***Official 2018 Stats/decisions Thread***

Without any further ado, I present to you (after the loooooooong wait) The official 2018 prep school stats/ec’s thread. Credit goes to @atria and @ChoatieMom for the format and @keystosuccess for some of the other things. :smiley:

**Note: this thread is FOR RESULTS ONLY! Any commentary (congratulations, commiseration, etc.) shall only be spoken about on other threads. (Namely the Official 2018 Freakout Thread)

Format (copy & paste all thing below):
Accepted:
Rejected:
Wait listed:
Likely Attending:

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT:
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted:
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews:
• Essays:
• Math Rec:
• English Rec:
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec:
• Principal/Counselor Rec:
• Sports (if any):
• Instruments (if any):
• Other ECs (if any):
• Hook:

Location/Person:
• State or Country:
• Current School Type:
• Ethnicity:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Why do you think you were accepted/rejected/waitlisted?

(End)

General Comments:
Note: Please DO NOT post your stats/ecs until you receive ALL of your decisions…

Accepted: Exeter, Berkshire
Rejected: Kent
Wait listed: NMH, Andover, SPS, Hotchkiss, Choate
Likely Attending: waiting to revisit, also has an excellent public school option

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 99 overall (V 98, Q 94, R 97)
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: overall average ranged 98-101 (weighted, 7th and 8th grade)
• Other stats: CTY SET (700 verbal)

Subjective:
• Interviews: most were terrible; NMH, SPS and Berkshire were okay
• Essays: ranged - could have been better
• Math Rec: Good? Not his best subject, but he’s had the same teacher for 3 years, so she knows him well
• English Rec: probably very good, teacher he’s had for 2 years who loves him
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: personal rec was excellent (saw a copy), extracurricular was probably okay
• Principal/Counselor Rec: probably very good, guidance counselor loves him
• Sports (if any): XC, track
• Instruments (if any): not seriously
• Other ECs (if any): community service (marine bio focused, others through church), podcast, writing, drama, debate, student council
• Hook: legacy at Exeter

Location/Person:
• State or Country: NY
• Current School Type: public
• Ethnicity: white
• Grade Applying For: 9
• Financial Aid/Full Pay: full FA

Strengths: strong academics/test scores, history of seeking more challenging academic experiences, some unusual ECs, challenging family situation demonstrated empathy/maturity/resilience

Weaknesses: needed full financial aid, terrible interviews, not recruited athlete, over represented geographic area

All the weaknesses above, especially needing full financial aid. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to keep running in HS, so didn’t reach out to any coaches, which was probably a mistake. Should have spent more time on essays. Was very uncomfortable with many of the interviews. Didn’t reconnect with the AOs because it felt like bothering them when they were busy. Being a legacy probably tipped the scales for Exeter.

Accepted:
Rejected: Emma Willard, Deerfield, Andover
Wait listed: NMH, Berkshire
Likely Attending:

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 85%ile
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 3.9
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews: pretty good on all of them, they seemed to like me
• Essays: not the best sigh
• Math Rec: nothing special, the teacher doesn’t know me that well
• English Rec: ok I guess, but the teacher was pretty indignant to write one
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: extremely good
• Principal/Counselor Rec: very good, the principal knows me very well
• Sports (if any): basketball
• Instruments (if any): piano, flute, saxophone, and marimba
• Other ECs (if any): yearbook, web design, drama, student government, and community service
• Hook: none

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Vermont
• Current School Type: private Christian
• Ethnicity: Asian
• Grade Applying For: 10
• Financial Aid/Full Pay: FA

Strengths: can play piano extremely well (only three years into lessons and can already play very advanced college-student level pieces). has strong leadership qualities.

Weaknesses: essays weren’t the best. only plays basketball recreationally.

I kind of knew this was going to happen, being an Asian needing financial aid sigh. My stats aren’t the most impressive either, and I’m not a recruit.

