Comparison of Pitt, Bing, Rutgers

The thread on CWRU, Pitt, and Purdue (Making a decision: CWRU, Pitt, Purdue [materials science and engineering] - #2 by Creekland) makes me want to ask this question.

Although we are still waiting on a bunch of other decisions, my kid has early action acceptances from Pitt, Binghamton, and can reasonably expect an acceptance from Rutgers’ not-so-early early action (I understand that nothing is guaranteed). We are in NJ, so Rutgers is our in-state option, but surprisingly to me the merit offers from Pitt and Binghamton have come in to make the costs comparable among all three. Kid is interested in Math and Chemistry, but not single-mindedly.

We are most familiar with Rutgers - gigantic, disorganized, but also somehow democratic and inspiring in its variety and diversity. Programs here might have more depth because of their size and numbers of faculty, but also face the getting lost in the crowd factor. The variety of honors programs is another wild card.

Pitt and Binghamton were thrown in primarily because they were good schools with early action, but now that they are cost-comparable, it would be good to know more.

Pitt has the desirable location and good word-of-mouth. I know a couple of families whose kids chose Pitt over Rutgers and are happy. Pitt has impressed with their organized communication and presentation. Those complaining about the Pitt portal should try Rutgers! But I don’t have much information on the relative strength of the Sciences there. I’m sure they are good, but how good?

Bing has also been a very positive application process. The smaller size and undergraduate focus of Bing are appealing, but does this limit research opportunities for students as they progress? Bing has a high reputation that seems not to extend far beyond New York state. Wondering about that as a factor as well.

We have done drive-throughs of the campuses a bit before serious college touring began. Spring visits/accepted student days might come into play if the more rejective reaches reject.

Anyway, these are three state schools that seem to be roughly equivalent in level and reputation, but going about it in very different ways and providing very different experiences. Any insight on how to choose among them would be much appreciated.

1 Like

Pitt is well regarded for science, albeit most I know head there for pre-med even if they change their minds later.

It’s common for it to be a “safety school” for high stat students in our state, but to be literally “chosen” over other acceptances once kids visit. They love the experience there. It is for city lovers. Those who haven’t cared for it are often looking for more of a traditional campus or more suburban/rural settings.

They have a LOT of research at Pitt if that’s an interest.

We, being in southern PA, don’t have many heading to Bing to compare.

I’ve yet to see a student choose Rutgers over Pitt, but I know some who have gone to Rutgers and seem to have enjoyed it there. Pitt draws because it’s in state, has terrific programs for those who choose it, and has sports, etc - many things students here are looking for. High stat students also tend to get merit aid making them as affordable as other options.

4 Likes

We toured 15 plus schools and Pitt surprised our S20 the most in how much he liked it. It ended up in his final two. The majority of colleges he was considering were smaller LACs and I remember he said Pitt felt big and small at the same time.

Bing is much more of an in-state school with less than 10% enrollment out of state. Pitt has around a third out of-state. Also Pitt has a large endowment per student, I believe only ranking behind Michigan and UVA for Public Universities.

2 Likes

Pitt is in a city with three major sports teams, a symphony, theater, etc. It’s really a nice city.

Does New Brunswick have the same type of city feel? Rutgers is an excellent school, but I think Pittsburgh is a more vibrant city.

Bing is an excellent school, but it’s not near any major metro area.

Thanks for the info. New Brunswick has a couple of theaters, but not big city level. Because it is near NYC, with people trying to break into Broadway, the theater is probably a step above what it would be in a place of its size.

Deleware could be another school to consider in with this group. Also, Pitt has Rolling Admissions, where if you get your application in early, you can have a decision far in advance of early action.

Pitt would have a nicer campus and has an excellent reputation in the sciences. It’s also in a nice city neighborhood. I concur with the poster who said upthread that they can’t think of a kid picking Rutgers over Pitt if both are the same cost.
Bing would be good if looking for a smaller setting and more of a residential setting. It attracts some of the best students from NYS and offers an excellent all-around education at a lower price than you’d expect. A downside is that it’s not as “nice” as Pitt in terms of campus and setting, so unless you do not like cities and urban campuses, I’d choose Pitt over Bing. Purely subjective, could be the reverse.

3 Likes

Hoping for a combined mini-vacation to Pittsburgh and Pitt visit in the near future. This just encourages that!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.