Haverford cancels spring season/Centennial League playing without them

I’m empathetic to the issues that athletes may face, but they are no more or less important than the rest of the community.

As the Doc points out, the potential for active transmission during outdoor sports is low, but these kids are not in isolation or pods. The potential for an outbreak among the players on the team is the issue. If we’re going to have an honest conversation about transmission, let’s agree that sex in college is still going on…pandemic be damned. I’m not theorizing…athletes on Haverford’s campus are having sex, attending gatherings, and at some risk for community spread. There are no parties at Drinker, but the idea kids are living in a monastery is wrong.

We can all disagree. I can think it’s a good decision, others do not.

Keep in mind that Swat doesn’t have half of their kids on campus. They probably couldn’t field teams right now. Haverford (IMO) took everyone back on campus for the housing money. I thought the fall was a mistake, but they made it through fine. A bit of confirmation bias goes a long way when you have a personal interest in seeing a specific outcome.

What I find upsetting is the OP taking to multiple places on CC to trash the decision and attempt to damage the school. SkiEurope shut it down immediately, but the action suggests someone here is looking to damage the school. The post here included hints at racism and bullying…which honestly felt a bit weak. I’m merely attempting to present an alternative view. When I do so, the OP suggests I’m an insider…and employee. I’m not…just a parent who wants to see his kid and the others get through the storm and make it out the other side safely.

Yes, mental health is an issue, but the same holds true for everyone else who can’t do the things they assumed when they went to campus.

8 Likes