**Note: this thread is FOR RESULTS ONLY! Any commentary (congratulations, commiseration, etc.) shall only be spoken about on other threads. (Namely the Official 2018 Freakout Thread)

Accepted: Milton
Rejected: L’ville
Wait listed: Andover, Exeter, Choate, Hotchkiss, Deerfield, Middlesex, St. Paul’s
Likely Attending: Milton '21!! (soso happy!!)

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 99th, 2360’s
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: N/A
• Other stats: N/A

Subjective:
• Interviews: Deerfield’s and Choate’s were the best, L’ville and Milton the next best and the rest were average. SPS was my first, and didn’t go as well.
• Essays: Average, I’d say? I threw in a couple of jokes in Milton’s one :wink:
• Math Rec: 9/10? Short but really good, I’ve known her for a long time and we have a great relationship.
• English Rec: 8/10 Only known for 2 months at the time, but likes me a lot and I love her too :slight_smile: Blind, though.
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: 7/10 Science teacher, blind, but he’s very honest. I trust he gave me a decent rec, but probably would’ve mentioned my weaknesses too? Not sure.
• Principal/Counselor Rec: 8/10 pretty good, mentioned lots of leadership roles and likes my personality.
• Sports (if any): Lacrosse
• Instruments (if any): Piano, Flute
• Other ECs (if any): Multiple leadership roles, Community service, lots of maths contests
• Hook: N/A

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Asia
• Current School Type: Private British
• Grade Applying For: 10th
• Financial Aid/Full Pay: Full Pay

Strengths:
Confident speaker, pretty good SSAT? Decent EC’s.

Weaknesses:
My grades are really weirdly formatted (we were guinea pigs for a new system) and even my parents don’t understand the format? Was too generic in most of my essays.

I think me changing up my essays a bit really matched Milton’s dare to be true? I probably was a bit too generic in the rest of my essays, and my grades would probably be confusing to understand.

I kept in touch with my Milton AO after interviews and exchanged quite a few emails.

(End)

General Comments:
Don’t be afraid to change up your writing a bit, you want to stand out! Make lots of jokes with the interviewer, and make sure they remember you!

Accepted: Hotchkiss, Choate, NMH, SPS, Gov’s
Rejected:
Wait listed: Deerfield,
Likely Attending: Choate or Hotchkiss or Gov’s

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 99% ile overall (99 math, 99 reading, 97 Vocab)
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: N/A
• Other stats: N/A

Subjective:
• Interviews: My best interview was my Choate and Hkiss ones. I felt like I really connected with my interviewers and we had lots of communication through email for some time after. My Gov’s one was pretty good, but since I’m so shy not great. 6/10
• Essays: Writing is NOT my strong suit, so decent, but not exemplary or anything. I wrote about my passions and what I want my future in math to look like.
• Math Rec: Shouldn’t be too good since I spend most of her class doodling or doing work for other class since ai already know all the things we’re learning. 4/10
• English Rec: I love this teacher, and she thinks I am one of her best students so should be pretty good. 8/10
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: I chose my French teacher and since he’s had me for 3 years and I do French club, it should be my best one. 9/10
• Principal/Counselor Rec: I don’t really know. My guidance counselor knows my name and knows who I am, but not brilliant since I don’t really see him much.
• Sports (if any): Water Polo, some Cross Country but I’m the worst person on the team…
• Instruments (if any): Nope
• Other ECs (if any): French Club, Tutoring other students in math, yearbook club, book club at local library
• Hook: My mom and uncle both attended Hotchkiss and I’ve been to the Exploratory program at Deerfield.

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Connecticut
• Current School Type: Medium sized public middle school
• Ethnicity: White

Strengths:
I am a very strong student in science and math Perfect score on math SSAT). I showed through my interviews and essays that I would love to be in a leadership position on math and science teams and do independent study projects in my senior year. `I wrote to Exeter about what exactly I would like to do as my project. Also, I’m decent at Water Polo but 100% not a recruit. Strong test scores and decent interviews.

Weaknesses:
I am not artsy at all. I play no instruments and have no experience in the arts in my extracurriculars. Also, my writing is weak so my essays were nothing special. Also, from an overrepresented state. I can also be quite shy, so my interviews were probably not the best part of my application. I also think my math rec took away from my overall application.

