Rice University Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

This year, the Early Decision (ED) deadline for the Rice University is November 1.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

3.95 GPA top Private School, CA
34 ACT
Engineering major

First time poster- just starting the process. My son is applying ED and there seems to be a discrepancy on the common app and the Rice webpage about supplementals. Common app is offering two prompts, while Rice website is asking for 3- two 150 word essays and one 500 word essay. Does anyone have any clarification? Thanks!

My son was wondering the same thing! Please post if you get an answer (heā€™s hoping itā€™s the option without the 500 word essay!)

Iā€™m also a dog mom of 2 :-). Weā€™ve been scouring the internet and asking some teachers- the consensus seems to be that they need to do all 3 supplementals and attach the longer one as an additional document. My son emailed admissions to confirm so Iā€™ll let you know for sure when we get a response.

1 Like

Thanks for the info but that seems quite awkward. My older son applied to Rice two years ago and all three supplements were available on the common app. I think Rice is coming to visit my seniorā€™s HS this week so he can ask the rep!

2 Likes

We cracked the code. When you click on the what school are you applying to tab it ā€œunlocksā€ the other supplemental. Probably because for certain specific areas of study,
There may be additional or different questions. So tell your son to get writing :slight_smile:

1 Like

I applied Rice ED on 10/7. Chemistry/Latin Culture dual major (or major/minor). I know I donā€™t have a great chance of being admitted but it is my first choice school. Just wanted to join this thread to see stats of other students applying and join all the excitement in mid-December.

Unweighted GPA: 4.0
SAT:1470
Dual Credit 64 credits 4.0
NMC
International Internship Senior Year

1 Like

My daughter just worked on Rice- she worked on total of 3 essays (two shorter and 1 long).

3 Likes

GPA: 3.90(UW) 4.97(W)

OPT out SAT/ACT

Class Rank: 74/888

Major: Psychology

EC: Varsity Tennis 4 years,French Club,Debate,NHS

3 Likes

Rice really likes demonstrated interest. If possible going to campus, interviewing with admissions, and spending time with students in one of the colleges is very helpful.

5 Likes

4.0 unweighted
5.7 weighted
1460 SAT
Class rank 33/900

Major: English

:crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Can you explain what you mean by ā€˜interviewing with admissionsā€™?

https://riceadmission.rice.edu/portal/virtual-interview

thank you!

1 Like

-4.0 unweighted

-14 AP classes throughout high school

-1540 SAT

ECs:
-Varsity Baseball
-Research Assistant for prof.
-Violin
-Math Tutor
-Volunteering

Major: Econ

Strong essays, decent recs, strong demonstrated interest

Can someone chance me? (Asian male)

2 Likes

-12/500 class rank
-A couple local violin awards, AP Scholar, Commended National Merit

1 Like

Go Owls! Hoping to hear from Rice this week for ED results.
Iā€™m homeschooled in Arizona; applied Rice ED; business/finance/economics
Most high school credits from online accredited institution.
9 dual enrollment credits from Embry Riddle and Arizona State U.
4.0 UW gpa
34 ACT
EC: founder non profit music tutor org
schoolhouse.world tutor
debate
cello/ orchestra youth symphony
rural local chess club founder
independent economics research
coding

2 Likes

hi! does anyone know when ed decisions will be released? I know for the last couple of years it fell on the 2nd thurs of December (which means it should be this thurs) but rice did not send a notification out yetšŸ˜…

4 Likes

I was wondering the very same thing! No notification like in previous years.

6 Likes