How to choose your first-choice college for National Merit purposes

“I don’t know where you find the info that says they will get the scholarship; I see no such guarantee.:”

It has ALWAYS said that- for years now, but NMF’s DO always receive the 1/2 tuition scholarship, IF they are accepted, AND enroll AND notify NMC that USC is their final first choice before the early May deadline.

"Both schools require that the applicant choose their school as first choice by March 1st. "

utter rubbish, as far as USC is concerned.
the FINAL first choice decisions , which NM has to have by early May , and then are complied and transmitted to USC by NMC, is the ONLY NMF LIST that USC cares about. There are THOUSANDS of NMF’s who apply to USC.
Many let the admissions office know that they are NMF’s but it wont materially affect their chances of getting a scholarship…

I had a long email conversation with the head of admissions about this very issue, [ DS was a NMF and a Trustee Scholar at USC and he told me that they could NOT care less if a student declares USC their first choice prior to when they get the list, in Late May, of NMF’ who have declared USC to be their final first choice.