Honestly, I think being a legacy at Hkiss helped a lot and the Exploratory program at Deerfield helped there too, but clearly not enough. I am in shock about NMH and SPS right now, but I already turned down my spot since I think Choate and Hkiss are much better fits.

Accepted: Groton
Rejected: PA, SMS
Wait listed: PEA, SPS, MX
Likely Attending: I guess I have no choice but Groton . . .

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: SSAT: Reading 86% Math 96% Verbal: 92% Overall: 95%
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: I don’t know
• Other stats: Mostly A’s, one or two B’s

Subjective:
• Interviews: Great at Groton, good conversation
• Essays: Original, but I’m not the greatest writer
• Math Rec: Just average
• English Rec: Just average
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: Amazing
• Principal/Counselor Rec: I don’t know exactly
• Sports (if any): Soccer
• Instruments (if any):
• Other ECs (if any):
• Hook:

Location/Person:
• State or Country: MA
• Current School Type: H

Strengths: Soccer, SSAT, Unique family background?

Weaknesses: mediocre recs.

Why do you think you were accepted/rejected/waitlisted? I honestly don’t know …

Accepted: Andover, Deerfield, Choate, Middlesex
Rejected:
Wait listed: Exeter, Groton
Likely Attending: TBD

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 86% reading, 92% verbal 93% quantitative reasoning 99% math achievement
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 96%
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews: Ok
• Essays: Ok
• Math Rec: Great
• English Rec: Great
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: Great
• Principal/Counselor Rec: Ok
• Sports (if any): Golf, soccer
• Instruments (if any): baritone, trombone
• Other ECs (if any): there are too many to list
• Hook: FP, geographic diversity

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Mexico
• Current School Type: Private day
• Ethnicity: white/mexican
• Financial Aid/Full Pay: FP

Strengths:
Rec letters

Weaknesses:
testing

rec letters

Accepted: Hotchkiss
Rejected: Lawrenceville
Wait listed: Kent, Deerfield, Middlesex, SPS, Choate
Likely Attending: Hotchkiss!!!

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 99%
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: We have a weird grading system
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews: Lawrenceville and MX were the best, had a great conversation, Kent, Choate, and Deerfield were average, less conversation and more just question and answer. SPS was very short, and Hotchkiss was with a lady who did not seem very interested in me.
• Essays: Pretty good, a lot were rushed because I started writing them too late.
• Math Rec: Okay, didn’t know my math teacher well enough at the time
• English Rec: Good, my English teacher loves me.
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: Amazing (hopefully)
• Principal/Counselor Rec: Amazing
• Sports (if any): Dance, Volleyball
• Instruments (if any): Piano, Flute
• Other ECs (if any): Student Council, Theater, chinese history, art
• Hook:

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Lived in the US for 12 years, Asia for 2 years
• Current School Type: Private International

Strengths: Interviews and recommendations, SSAT score

Weaknesses: Grading system, some essays, didn’t have enough ‘backup’ for my ECS (e.g. no videos of me dancing or playing volleyball)

I DON’T KNOW BUT I AM SAD

Accepted: None so far.
Rejected: Andover, Taft, Hun & Cate
Waitlisted: None so far.
Likely Attending: Possibly Choate or Exeter – I have not gotten decisions from them yet.

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 60th percentile
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 4.0
• Other stats: I take all accelerated classes. For example, I am a freshman in Honors Chemistry and Spanish 3.

Subjective:
• Interviews: I typically ace interviews, and I felt a nice connection with all my interviewers except for Choate which was a bit weird.
• Essays: I ended up, against my originally moral, hiring an admissions coach. She said my essays were very good, and I ESPECIALLY think my Exeter essays rocked! Exeter is my top school, and the coach was an Exeter alum.
• Math Rec: Since I was attending a boarding school at the time of my application, my math teacher was also my dorm parent and we had a very strong connection. I cannot see him writing a horrible one, but he is also very honest, and I do have my flaws.
• English Rec: Very complicated. I have to assume this was either OUTSTANDING or horrible. (More below!)
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: For Exeter I used my former science teacher, and I think she did a wonderful one. (I especially like science)
• Principal/Counselor Rec: I think it was pretty good.
• Sports (if any): Crew.
• Instruments (if any): Vocal.
• Other ECs (if any): Drama, student council, business club, UNICEF, peer tutor, lots of community service. (The list goes on)
• Hook: I will touch upon this more in my summary below because my application is EXTREMELY circumstantial and unique. I think many will surely get a kick out of my story!

