Looking for Tips, Resources and Suggestions for Applying to University of California's

This response tells what is looked at on the UC applications. And I agree, some CSUs should be considered as well.

lkg4answersForum Champion

May 1

I’m sure someone else will jump in with the GPA chance stats.

I can’t find where College Board has a UC GPA calculation. You might look at which courses at her HS (some UC approved honors courses may be included) qualify for a UC GPA bump (University of California A-G Course List) and then calculate her UC GPA using courses from the summer before 10th grade to the summer after 11th grade. GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub It may be the same number but just verify that CB calculation is correct.

The UCs use 13 criteria to evaluate an applicant. How applications are reviewed | UC Admissions They look at much more than GPA. If your daughter takes advantage of the Activities & Awards section and Personal Insight Questions , it will help her application.

Many applicants focus on the four PIQ but I would make sure she also spends time on the wording and crafting of her descriptions of her extracurricular activities. They allow for 20 and give 350 characters to describe the organization and 350 to describe her involvement. Don’t worry about winning a championship or volunteer title. Describe her role and how she engaged in these activities.

As a CA resident, you should also look at CSUs.