The Wait List

You are most welcome, @MentorBee ! I see some newcomers pouring in so I will post again so everyone is battle ready. :slight_smile: Good luck!!

What to do if you get waitlisted at your first choice school :

Here’s the drill :

If you receive a WL decision from your first choice school and an acceptance from another school- the steps are pretty simple:

1. Accept a place on the WL via email with Delivery and Read Receipts.

2. Schedule a Revisit Day and put the WL school OUT OF YOUR MIND for now. Go to Revisit Day and have a great time.

You’ll have one month for the WL to shakeout and to make a decision about the other school . If you want to go the distance with the WL school ( WITHOUT jeopardizing the other school ) you’ll have until A9. On A8 have your PARENT call the WL school and ask to speak to the DOA. Tell WL school that you have to act on an acceptance from another school before the deadline but you’d like to check WL status ( one last time ) before you do. If they tell you that they’re NOT going to the WL or they don’t expect much movement- thank them and have them remove your name from the WL.

It’s time to MOVE ON unless you choose to stay on the WL. If WL school miraculously does come through ( after A10 ) you’ll have to break your commitment with the other school and forfeit your deposit (which is NOT a mere bag of shells, by the way ) . Personally, I could never take this route because I’m waaay too frugal and I like closure .

I’m also big on keeping commitments- but that’s just me. So- now we’re one or two days away from the deadline…

1. Now that you’ve given the WL time to play out ( and you can walkaway and never wonder because you’ve seen it through to the end… ) : Have your parent call the school ( you’ll be attending ) and tell them the deposit check is on it’s way via FedEx.

THE END. LOVE THE SCHOOL THAT LOVES YOU. PERIOD.

Now, If you’re handed all Waitlists without any acceptances … Here’s basically what you need to know :

Unfortunately, all you can do is remain calm. Out of the gate, I highly recommend that a WL student sends an email to all the school (s) just as I outlined in Step One above. Then the waiting truly begins because the AOs are completely focused on accepted students and Revisit Days until A10.

Yes, a waitlist parent can call an AO M10-A10 to echo what was said in their child’s WL email, or to get a WL status update, but just remember where the AO focus is ( as cruel as that sounds- I’m so sorry! ), and please remember that all interaction between you and the AO truly matters. IMHO- it’s better to remain cool, upbeat and patient at all times . Persistence ( aka stalking ) has worked out well according for some persistent parents… but it has also backfired miserably on numerous parents , too. Everyone operates differently and I’m not here to tell anyone what to do… just do what feels best and works well for your family.

If I had to pick two days for a WL parent to call ( after the M10 student email accepting a place on the WL ) , I would pick the day after their last scheduled revisit day ( see school website ) and A11- the day after contracts/ deposits are due… but that’s just me. I think it’s perfectly fine to call anytime before or on A9, too. Just NOT on A10… because it’s absolutely nuts in every BS AO office that day.

*** THIS IS IMPORTANT *** Before and after A10, you’ll hear about some WL movement here on CC. You’ll also see discouraging posts saying that your school has closed their WL. Please DISREGARD these posts unless you’ve received the SAME letter, email, or you were told the same information over the phone by the AO. You may not be receiving the same information for a good reason.

Most schools send out a blanket notification to all families when they officially close their WL… While some ( forgive me ) will leave you languishing in the desert forever.

FWIW- even though it’s rare, some Waitlist movement can happen before school begins in late August / early September. Movement can also occur in July, too … because that’s when the big money is due, but please don’t hang your hat on it. Life intervenes, plans change and spots at BSs do open up, but sadly it’s still very rare to be offered a spot .

The best WL advice that I’ve heard during M10-A10 ( and beyond ) is to keep an open heart, keep doing all the things you love , and keep moving forward . If you need to pause and vent- there are plenty of veterans ( parents and students ) that are here for you… many who have experienced exactly what you’re going though and could give much better WL advice than I can. So definitely reach out if you need to - even if it’s for a lousy cyber hug.

Also important: You may need a Plan B…

If you get completely shutout on M10 and BS enrollment for next fall is an absolute must either because you don’t have a viable school option at home, or your child just really, really, really, really wants to go ( which happens more often than most people think … ) … I recommend researching schools with forgiving admission rates and compiling a list with DOA phone numbers attached NOW. Also- maybe look at some single sex schools so you’ll be ready to act quickly ( if you need to ) just before or soon after A10.

Tip: You won’t be alone. I know many families who were unsuccessful with their Hail Mary placement efforts post A10 - mainly because they clung to a stupid Waitlist too long instead of contacting other schools- so don’t delay! Just do it and don’t look back. You never know- the Post A10 Hail Mary school might just be where you were meant to be all along. File it under: Sometimes things happen for a reason. :slight_smile:

Regardless of what your BS dreams are today - families ( who truly want or need BS placement for next year ) should have at least one " Plan B- What If… WL- Rejection- BS Zombie Apocalypse " conversation prior to M10 . Perhaps take some time to explore and discuss other possible- future BS options/ alternatives together… just in case the apocalypse comes . I know it’s very unpleasant , and you certainly don’t want to dampen spirits right now, raise your blood pressure, or throw a wet blanket on good vibes leading up to M10, but IMHO, you really have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having a “what if” talk now ( while everything is calm ), and a Plan B ready to go just in case.

Wow- that was really unpleasant and long, but I hope it helps. All the best and good luck M10!! And I’ll definitely have my fingers crossed that you won’t need any of this! :slight_smile: