What threads should we pin on school forums?

Decision days are coming! Every year that means millions of students coming to CC to find out when schools have started notifying applicants and who got in. It also means a lot of refreshing the page hoping that someone might have heard some news.

In the meantime, let’s give students something to read about the schools they have applied to. There are so many great posts in the school forums that don’t get the attention they deserve. For instance, @Lindagaf, moderator extraordinaire, noticed a thread on the Bates College forum that deserved more attention. As a moderator, she was able to pin that topic to the Bates College forum. Now people who visit will have a helpful discussion to read while they wait for decisions.

Here’s how you can help:

• If you see a thread in a school’s forum that should get more attention, post a link in a reply below.
  • If there are threads that don’t need to be pinned anymore, go ahead and flag them.
  • If you have an idea for an interesting school-related thread, start it! (And then post a link here.)

That way we can pin interesting topics and make each school forum look its best before people start seeing it en masse. I’m looking forward to what you all will discover!

1 Like

Good post Jon.

I really like this idea: [quote=“CCadmin_Jon, post:1, topic:3501679”]
If you have an idea for an interesting school-related thread, start it! (And then post a link here.)
[/quote]

Every college has something unique to offer. I’d love to see if people have some good info to share about their college or the town it’s in.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but UC Berkeley accepted their top students and MET yesterday. The Class of 2025 thread is buzzing. Same thing with UCLA - they invited their top students to apply for the Regents scholarship yesterday. USC is supposed to admit their top students today or tomorrow.

1 Like

That’s great to know! I’m creating polls for many schools so that students can share their results. I’ll go ahead and start a poll for those schools today even though most students won’t get a decision until March.

Some of the larger schools have helpful threads pinned already. But if there’s something that might be useful for students to read, that would be good to know too. It seems to me that some of the less-trafficked school categories are the best candidates for revitalization. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wesleyan’s Ludicrous U.S. News Ranking - Colleges and Universities / Wesleyan University - College Confidential Forums - Admission Forum Discussions and Threads

1 Like

Interesting! I pinned it so that future students won’t be scared off by the rankings.

2 Likes

It would be helpful to review pinned posts for removal as well. For example, I don’t think pinning the College Admissions Statistics Class of 2022 (3 years old) at the top of the Admissions forum is helpful to students.

4 Likes

Agreed. I have unpinned

2 Likes

Pin: Brown '25 RD: Brown Class of 2025 RD

Unpin: Brown interview FAQ and answers - last active in 2017 & Brown isn’t interviewing this year + needs to be updated (if Brown ever starts interviewing again the interviewer manual used to be posted right on the alumni website for anyone to access so… :man_shrugging: )

2 Likes

Good call. Thanks.

1 Like

Really? This Wesleyan thread is 3 years old as well. I think about pinned topics as those most relevant and current.

This obsolete thread should probably be unpinned:

1 Like

Unpinned and closed since Subject Tests are no more.

But, if it’s a current thread, it often doesn’t need to be pinned. An admissions cycle thread on an Ivy/NESCAC board isn’t likely to get buried. I have a couple of other candidates for the Wesleyan board, but I wanted to see the reaction to the first one.

I still think this thread, which focuses on rankings and highlights outdated info for several peer schools, isn’t the first thing I’d want to see if I were trying learn more about Wesleyan. I don’t think pinning just to have something pinned is useful.

1 Like

I respect your opinion, but just because a thread is three years old doesn’t mean the topic isn’t current. I deliberately looked for threads that had a high number of replies and the one on Wesleyan’s USNews rank was one of the longest. IMHO, a pinned thread should be likened to a FAQ. It says, “these are the questions that come up again and again” and how different posters have looked at them over the years.

Other candidates I’ve been mulling over are:

Amherst vs. Wesleyan - College Search & Selection - College Confidential Forums - Admission Forum Discussions and Threads

Middlebury or Wesleyan - College Search & Selection - College Confidential Forums - Admission Forum Discussions and Threads

UCLA vs WESLEYAN - College Search & Selection - College Confidential Forums - Admission Forum Discussions and Threads

1 Like

There are 8 pinned threads on the Alabama board. I usually just look at favorite boards for new posts and I have to scroll past all pinned posts to see if there is anything new. I can’t believe they all need to be pinned.

1 Like

You can selectively unpin them by clicking on the pin and refreshing the page.

Wow - thanks - learn something new every day!

1 Like