Oberlin College Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

This year, the Early Decision (ED) deadline for the Oberlin College is November 15.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

Son has weighted GPA of 5.01 on 5.0 scale (don’t know what his unweighted GPA is), 1410 on SAT (750 English/660 Math), sings in high scool vocal jazz ensemble, plays piano and guitar, writes music and does an extracurricular creative writing program on weekends. Oberlin is far and away his first choice. He would plan to double major in Musical Studies and Creative Writing.

We are in the process of determining whether he should apply ED to maximize his chances of admission, or to apply RD in the hopes of getting a merit award. Decision needs to be made soon - anyone have any thoughts on his chance of getting in RD vs ED?

I believe (??) Oberlin has a “commitment” award of $10K for ED.

Is he applying to both conservatory and the college? I’m sure you know this, but those are two separate apps.

You can calculate the unweighted GPA by converting A’s to 4.0, B’s to 3.0, etc, and finding the average.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. He wants to study music but in the college, not the conservatory, as his singer/songwriter musical style is not a good fit for a traditional conservatory.

I just calculated son’s unweighted GPA. On a 4.0 scale he has a 3.71 unweighted GPA. That is probably not merit scholarship worthy, so we are leaning heavily towards ED right now.