Don’t Look Up - Netflix movie ***SPOILERS*** Fun discussion

There seems to be lots of interest so wanted to throw in a thread for spoiler chat (going out, back shortly).

One of my favorite parts was how Jennifer Lawrence’s character got fixated on why the general charged them for free snacks. She just couldn’t let it drop!

More later…

12 Likes

Fun idea for spin-off thread. And yea, the free snack comments were funny.

I found this article interesting, mentioned some of the more subtle associations the I had not noticed (perhaps hubby did - often he catches more than I do) - Don’t Look Up: Who Are the Characters Based On | Den of Geek

Couldn’t get past all the ad blocker stuff to read the article but happy to hear what was said.
I have my own ideas about “who portrayed who” in some respects.
One main takeaway was the media “we only do happy stuff” and “boy, she seemed upset” so she’s a crackpot. “Nobody listens if it’s not a celebrity” and just “We need a hit song to make people listen”. All about social media and how it influences people.

The “free snacks” is pretty big actually.

1 Like

I read that article after watching the movie - interesting. I need a list of all the stray jokes that flew by. For example, after the President starts her big campaign to kill the comet, there’s one scene with a tv in the background showing the racist sexist sheriff being sworn in as a Supreme Court Justice.

This article discusses the tone of the movie - apparently they allowed the actors some improvisation. Don’t Look Up Editor on Why Finding Film’s Tone Was Challenging – The Hollywood Reporter

Another interesting article on the ending and some of the other ideas they tried: 'Don't Look Up' Spoilers: Adam McKay on the End, Post-Credits Scenes - Variety

1 Like

Interesting. Not once did I think “climate change” was the focus. LOL. Oh well! Not even going there here. But media hysteria still rings true.

1 Like

Fun thread idea. I really enjoyed Cate Blanchett’s performance. She nailed the glittery, brittle, smooth-talking newscaster so well.

8 Likes

Sting once farted right in front of me…never made eye contact…totally pulled it off.

1 Like

We (H, myself, youngest “permaculture lad,” & his wife) liked it having not seen much at all about it aside from the movie thread on here, so not knowing what to expect - just pure curiosity. We all would have toned down the sex and swearing to make it more enjoyable - almost turned it off toward the beginning because of it TBH.

But overall, it was interesting. We figured out it was about climate change when they talked about dismissing all the scientists coupled with killing the planet vs just some dying (otherwise thought it might have been the pandemic). Loved how the “good guys” said look at the science - and later on - Just Look Up (since it’s so evident now if one looks at the science).

Otherwise, it’s sadly so real with how divided the world is and how so many don’t care or just want to capitalize on it (any earth event really, not just climate change). There’s a lot of truth in the video - with several clever lines - and representing all types from fully one side or the other, to the middle, to the “who gives a cwap” segment.

I totally understand how those who played in it wanted to be in it.

Though overall, I doubt it will make one iota of a difference. Enough people (most of the people) will still keep killing the planet. We don’t have the 6 month timeline and most can’t be bothered to even make simple changes to their lives. As in the movie, the fact that some care won’t be enough.

I really got a kick out of google when I looked it up afterward. One option google gave me was, “Is Don’t Look Up real?”

8 Likes

Ah, Jason. Still carrying his Birkin at the end (although I wonder if it was his, or was he carrying Mommy’s for her).

Biting satire of the superficiality of the US culture.

And I’m calling “Just Look Up” to be nominated for Best Song Oscar.

4 Likes

I LOVED this movie. I would have happily paid to see it in a theater. It was so clever and so topical. And yes, the free snacks comments were too funny.

7 Likes

Climate change yes. But I actually thought the whole “Don’t look up v. Just look up” theme was totally about what is going on now. Us v. Them. The hats, the rallies, etc… And I didn’t necessarily feel that the film was taking obvious sides, in that the “heroes” were certainly flawed characters, except for Dr. Oglethorpe. I also loved the unsubtle nods to the influence of social media over our lives. I thought the scene flashes of wildlife and places all over the world were a great hammering point of the global reach of all these nasty influences. Just spot on in so many ways and very relevant to the state of the world we live in.

