Can “fit” be good for an atheist at these Christian religiously-affiliated colleges?

One of my kids graduated from Santa Clara University, a Jesuit school. She loved the mission of community outreach and service that was woven into many classes, as well as into the housing communities.

There was a three course religion requirement. My kid really liked those courses a lot. She was a STEM major and the religion courses were a welcome change. There were a hundred or more courses from which to choose. She took a Women in Religion course which she said was great. Also an ethics course. Not sure what the third one was.

We are not religious…in any way….at all. She never felt out of place.

I think you need to look at the religion course requirements at these various colleges…and decide if they are going to be OK for your daughters. Even if they don’t believe…it might be beneficial to hear another perspective.

I will add…when we toured Pepperdine, my kid crossed it off her list because there were three religion courses, but NO choice about which ones to take.

And yes…I know Pepperdine and SCU aren’t on your list…but the comparison is what I’m trying to make.

3 Likes