The Wait List

Thanks, @ChoatieMom. I try… :slight_smile:

Don’t kill me, but I just want to add something to what I said above, and I promise it WILL be very long and exhausting like all my other posts. Seriously - at this point, it feels like I’m leaving my Final Instructions in a Will… So hang in there with me, if you can!

For FA Families ( and FP families, too ) - I feel the need to pound this a little more because I’ve known families over the years ( both FA and FP ) who did implement a Plan B and were successful.

So- back to PLAN B for a very long-winded second :

Having a Plan B prior to M10 doesn’t only apply to full pay students/ families. If you require ANY amount of aid ( including a full ride ), it would behoove you to have a Plan B in place, too!! FWIW- Many BSs don’t always award all their FA just to award it on M10. Sometimes they’d rather reserve some of it for when the right candidate or candidates come along. Sometimes a post A10- Hail Mary applicant can be “The One” they’ve been looking for all along and boom- that student is accepted post A10 with FA.

Maybe you cold call a BS ( not on your original list ) after A10, and they encourage you to apply because someone that very morning gave up their spot and FA, and there isn’t a viable candidate/ app next in line… ( not that they would EVER disclose that information to you ), but I’m sure you can see how luck, determination, and timing ( see BS Gods ) can sometimes play a major role with late placement .

Post FA scenarios- especially the "Where have you been all my life - You’re a perfect fit for us " admissions scenario is always considered fairly rare, but it can- and it does happen- sometimes more often than people think! Without getting anyone’s hopes up too much- you just can’t possibly know if this could be your ultimate outcome unless you try- Hence - Plan B!

First, everyone ( FP and FA ) needs a new and improved mindset: Regardless of your stellar mind-blowing stats and Carnegie Hall appearances ( I know… I know… ) - I strongly suggest compiling a Plan B list of schools taken from the Top 25-50 - which should include some amazing iconic single sex schools. Heck- they’re all pretty amazing and iconic! But be forewarned- these schools are also the top choice for many discerning top students and their families. Just know that before going in… they’re quite popular and have a cult like following like Top Ten schools have , too…

Just not here on CC for whatever bizarre reason.

If you get unpleasant results on M10 just remember this : YOU chose schools that have the most unforgiving acceptance rates in the universe, but that fact doesn’t make other schools in the Top 25-50 " less than" or somehow beneath you. Make sense? Trust me- you won’t be stooping or gracing schools that fall outside the Top Ten with your presence. If you want to move forward- you will need to change the failed mindset that led you to this very unholy place in the first place, and shop all these other wonderful schools outside the Top Ten with renewed spirit, confidence and ( just say it ) intelligence.

Okay- onward. Now that I got that out of my system one last time …

If you do have an unfortunate outcome M10 and do call around to schools post A10, please do not talk to some random receptionist or AO who picks up the phone. A PARENT should always call and ask to speak directly to the Director of Admissions because only he or she will have the info you need . Simply ask them if they’re open to receive a late application and if they are, get it off to them ASAP and follow up. As I’ve mentioned above- you won’t be the only family doing this. If you’re lucky and they invite you for an interview and tour after they’ve read your late app - MOVE MOUNTAINS and GO!! Like my caps? AOs usually don’t extend invitations for an interview and tour Post A10 to anyone unless they like what they see on an app, so go and seal the deal!

SCHOOLS WITH ROLLING ADMISSIONS:

BSs with Rolling Admissions tend to change year to year, but you can find a list of schools on the SSAT website. Last year, there were some top notch schools on the list that I would’ve sent my kids to in a heartbeat. Seriously- I almost fell off my chair when I saw some of the names on the list!! So definitely check it out now and continue to check the list as it gets updated throughout Spring.

Remember- this list changes year to year ( for a myriad of reasons which has NOTHING to do with quality, desirability, or the number of apps they’ve received prior to M10 ) and a school being on the RA list shouldn’t negatively impact anyone’s opinion of the school in any way, shape or form - unless you’re a total snob for whatever reason. Some schools on last year’s list had ( and still have ) a 35% acceptance rate! IDK about you, but I’ve never sneezed at a 35% acceptance rate … but I’d still like to meet anyone who does- just so I know what that sounds like… . :wink:

The Good News: Some amazing BSs also put themselves on Rolling Admissions because they know there are always quality latecomers ( like you! ) who missed the deadline for the last round and they’re encouraging people to apply. They also know that some really great students and their families will get shutout on M10- and there’s absolutely no shame associated with that because it happens all the time. If you see a school or two that you like on the RA list- apply and see what happens!! Even better- if you’re concerned about M10 today , and want to have an edge on other late applicants- call and see if they’ll accept an app now or before or after A9!! What do you have to lose?

More Good News : Whether you go down your own list and cold call schools in the Top 25-50, or take on schools from the SSAT RA List, it is possible to still find placement Post A10 and the school of your new dreams for next year- FA or FP. These schools are in the position to offer ANY student ( FP or FA ) a world class education. It may be more boutique than big box cattle call school, but you will never have to compromise on academic excellence, athletics, campus beauty and college placement. It’s worth a shot.

So- please don’t hesitate to put together a Plan B- especially if you NEED a school for next year. Based on my experience on CC during M10-A10 over waaay too many years , it could arguably be the best use of your time right now leading up to decisions. Do it now while everything is calm, because I can assure you that it won’t be calm later on if you receive all waitlists and rejections.

Well, I think that’s finally it! My work here is done! :slight_smile:

All the best to everyone and good luck on M10 !!