***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@NoviceDad, @SriSow, @grtd2010
Thank you so much for your perspective. Very helpful.

I double checked my math and did the calculation again because I don’t want to provide wrong guidance to my S either!

Everyone’s perspective is different. In this forum we discuss and share perspectives so we can take the right decision. What seems important to me may not seem important to others. This is exactly why it is hard to judge which BS/MD is better than the others. Getting into one BS/MD is all we seek in this forum.

Since we needed to make the decision in our family, I ended up doing the calculations which included more than the tution.

My CALCULATIONS:

OOS Stony Brook $43,761 per yr. For 4 years - 175K
OOS Stony Brook (Renaissance) Medical school $89,837 - For 4 years (359K)
Total SBU/Renaissance for 8 yrs program is: 535K (without scholarship)

Total SBU/Renaissance for 8 yrs program is 448K (with scholarship) for us.

OOS PSU $53,056; For 3 years (159K)
OOS SKMC $83985; For 4 years (336K))
Total OOS 7 years PSU/SKMC: 495K
In state tution for PSU for 3 years – 105K; Total 7 years PSU/SKMC: 441K

Stony brook undergrad ranking -91.
Stony Brook University–SUNY is ranked No. 58 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 84 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.
Matriculation requirement: Maintain a minimum 3.4 GPA. Successfully complete and attain a cumulative MCAT score comparable to the national average of medical school matriculates.

PSU undergrad ranking -57. Thomas Jefferson University (Kimmel) is ranked No. 57 in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 52 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.
Matriculation requirement: Maintain a minimum 3.5 GPA. MCAT – 504

Summary: There isn’t much of a difference in cost between these colleges. Which of these colleges is better than others depend on each person’s perspective and if they think the extra cost makes sense when they come with their respective decisions!

PSU/SKMC tution OOS was 40K less than SBU/Renaissance (without scholarship)

PSU/SKMC tution OOS was 47K more than SBU/Renaissance (with scholarship)

PSU/SKMC tution in-state was 7K more than SBU/Renaissance (with scholarship)

These two colleges are important and relevant for us because we need to make the decision as a family regarding which one is better. I definitely could use advise from others and appreciate the help