Chances on me getting into GLADCHEMMS, SSAT Tips

Hii, I am currently in 8th grade and applying for 9th grade 2022-2023 fall at Exeter and quite a few other schools like Deerfield, Hotchkiss, Groton, Milton, Andover, St.Paul, Concord, Lawrenceville, Choate. I think my chances are pretty low looking at other people’s stats. However, I have not taken the SSATs and finished all my essays yet. What do you think can higher the chances for me in getting in?

I compete competitively in piano over 7 years (international competition as well)
my hobbies are songwriting and cycling
English club: speech festivals, writing (with awards but not a great amount)
Tennis: (beginning to learn it) trying to challenge me to have a career in it
The gifted Program at my school also does Model UN
I ballet + Figure Skating for over 7 years but quit, unfortunately (might continue but I accidentally pressed NO on the Candidate Profile)
Acting experiences
Mostly As
Know Chinese and French

So I’m pretty sure the SSAT, recs and essays are super important for me… What advice will you give me for that?

Also, I applied for financial aid but I’m planning to send an email to them saying I won’t need it because I talked to my parents and they said it was fine… (will this email below be fine?)
" Hello (school name):
(and then my personal information)
We said we will be applying for financial aid in the inquiry form and the candidate profile. After some understanding about financial aid, we have decided that we will not be needing it. Will there be any ways to change the status of it on the candidate profile or on the application?"

Thank you

I’m a senior at one of those schools, and I wouldn’t say so. Your profile seems to be pretty in line with that of a typical student; that said, admissions have gotten a lot more competitive since I applied in 2018, so I’m not sure if my knowledge still holds true.

Just make sure that your SSATs and essays are good, and you’ll be fine! Really try to get your personality to shine through in both your writing and the interviews—I’d argue that that is one of the most important parts of one’s application.

Also, I believe that if you don’t submit the financial aid form, you will not considered for financial aid. But sending such an email should help for clarity’s sake.

I’m just a bit worried because I looked at other’s stats and see that they are so much better.
I am from Hong Kong and I am an international student applying… I forgot to mention I also have some leadership roles like class monitress, prefects or subject leader…
I’m just pretty stressed out atm
If anyone has any advice for me pls feel free to responseeeee

1 Like

for piano I’m prepping for ATCL got distinctions in both 5 and 8 with music theory degree

(What can raise my chances of getting in…)

You sound like a terrific candidate. Work in essays. Prep for SSATs

1 Like

Hello, I am international student as well. Pls feel free to message me, so we can help eachother out

hey, for sureee what’s ur discord?

i only have one month or more to prepare for the SSATs, do you have any advice on it?

1 Like

i also have some questions on the character snapshots I’m not really sure if these will be ok grades to submit to the schools

Intellectual (highest demonstrating)
Open-mindedness (highest developing)
Initiative (highest developing)
Resilience (highest developing)
Self-control (highest developing)
Social Awareness (highest emerging)
Teamwork (highest demonstrating)

I think the Snapshot is worthless so no advice.

1 Like

Take a sample test to find out where you are struggling. The online practice module sold by SSAT is actually quite good and not very expensive.

1 Like

thankyou ill do it

1 Like

What do you think are the chances on me getting in?

We don’t have enough info to chance you. And if we did have enough info, we would say we still didn’t because perfect kids who are also full pay get turned down all the time and financial aid kids even more so. So work on the grades and essays and SSAT and find schools where you find a good fit. Also try and find some less selective schools. You can look on hidden gems thread.

2 Likes

How much does the SSAT matter

Hey! I’m a 9th grader at Andover. I know, at least for my school, the SSAT isn’t the most important component of the application - I didn’t even take the test, and still got in. I think if you want to take it, then take it and if it’s a great score, then submit it, but if you’re worried it would weigh down your application, then don’t submit it.

4 Likes

Hello, how do I prepare for the SSAT in 10 days :frowning:

1 Like

Not to be mean (you are a great candidate), but it’s practically impossible to prepare for the SSAT in 10 days :sweat_smile:. Take some time during the Christmas holiday to craft some essays. Maybe PM me ur discord? We can chat there.

2 Likes

Actually I take that back. If you put everything else aside, 10 days is enough to get a decent score. But I still recommend you honing your application. That’s what they care about.

1 Like

can i submit ssat after the decision tho…or is it must before, and if its bad like 70 something percentile is my chances like 0, how do i increase vocab rn? should i go to another country to test again?