12 Likes

I’ll freely admit one of my favorite things was the prayer Yule gave at the final dinner. So often true faith is dissed in movies.

12 Likes

I’m sure it was his mother’s purse. It reminded me of Gary carrying Selina’s purse in Veep.

2 Likes

I heard an interview of the director on NPR talking about the movie. He mentioned that the scene where DiCaprio was on the morning show alone and he kind of loses it, was DiCaprio’s idea. I really enjoyed the movie and thought DiCaprio’s performance was masterful.

3 Likes

Here’s what the characters reflected. We liked the movie. It was shot prior to the pandemic I believe with so many things ringing true today. Now that’s scary

4 Likes

Make sure to watch all the way to the end. There are two post credit scenes worth seeing.

8 Likes

That was the best movie ending ever. I loved it!

3 Likes

This was the best movie. I am definitely going to watch it again, especially after reading this thread, I think I missed some stuff.

Wasn’t it supposed to be the bag with the nuclear codes, that he was carrying around in his role as chief of staff (?) In a fancy (Birkam?) bag? I’m pretty sure I read that somewhere, I didn’t figure it out on my own :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was catching up on some climate change newsletters from the NYT and immediately thought of Don’t Look Up when I read this:

New York City moved to ban gas hookups in new buildings, joining cities in blue states like California, Massachusetts and Washington that want to shift homes away from burning natural gas because it releases carbon dioxide, which causes global warming.

Instead, developers in New York City will have to install electric heat pumps and electric kitchen ranges in newly constructed buildings.

But the growing push to electrify homes has triggered a political backlash: At least 20 mostly red states including Arizona, Georgia, Florida, Ohio and Texas have passed laws that forbid their cities from restricting gas use. Most of these bills have passed in the last year, backed by the natural gas industry and local gas utilities, which see electrification as a looming threat to their bottom line.

The question of whether to use natural gas in homes has become part of the culture wars, pitting climate activists against industry and other interest groups. Some chefs and restaurant owners have argued that they won’t be able to cook certain dishes as well without gas. Environmentalists counter that gas stoves are a source of indoor air pollution, contributing to diseases like asthma.

This year, Seattle and Eugene, Ore, put forward measures to ban gas hookups in new buildings. Last month, Denver approved an ordinance requiring large buildings to shift to electric heating and cooling “when cost effective.” And on Wednesday, New York City became the largest city in the world to ban gas in new buildings, requiring those up to seven stories tall to go all-electric by 2023 and larger buildings to do so by 2027. (The bill would not affect existing buildings.)

But as the push for electrification has sped up, the gas industry has mounted a counteroffensive.

In March 2020, Sue Forrester, a lobbyist for the American Gas Association warned a meeting of utility executives that the campaign against natural gas was growing quickly, and that the industry needed “to really change the narrative and say that we are part of America’s clean energy future,” according to a recording of the meeting obtained by The New York Times.

But “industry talking about industry isn’t effective,” Ms. Forrester warned. So she outlined a plan to work with community groups to build support for state legislation that would bar cities from restricting gas, which she framed as protecting consumer choice. “The idea behind choice is to really get ahead of the localities, the big cities and counties and say we are allowing our customers the right to have, to be hooked up, to any kind of energy they would like,” she said.

“The message was: ‘You don’t want these California liberals telling you that you can’t have a gas stove,’” said Mary Boren

It definitely fits the movie 100%. Don’t look up!

And it’s why I know the planet is doomed as far as climate change is concerned. Not enough people care. Maybe they do in words, but not when it comes to actually giving something up that they like/want. One table in a population is meaningless. Governments are as likely to hinder the situation as to help it. The movie was spot on with all it showed.

1 Like