Thread for BSMD Applicants 2019

@golden828 Sorry, I haven’t been on here in a while. About Sophie Davis, I honestly don’t like it here, but that’s just my experience (and a few other kids). The number one thing for me is that I kind of feel out of place. The people here are pretty nice though. It definitely is a majority of URM students here (probably 70% of the class is either black or latino). I don’t really feel like I fit in with most people honestly. I’ve had to commute up until now (waiting on an apartment) which is around 2 hours one-way, which means I don’t have much time to hang around. Classes have been very easy so far, although thats because I placed out of physics and a world history class through AP credit, which is the only reason I’m surviving.

CCNY facilities that we use are pretty bad. Escalators are always broken, lab equipment is poor, and the food is okay at best. People who dorm tell me that the wifi in the dorms are terrible and they don’t get service. One thing people don’t know is that dorming is ~$20k a year, which is almost triple the instate tuition cost. It’s also located pretty far uptown in NYC, so there’s nothing to do close by. You have to take the subway for at least 25 minutes to get back to “the City”, where you can actually do things.

I also just learned today that starting in your second year, you have winter classes, along with the summer classes that start second year, so be prepared to give up your breaks to skip a year of undergrad (I don’t think it’s worth it). Attendance is mandatory in most classes, which really is a pain because some classes are a waste to go to. I also really hate that my schedule is basically made for me because I really wish I could choose a major and take electives, without having to take 21+ credits a semester like I would have to if I wanted to.

Overall, I really wish I didn’t come here and I regret not taking loans and going to Rice. I even would have gone to Stonybrook over Sophie Davis if I could redo it. I wish I could transfer out, but my parents won’t let me, so I’m stuck, unless I do it without telling my parents. This is just my experience. I know some people who are happy here though, so it’s not like everyone feels the way I do. But without a doubt, if you get into a different BS/MD program, I would strongly urge you to go there instead of here.