Legacy at Williams College

So, I am a junior and here are my stats:
Weighted GPA on a 5 scale : about a 4.0
SAT (1600) : 1530
ACT : 34
Even though my GPA is lacking, the only reason it is so low is because I had a 3.5 freshman year. I got a 4.3 yearly average last year and have a 4.6 yearly average so far this year. My dad graduated from Williams 30 years ago, my uncle as well, and three of my cousins went there. My dad has given on the upwards of 90k in donations to Williams. Does it make sense to even consider Williams? How much does legacy help there?

I gotta be honest. Not much unless you are also highly qualified. You should take advantage of the interview/portfolio review that Williams will do for legacies. Director of admissions met with my D in 2012 and spent 45 min. He reviewed her transcript , scores and her college list and was very straightforward about her strengths and weaknesses. It was pretty obvious from what he said what her chances were (not good). I can’t tell what the rest of your app will look like but Williams has gotten incredibly selective for everyone including legacies. The good news is that as a legacy you do have access to some early info from the horses mouth so to speak.

Definitely try what momofzag recommends. Your test scores are very good, and your grades are on a nice upswing. You’re a serious legacy, and your family has been very generous with Williams. I would think you’d have a solid shot.

FYI, Williams accepted 7% (86) legacy students this year.

@TiggerDad , can you please share the source of that information? Thank you for your help.

https://communications.williams.edu/news-releases/3_23_2017_admittedstudents/

The third paragraph: “A total of 274, or 22 percent, are first-generation college students, and seven percent (86) have a parent who attended Williams.”

My friend had legacy (not to your extent-- father and brother with donation), and had much higher stats. She goes to the #3 boarding school in the nation (St Paul’s in New Hampshire) with a high GPA (equivalent to 3.8 ish) and 34 ACT and lots of EC’s and leadership positions, but she got rejected. Legacy helps but with Williams where there are so many legacy students, its unpredictable!