UCLA Class of 2023 Discussion

Hi everyone. Thanks for your patience. I have an official answer to the alumni scholarship and regents questions many of you have been posting. I will post this in a separate thread as well so it won’t get buried.

Alumni Scholarship

1. UCLA invites top applicants to apply for the scholarship. Anyone can apply so it will show up on the portal for everyone. The people who are invited to apply are the most likely to receive it because they have been identified by UCLA already. Its worth trying though. Applying or not applying does not change your chances of admission. Winners are informed after interviews happen which occur after admission. There is a correlation but not causation with being invited to apply and getting admitted. The invitation email specifically invites you to apply. Any emails reminding you of the deadline to apply is generic.

Regents Scholarship

1. In years past UCLA did not have a regents app. Instead based on the UC app they would select regents winners and inform them at the time of admission.
  2. This year UCLA has implemented a system for a regents application.
  3. A few weeks ago top applicants were invited to apply for regents. Those invited have a correlation of getting in as regents is for the top 1-2% of applicants.
  4. Anyone is allowed to apply for regents which is why it is on everyones portals. Any glitches that wouldn’t allow someone to submit has since been corrected.
  5. It is highly unlikely to get the regents scholarship if you were not invited. However there is still a chance.
  6. Applying or not applying has no bearing on your admission.
  7. If you are invited to apply for regents you can expect to eventually be admitted.
  8. Emails inviting you to apply constitute an invitation. Emails reminding you of the deadline are generic. Only the email invitation is an invitation. Remeber everyone has regents on their portal now.

I hope this helps and puts to rest all the rumors. Note this is directly from staff in undergraduate admissions. Anything contradictory going around is just a rumor. Best of luck. Decision release is right around the corner!!

@Gumbymom FYI in the other UC forums about UCLA