Tufts vs Northeastern Honors - Computer Science

I’m currently trying to decide between Tufts and Northeastern. I’m very interested in computer science and have a decent amount of experience, but I’m not 100% positive that it’s what I want to do.

My reasons for wanting to go to Tufts include the intellectually curious community of students across fields, and the conversation that comes out of those differences. I’ve heard great things about the relationship between students and faculty as well as the computer science program, and the idea of taking a better-rounded engineering core is very attractive to me. The downside is that I don’t qualify for that much financial aid, and although the 75k price tag is “affordable” at Tufts, it’s still something that factors heavily into my decision. Although I’m lucky enough to have my parents pay for and take on loans for me to go to school and they don’t want me to consider the financial aspect, I still feel like I have to.

At Northeastern I would be paying around 45k, for comparison. I feel like Northeastern would (obviously) better prepare me to enter the workforce, and would place me in an all-around better financial position upon graduation.

I don’t particularly care about campuses, as I feel like I can probably adapt to live in most situations. I’m currently leaning towards Tufts just because of the greater flexibility it would offer me to join the workforce or go to grad school, (as part of an entire school of engineering rather than a school of computer science).

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

How do you feel about the whole co-op experience? Are you excited at the prospect of leaving school for a semester or longer to work full time, starting as early your sophomore year?

If you would prefer a more traditional academic college experience, pick Tufts, and be happy that it’s affordable to your family. Be sure to thank your parents for giving you the opportunity to be a part of an intellectually curious community despite the higher cost.

If you’re more pre-professionally inclined (nothing wrong with that, by the way) you will thrive at Northeastern.

Both schools will prepare you to enter the workforce with the difference that Northeastern will give you more hands-on experience, but Tufts will give you a more rounded academic experience. Both are good. But they appeal to different types of students. Only you can decide which type is more for you. Good luck and congratulations on two great choices.

save teh money go to NEU

Why would you think that Tufts wouldn’t prepare you for a job? Very confusing why suddenly the coop program at northeastern prepares for the workplace but schools that don’t have a coop program don’t… tufts would have a stronger alumni network and has always been a highly selective school with higher rankings… northeastern is new to the game of being selective

@airway1 That’s true, I guess I was just thinking relatively. Those are all very good points.

@katliamom Once I take the financial aspect, I think I’m much more inclined to Tufts’ style than Northeastern. I’m leaning that way, but hopefully admitted students day will help to confirm those suspicions. Thanks!

Just a quick note I went to BostonU but after sending my kids to colleges with campuses that look amazing (Michigan state and Penn State) I believe for undergrad to get that college campus feel is so important

While more Tufts students will likely go to grad school, there’s nothing limiting you going to grad school from Northeastern which offers plenty of research opportunities as well. What school you are in does not restrict the classes you can take at Northeastern either, and the CS college is a direct result of the strong program there, not limitations.

While CS at Tufts is in the engineering school, I don’t think this will have as big of a practical effect as you imagine. Tufts students take 3 engineering courses, Northeastern requires one. There’s nothing stopping you from taking more at either too. The CS industry or academia does not distinguish between what college a degree is from (engineering, CS, science colleges). Generally, schools are actually moving towards the separate CS school model.

If you’re interested in the philosophy behind the CS program at Northeastern, this is a good resource:
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/Thoughts/Developing_Developers.html

CS at Northeastern does quite well in both industry and research strength. You can find a good resource on the latter here, which looks at research output to top conferences in CS: http://csrankings.org/