Thoughts on University of Maryland?

I think UMD is a good University, My D graduated in 2018. We are in-state and always enjoyed visiting the campus at various times. There are a number of nice restaurants and hotels there.

My D was also in the Honors College and enjoyed some of the Honors Classes and Seminars.

UMD is expensive if you are OOS and UMD is NOT famous for giving out a lot of Merit Scholarships. Getting into the Honors College is NO guarantee of getting a scholarship, and I would say that most of the Honors College students do not get scholarships.

There are basically 3 Merit Scholarships available for incoming Freshman, provided that you applied by the Priority Deadline of Nov 1, 2020.

First is the Bannaker/Key Scholarship. There are 2 levels, Full and Partial (the partial amount depends on iS or OOS status. OOS is higher). Only students admitted to the Honors College are eligible for the B/K. Approximately 400 students are invited to interview for this one each year. Of the 400, about 250 get the Full Scholarship and 150 get the Partial.

Next is the President’s Scholarship. They range from $2000 to $12,500 for 4 years. I don’t know how many are given out.

Finally, there are the Dean’s Scholarships. These range from $1,500 to $4,500 for 2 years and are only available to In-state students.

1 Like