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Northeast
• Current School Type: Public HS
• Ethnicity: Caucasian
• Grade Applying For: 10th
• Financial Aid/Full Pay: Full financial aid.

Strengths: Ace interviews, solid essays, good grades.

Weaknesses: Recommendations might have been horrible (or amazing), terrible SSAT score (I think if anything, that was the killer).

Buckle up and get ready for this story! (It is very long, but I will try to sum it up)
It started this past summer when I was on my second teen tour and a friend recommended Exeter to me. Upon my return home, I knew I was in love after a few quick google searches. I humbly called up the Exeter admissions office and said, “Hi, how do I go about applying for this upcoming school year?”
“You mean the one that starts in 5 days?” The admissions officer applied with a chuckle.
“That’s the one!” I applied with enthusiasm, ready to take on the world.
To my dismay, I would soon be told that this is not how it worked and that I would have to wait months to even apply for the NEXT year. At this point, I began to really educate myself about the world of New England and found a boarding school near me on Long Island which I would attend. At this point, I applied and interviewed directly with the headmaster and was admitted on the spot where we prematurely signed a contract in fear that we may lose the financial aid grant if not signed on the spot. (My mother is a cancer survivor and is unable to work and so her income is $0, (except child support) my grandfather covers the cost of my everyday needs and my private education. The grant this school gave us was for roughly $30,000. I went to this school with, admittedly, the wrong mindset. I viewed this school as simply an interlude to the ultimate goal – Phillips Exeter Academy, America’s #1 College Prep School. I was so excited to attend this boarding school because I thought that all boarding schools were very similar. When I got there, I immediately knew I was not going to like the run down buildings, sheer lack of competence from the staff and just straight up vibes from the place. Nevertheless, I am an optimistic person, and I dived in head first joining the crew team, the drama production, becoming a club president and officer in another, a peer tutor, along with a plethora of other things. (Not to mention some of the best grades in the school :wink: When I first started telling my father that I didn’t really like it there, the staff listened into my conversation and then used it against me in a future disciplinary hearing based off of nonsense. They didn’t like me because I was open to speaking my mind, add my comments whenever I saw appropriate, voice my opinions, take a stance, and most of all, trying to better myself by going to Exeter. They were out to get me. At this school, I met my English teacher, Taft alumni. She was forced multiple times to write reports about me which led to disciplinary hearings and is now not allowed to even talk to me by orders of the headmaster. Her and I both aspired to something greater and wanted to go (for her, return) to proper New England. The way she made it sound, she was desired to help me and thought that I belonged at (specifically) Taft or Exeter. When I went to my Taft interview and told the lady that I knew this English teacher, it turned out she was my English teacher’s coach for volleyball and that they STILL keep in touch and are very close. She took a selfie with me and sent it to my teacher stating, “Look who I found wandering around!” My English teacher responded with, “Oh my god! That’s [my name], he is such a great kid, he belongs at a school like Taft! [Current boarding school name] cannot provide him with what he needs to thrive!” That message, which I saw with my own eyes, carried TONS of weight in terms of the admissions officer, and I felt like I was being treated like royalty the entire time. The officer was even giving me all these little tips on how to get in and other things. She introduced me to kids on the admissions committee, other adults on it, the head of admissions, and many more people. From that moment on, I knew I had gotten into Taft. (Or so I thought) Later on, as I mentioned, I ended up withdrawing from that boarding school after the assistant head of school cursed out my mother, was telling kids to admit to things I did wrong (where I didn’t) or they would face suspension, pressuring staff members, and wrongfully accusing me of multiple major acts of misconduct. This was a very toxic place and kids were expelled on the daily, children were only there to be extorted for their parent’s money. If you were not rich, played basketball, or foreign, you held no value to them and they loved to just expel you and take your money. This very bad situation has now spiraled into a major lawsuit from my family as I can only believe that they did something after I left to detriment my chances of admission. I applied to 6 schools and had hooks into my top 2 choices. (Exeter & Andover) I understand that my SSAT score was bad, but there is no way that with all of these factors in mind, I didn’t even get waitlisted into one. There are SO many more details and people involved in the story that I can write an entire novel about it. I would write more, but I have minor carpel tunnel and my right hand is really giving me some trouble right now. I would be more than happy to give out more information or answer any questions upon request if you find the story interesting.

Also, CONGRATULATIONS to those who did get accepted to schools they applied to. I have literally prayed to go to Exeter and dreamt about it night after night for the past 6 months without skipping a day. Unfortunately, my dream could not come true for one reason or another. I don’t ask for pity, all I ask is that you take this amazing chance you have been given and enjoy every last minute of it! Do not take it for granted, as there are SO many more like me out there.

So why was I denied? Honestly, I don’t know, and the sad thing is I don’t think I ever will. There are just too many variables that could have made me, or broke me.

[NOTE: Had to cut characters]

Accepted: Andover, NMH, St. Paul’s
Rejected: Peddie
Wait listed: Loomis, Taft, Concord
Likely Attending: Andover

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 86% SSAT
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: I have no idea (90 something average?)
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews: St. Paul’s was great, Andover was great as well, and Taft being mediocre as it was my first
• Essays: I think my essays were quite strong and some of the best compositions I’ve written in my school life
• Math Rec: Great
• English Rec: Great
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: Great
• Principal/Counselor Rec: Great
• Sports (if any): Dance, Volleyball, Basketball, Field Hockey, Golf, Tennis
• Instruments (if any): Piano, Clarinet (I don’t play anymore)
• Other ECs (if any):

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Canada + cCanadian citizenship
• Current School Type: Private day

Strengths: Interviews, EC’s, essays

Weaknesses: some interviews

I have a brief idea but I’m not sad over it as I got into Andover and will probably be attending there!

Accepted: Andover, Hotchkiss
Rejected: Deerfield
Wait listed: Exeter, Lawrenceville
Likely Attending: Andover Class of 2022!!!

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 99%ile
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 4.6 (out of 5)
• Other stats: None

Subjective:
• Interviews: Really good
• Essays: Ranged from decent to mediocre
• Math Rec: Blind, ok
• English Rec: Blind, pretty good
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: Really good
• Principal/Counselor Rec: Blind, ok
• Sports (if any): Badminton (3 years)
• Instruments (if any): Piano (10 years), Violin (5 years), Viola (3 years)
• Other ECs (if any): Bunch of community service
• Hook: None

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Thailand
• Current School Type: Private Day

Strengths: SSAT, ECs, Interviews

Weaknesses: Sports, Grades (kind of)

I’m honestly still shocked about my acceptances.

Accepted: N/A
Rejected: N/A
Wait listed: Middlesex, Concord Academy, St. Mark’s School, Brooks
Likely Attending: Whoever takes me off waitlist first, or public high school
Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: SSAT: 95th reading, 92nd math, 87th verbal, 95th overall, PSAT: 99th math, 95th English, 99th overall
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted:Unweighted: 3.8, weighted: 4.7
• Other stats: Not really special but taking an AP class as a sophmore

Subjective:
• Interviews: Middlesex was by far my best, had a great conversation about how my weakest subject was English, and my strengths and weaknesses as a student and as person.
Concord was my worst, very undynamic situation where she just seemed uninterested in me.
St. Mark’s School, mediocre not much to say, very average.
Brooks, good, but I think I came off as a little cocky about my grades.
• Essays: They were pretty mediocre I think, mainly talking about one particular teacher of mine who I admired greatly and was the main reason I applied to BS.
• Math Rec: Very good, am doing very well in his class, and he likes me.
• English Rec: Mediocre at best, doing averagely in her class, and she doesn’t particularly like me
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: N/A?
• Principal/Counselor Rec: Counselor didn’t know me at all so I couldn’t have less of an idea.
• Sports (if any): N/A
• Instruments (if any): N/A
• Other ECs (if any): N/A
• Hook: N/A

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Massachusetts
• Current School Type: Public school
• Grade Applying For: 10(repeat)

Strengths: My academics were very strong, and my essays might have resinated with some of the AOs.

Weaknesses: My ECs were definitely my biggest weakness,

Probably just because I had very weak EC’s

General Comments:
Don’t be like me, do EC’s.

Accepted: Blair, Williston, Miss Porter’s, Santa Catalina, Millbrook, Kent and a day school :slight_smile:
Rejected: Andover
Wait listed: Choate, L’ville, Groton
Likely Attending: I have no idea whatsoever!

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 94% (99 V, 96 R, 67 Q)
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 3.8-ish
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews: I’m pretty good at extemporaneously speaking, and the interviewers were pretty complimentary; probably a strength.
• Essays: Ranged; some were pretty good, others were a bit generic.
• Math Rec: Good, known math teacher for a while, and she seems to like me. (blind)
• English Rec: Very strong, known English teacher for a long time as she was my robotics, debate and gifted and talented program teacher. English is generally my strongest subject. (blind)
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: Very strong, from drama teacher who I’ve done many a show with. (blind)
• Principal/Counselor Rec: Good, I’ve known her well for quite a while. (blind as well)
• Sports (if any): Tennis
• Instruments (if any): Percussion, Piano
• Other ECs (if any): Competitive robotics, coding, teaching younger kids for after school programs (in theatre and STEM), drama, singing, dance, published writer, podcast.
• Hook: Legacy

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Wild west
• Current School Type: Medium public

Strengths: Full pay, legacy, semi-original ECs, geodiversity, strong recs.

Weaknesses: Poor math score, meh grades, no serious sports and no hook, (except for legacy school), ORM.

I have no clue!

Advice for future applicants:

Cast a wide net!

Accepted: Peddie
Rejected: L’ville
Wait listed: Groton, Exeter
Likely Attending: Either groton or exeter if I get off waitlist, if not either my local day school or peddie

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 95th Percentile
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 3.95
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews: All of them were great, especially Peddie, Exeter and Groton (L’Ville not so much)
• Essays: I poured my heart and soul into them, nothing else to say.
• Math Rec: She said she wrote me a really good recommendation
• English Rec: Not sure, but my report card comment was good
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: Very good and introspective from former Kung Fu instructor
• Principal/Counselor Rec: Very good, she told me just today that she wrote very good comments
• Sports (if any): Tennis, Soccer
• Instruments (if any): Piano, Guitar
• Other ECs (if any): Debate, Leukemia Kids Community Service Project, Student Council, Academic Decathlon
• Hook: Honestly, none.

Location/Person:
• State or Country: China but US Citizen
• Current School Type: International
• Ethnicity: Bi-racial - Japanese, American

Strengths:

Interviews, EC’s, essays, recs

Weaknesses:

Lack of legacy? Lack of hook? Honestly I don’t wanna be that guy but I’m not that sure.

Peddie because I had a great interview and my essays reflected my personality quite a bit, groton and exeter because I demonstrated interest but no legacy or geodiversity, lawrenceville because my interrview wasn’t great?

Accepted: none
Rejected: Thacher
Wait listed: Lawrenceville, Cate
Likely Attending: local public school

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 95% overall (V: 95%, Q: 96%, R: 77%)
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 3.9
• Other stats: CTY high honors, AMC 8 honor roll

