"Parenting" changes when they go away to college

<p>We’re boarding school parents, so we went through this transition when our 14-year-old went off to school three years ago. He was one of those kids who transitioned well, without homesickness, and hit the ground running with little need to communicate with us. Ouch. He’s a senior now, and we’re still lucky if we get him on the phone for any length of time every one or two weeks. We never text. College next year won’t be anything new for him or us; we just hope he ends up some place that can be reached by a non-stop flight as currently no airline flies non-stop from our home to his school, so travel logistics are complicated.</p>

<p>I remember how I felt after his first year and posted this a long time ago on the BS board, but I’ll share it again as many of you who have just sent a child off for this first time are probably having some of these feelings. I can tell you that it gets better, and this separation you’re enduring is an important part of letting your child take the next step toward independent adulthood. That’s a good thing…really…even if it doesn’t feel like it right now. Hugs to you all.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Then, later when kind posters were trying to give me ideas on how to fill the empty time until DS was home again:</p>

<p>

</p>