What is it with closing threads?

It seems to happen as a matter of routine on CC. I don’t understand what the issue is with leaving a thread open. So what if it gets resurrected in a year down the line? If it is on a topic of interest to folks, it already has information to build upon. Why have conversations start from scratch over and over? It seems to bring much more clutter and you lose the value of input from prior participants of the same conversation.

just sayin’…

1 Like

Two reasons that I can think of:

<li>Information may be outdated and mislead people who don’t realize that.</li>
<li>There could be offensive or inappropriate posts that moderators have missed, and moderators don’t have time to sift through them to check. And people have a tendency to focus on the negative stuff that has been posted and revive a debate.</li>

I’ve actually been wanting to ask this for some time. I have no problem with closing threads. However, I see an inconsistency as to why threads are closed. There are some moderators, @MaineLonghorn and @Erin’s Dad come to mind, who say why they are closing the thread. However, and this seems to be predominately in College Search and Selection, a thread is closed without explanation. Some reasons for closure are obvious. e.g. wrong forum (why not move it then?), asked and answered, not worthy of a response, etc. There are others though, that I think, “That’s a good question, why was it closed?” Additionally, there are many threads closed with 0 responses, which begs the question, why not delete the whole thread? So basically, can the moderator post a comment before s/he closes a thread?

1 Like

I completely agree with both grandscheme and skieurope.
However, I’m not trying to criticize the crew as this is clearly an enormous forum and it’s obviously difficult to manage all this.

1 Like

Some threads are closed because folks resume responding to the OP of the thread or others from an old thread…who haven’t posted on CC or had activity on CC for years.

1 Like

I have noticed this recently, too. The threads are often quite recent (started only a few days previously), and I often have a relevant comment to make – and can’t because the thread was closed. There is no evidence of any improper posting, and these aren’t old threads.

1 Like

I’ve noticed new threads closed as the first step in moving them to the right forum.

1 Like

There was a thread that was closed recently for a few days for the sake of lowering the blood pressure of posters. %-(

1 Like

Here’s another: <a href=“Where do the "cool" kids go to college? - College Life - College Confidential Forums”>Where do the "cool" kids go to college? - College Life - College Confidential Forums;

I can’t figure out for the life of me why it’s closed but it closed while I was typing a response.

I don’t remember threads being locked constantly without explanation. Maybe one here or there but not constantly.
I know there are new mods but it would be helpful to know WHY we can no longer participate in a seemingly benign thread.

ETA: OK, I assume it was closed because it was a duplicate thread. Easy enough to write “duplicate thread” and that way if people want to contribute, they can go to the other thread. Not everyone is going to take the time to see if there happens to be another thread somewhere.

1 Like

<a href=“Where do the "cool" kids go to college? - College Search & Selection - College Confidential Forums”>Where do the "cool" kids go to college? - College Search & Selection - College Confidential Forums;

OP- your’re right, duplicate, it seems.<br>
Confusing.<br>
Nevermind my original comment about a move.

1 Like

Actually, it wasn’t moved. OP posted it in both places.

1 Like

<p>x</p>