Subjective:
• Interviews: DS is confident, engaged, opinionated and doesn’t always pick up on social cues. Lawrenceville was the first and was not good. Second was at Thacher and lasted over 45 minutes, however parent interview didn’t go well. Third was at Cate, and I thought it went really well. Felt comfortable and well-received.
• Essays: In hindsight, we both should have spent more time here. Used SAO, and didn’t think questions were great.
• Math Rec: Blind, said he gave good rec and DS would do well at boarding school (went to boarding school himself).
• English Rec: Blind, said he gave good rec and loves how DS is so engaged in class.
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: none for SAO
• Principal/Counselor Rec: Counselor has never met DS. over 900 kids in public school for only 2 counselors. I met with counselor once to discuss DS strengths and weaknesses and ask for help on something. In hindsight, I wonder if this came through rec? Could have been a negative.
• Sports (if any): water polo and swimming, mediocre, but has a good build for it and could see him getting good.
• Instruments (if any): none, played bass guitar as a youngster and was in a band, but didn’t put it on app, because it has been years
• Other ECs (if any): math club, math competitions, takes AP stats through CTY, performing arts, chorus
• Hook: legacy at Lawrenceville, mom went there.

Location/Person:
• State or Country: California
• Current School Type: public, large
• Grade Applying For: 9th grade
• Financial Aid/Full Pay: some financial aid

Strengths: math, picks up abstract concepts easily, confident, enthusiastic, a good kid if a little innocent/immature

Weaknesses: likes to debate, beats to a different drum, could have had bad rec from counselor even though she has never met him (see above), plays sports but not well enough for an athletic hook

Why do you think you were accepted/rejected/waitlisted? I was surprised by the waitlist at Lawrenceville, because of the legacy, but the interview did not feel good. It stung, because I left a piece of my heart there when I graduated over 25 years ago. Application just wasn’t strong enough for Thacher, which is a shame, because I think he would have been a good fit with astronomy/physics program they have. Other reasons: financial aid. SSAT scores could have been higher. In hindsight I wish DS would have studied for them, but he went in cold and took them only once in January (the only time it was offered within a reasonable drive). I feel that SAO questions for essays were not great; Should we have done individual apps? If I ever do this again, I will highlight his quirkiness in the parent essays. Finally, DS is oldest of 4 kids, and maybe schools were worried about taking on the whole family. I think he was a good applicant but just not good enough. We did not cast a wide net, because our local public school is very good. We were going for broke (and hoping for a good FA package).

(End)

General Comments:

Accepted: :frowning:
Rejected: Andover
Wait listed: Exeter, Hotchkiss
Likely Attending: Bronx HS of Science if not taken off waitlist at either

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: PSAT 96%
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 93
• Other stats: NA

Subjective:
• Interviews: exeter 8/10 super nervous and first one; andover 6/10 interviewer didn’t like me for some reason. Hotchkiss 9/10, interviewer liked me and we talked for a while.

• Essays: Bit rushed, but I thought they brought out the best in me
• Math Rec: blind
• English Rec: blind but teacher really likes me
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: blind but scoutmaster really likes me
• Principal/Counselor Rec: blind
• Sports (if any): baseball, swimming
• Instruments (if any): piano, bagpipes
• Other ECs (if any): boy scouts, altar serving

Location/Person:
• State or Country: NY
• Current School Type: NYC Specialized High School
• Grade Applying For: 11
• Financial Aid/Full Pay: Partial FA

Strengths:
Dual sport, high psat/grades, two instruments, essays, working towards eagle scout

Weaknesses:
Didn’t reach out to coaches, which was probably a mistake. Also 11th grade is extremely competitive to get into. Not too many awards either. Interviews somewhat short
11th grade is extremely competitive to get into. Stats probably similar to many others.

Accepted: McCallie (MDHS), Baylor (DSP)
Rejected: Andover, Exeter
Likely Attending: McCallie or Baylor (whoever gives more fin aid)

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 85% SSAT
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: Honestly, idk

Subjective:
• Interviews: My Andover one wasn’t very special, I really liked Exeter but it probably wasn’t super memorable, and all my interviews at McCallie and Baylor have been great.
• Essays: My essays for McCallie and Baylor were really great and reflective, Exeter’s were okay, and Andover’s were pretty good
• Teacher Recs: I had to waive all my teacher recs because my school has a dumb policy against it
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: Eh… I had my swim coach do it and it probably wasn’t super shining
• Sports (if any): Swim
• Instruments (if any): Trombone (1st Chair)
• Other ECs (if any): I started a club called the Thought Forum and I did Model UN
• Hook: I’m from TN

Location/Person:
• State or Country: TN
• Current School Type: Public
• Grade Applying For: 9th

Strengths: I have no clue what my strengths would be. I paid for my application myself because my parents wanted me to have skin in the game, and I think that could’ve helped, but overall, I wasn’t really a strong competitor for A/E.

