Lists
Day 6: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Helpful Forum Contributors
Day 7: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Popular Instagram Posts
Day 8: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Visited School Profiles
Day 9: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Read Forum Discussions
Day 10: Best Of 2022: Top 10 Most Read Forum Contributors

5 Likes

Based on number of occurrences of those particular school names across all messages?
Based on threads tagging those schools?
Based on how often that school’s “home” thread was visited?
Based on …?

@DigitalDad, this is based on the number of posts in 2022 per school forum.

1 Like

I don’t believe that’s a good way to measure school popularity. For example: there were a massive number of posts on the umich forum this year because of the uncertainty surrounding decision release dates. You’ll see that a lot of posts are venting about the perceived lack of transparency rather than asking questions about the school itself. So I’m not surprised to see it at the top of this list.

Perhaps a count of tags, or auto-links from the parents thread might be more insightful?
Not sure. And probably no easy way to truly measure interest/popularity :person_shrugging:

And here Columbia U tried so hard to make the news, ANY news, to skew yet another popularity contest :wink:

So this topic should be titled:

“Top 10 Most Active School Forums”

If there are a lot of message about grievances with a particular school, that would not be an expression of “popularity”!

5 Likes

On the same note, there was A LOT of discussion on the Berkeley forum about the legal battles surrounding the admissions cap.

2 Likes

University Of Michigan GIFs | Tenor

Yes! That would be far more accurate.

1 Like

I guess that’s a fair point so I’ve renamed the list. Thanks for the input!

1 Like

I’m surprised that UCLA didn’t make the Top 10 list, because of how many times CC members keep asking the same old question again and again: “I received the alumni scholarship email, does that mean I’m more likely to be admitted?”

As for Michigan, the “lack of transparency” takes place every year, not just last year. :grinning:

@sushiritto, actually UCLA is next on the list. Came in at #11. :stuck_out_tongue:

Michigan had 84,000 freshman apps last year and Cal Poly SLO had around 55,000 apps for first time freshman.

With UCLA’s popularity, 150,000 apps, the various scholarship questions, such as Regents, Alumni, etc., even coming in at #11 seems a surprise (low) to me.

Ouch - was that court-ordered? :wink:

1 Like