Montana State University for Fall 2022 Admission Discussion

Montana State University for freshman admissions.

For more information visit the Montana State University page on College Confidential.

See updates and discuss results with other Montana State University applicants.

Are you planning to apply early to Montana State University? Why Montana State University? What questions do you have about applying early? Comment in the thread below.

To discuss other Montana State University topics visit the montana-state-university tag on CC Forums.

Have more information about Montana State University ?

This post is a wiki and allows CC members to edit and update relevant information - just click the Edit button in the lower right corner. (You must be a registered user with at least Member level privileges to edit wikis).

2 Likes

Does anyone have information regarding the timing of WUE notifications? At MSU, this is the 2nd highest scholarship they offer.

I found out that they released WUE notifications last week. The selection criteria changed this year. It was awarded based on financial need and not merit (GPA), major, or application date. They were not transparent about the selection criteria on the website and this is significantly different from previous years.

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that! We were shocked that our D who has a 4.0 unweighted and 4.15 weighted was not awarded WUE. This makes more sense now. She did get a $10K scholarship so we are grateful for that piece.

2 Likes

same here

1 Like

Next up is Blue and Goldā€¦anyone?

Did they announce Blue & Gold awards already? I believe applicants were considered for all awards with the one application right?

2 Likes

Yes. One application to be considered for B&G and WUE. I understand now that WUE has passed they are moving to B&G and start announcing in March. I believe the value is up to $3k per year.

1 Like

I went back and looked at the B&G / WUE application. There is a question that asks ā€œHave you or do you plan to complete FAFSA?ā€ or something along those lines. In a very unscientific poll, it seems like those that answered ā€œYesā€ were more likely to receive WUE and I assume B&G too? Regret not filling out the FAFSA. It seems like MSU was encouraging all students to complete regardless of need. Lesson learned.

FAFSA submitted here. No WUE and no B&G.

Completely takes this school off the list as the only point was a CSU-competitive cost.

2 Likes

Same here. FAFSA submitted but no WUE or B&G.

1 Like

Has ANYONE received Blue and Gold?!

Just got an email today that Blue&Gold, Cat scholarships and the presidential have not yet been awarded.

4 Likes

What is the highest (for out of state)?

Up to $3,000 per year for B&G. Presidential is full ride.

1 Like

Our son wasnā€™t awarded WUE & neither were the 3 other admitted freshman we know. While Iā€™ve never found the information online, it does seem that WUE was ā€˜need basedā€™ā€¦? B&G still say it will be April

1 Like

Their out of state recruiting strategy is puzzling. I would have thought they might follow the Alabama approach by generously awarding the highest achieving out of state students to steadily bolster the average test scores and GPAā€™s, raising their academic profile, yield, and rankings. MSU would become more peopleā€™s top choice versus a safety or a last chance. As much as MSU and Bozeman are super appealing, paying more for MSU (ranked in the 200ā€™s nationally) out-of-state versus other WUE, out-of-state colleges near mountains (ranked in the top 100) is hard to fathom. What am I missing? Maybe applications went through the roof this year with Covid? Maybe they donā€™t care because their primary focus is Montana?

2 Likes

More than half of our Montana HS that are college bound seem to be going to MSU. Big recruiting here. They even have a day at school where app fee to any state school is waived and they take time during that day to apply. DS and some of his friends got a priority application sometime last summer that waived the fee and I think he got his decision in a few days.
DS has been offered a couple scholarships and was sent letters asking him to apply for their big scholarships. They do a lot to attract in state achievers and make it hard to say no. If DS gets MUS scholarship he goes tuition free plus other scholarships. He is a top in state student (got this: https://www2.ed.gov/programs/psp/2022/candidates.pdf )
The honors college is the backup plan for many of his friends who are top students and some are taking it.
For in state, MSU is the top choice of the best students who stay (and a lot do). When I have seen the profiles of valedictorian students in local papers each year at least half are headed to MSU, often because of their engineering and Iā€™m guessing $ too good to pass. DS wants out of state, but hasnā€™t closed the door on this, especially with a lot of his friends already going.
I think the Alabama route would be good for them, but in state seems priority.
Edit: I have noticed that a lot of the Presidential awards go to oos.

2 Likes

S22 Just got notified of 1,000 blue and gold, was really hoping for the 3,000 award, but Iā€™ll take it. They added this to his 10,000 achievement award, so total of 11,000/year, which brings MS in line or slightly under UC. He didnā€™t submit for WUE on time and I was kicking myself so much, as his friend got the WUE and itā€™s like 18,000/year. I am feeling a little better as it seems perhaps he wouldnā€™t have gotten WUE anyway as a 4.0 non-need based applicant.

3 Likes