Weaknesses: Low SSAT, no shining recs, no super memorable interviews. I’m not sure why I thought I was in the running for A/E. But honestly, I’m not sure I mind. Note to whoever reads this, A/E doesn’t need to be your goal. They’re most certainly not the only good schools. Check out some southern schools too - they’re certainly equipped for your interests - I mean they don’t have two observatory domes, but do you really need that? Just saying…

Why do you think you were accepted/rejected/waitlisted? I feel like I mostly covered it in my strengths and weaknesses.

Accepted: Mercersburg, George
Rejected: None
Wait listed: Blair
Likely Attending: Going to both revisits, but most likely Mercersburg

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: very lopsided, overall percentile 60%
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 3.8 approx
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews: All went well, interviews had positive feedback
• Essays: well written
• Math Rec: blind, but I assume it was good, he’s in the advanced math class
• English Rec: blind, but I assume it was good
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: blind, from theater arts director
• Principal/Counselor Rec: blind, but I think it was very strong, she knows him well
• Sports (if any): soccer, basketball
• Instruments (if any): clarinet and guitar
• Other ECs (if any): recreational flag football for 7 years (Fall and Spring), lots of theater experience, yearbook editor, leadership position at school

Location/Person:
• State or Country: Mid Atlantic State
• Current School Type: Private K-8

Strengths: attends a K-8 feeder school, so BS’s are very familiar with the school. Very personable and outgoing, can talk to anyone. Into both the arts and sports.

Weaknesses: SSAT score

Why do you think you were accepted/rejected/waitlisted? SSAT score

Accepted: Exeter
Rejected: none
Wait listed: none
Likely Attending: Exeter

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: SSAT Q 85% R 99% V 99%
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: 4.0 unweighted
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews: very well
• Essays: one good, one very good
• Math Rec: blind, probably good
• English Rec: blind, probably very good
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: blind, probably very good
• Principal/Counselor Rec: blind, probably good
• Sports (if any): fencing
• Instruments (if any): violin
• Other ECs (if any): school literary magazine staff member, assistant teacher for Hebrew school at my temple

Location/Person:
• State or Country: NH
• Current School Type: public

Strengths: intellectual curiosity

Weaknesses: Hermione-esque tendency to take over group projects

I think I was accepted mainly because of my interview, one of my essays, and some fantastically good luck; I think that these were areas where I did a good job of emphasizing why I’d be a good fit for PEA and what makes me unique.

Accepted: Lawrenceville, Choate Rosemary Hall, Middlesex
Rejected: None
Wait listed: St Andrew’s, Groton
Likely Attending: St Paul’s or Lawrenceville, but I have to revisit both

Stats:
• SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: SSAT: 91 Overall (79 reading) (88 math) (91 verbal) ISEE: 79 for quantitative reasoning, 89 for mathematics achievement, 99 for reading, 94 for verbal
• GPA Unweighted/Weighted: All A’s
• Other stats:

Subjective:
• Interviews: Amazing for Choate, L-ville, and SPS. Okay for Middlesex. Akward for Groton and St Andrew’s
• Essays: Great for SPS. Others were good.
• Math Rec: Very good
• English Rec: Amazing
• Personal/Extracurricular Rec: Both very good
• Principal/Counselor Rec: Very good
• Sports (if any): cross country, track
• Instruments (if any): alto horn
• Other ECs (if any): drama, model congress, volunteer work
• Hook: I go to a K-8 feeder school

Location/Person:
• State or Country: New Jersey
• Current School Type: Private
• Ethnicity: African American
• Grade Applying For: 9th
• Financial Aid/Full Pay: Financial Aid

Strengths: Great Essays

Weaknesses: Akward Interviews

I put an immense amount of effort into this process, and it payed off