Will we see a decrease in the # of CS majors?

For every miserable medical resident, investment banker, or corporate lawyer, there are just as many (probably more) equally miserable chefs, teachers, and social workers. Many people who choose a job because it’s “what they love” are burnt out and jaded by the low pay, poor working conditions, and bad work-life balance of these “passion” jobs (particularly in the arts, academia, and journalism). I roll my eyes whenever someone points to the plight of the golden handcuffs or cites yet another highly-paid white collar professional in their circle who is “miserable” in their finance/law/medicine/big tech job. These miserable workers probably would’ve been even more unhappy in a lower-paying job in a “passion” field – chefs and service industry folks (including pastry chefs!) are not exactly known for their strong mental health.

A fixed mindset would suggest that a kid who isn’t good at (fill in the blank) will never be good at it, so it’s time to go find something else. That’s not the same thing as shoe-boxing a kid with a strong passion in an area that parents find “shameful” (although it’s honest labor, nobody is making crystal meth in the garage) and forcing him into the “least objectionable option”, i.e. not medicine which takes a long time and requires familiarity with body fluids.

Only the wealthy can pursue what they truly love without regard to pay. To succeed in a career that one has little passion for (as is the case for the vast majority of workers – even those with college degrees), workers need grit, resilience, persistence, and a growth mindset to overcome challenges and tackle jobs that are outside of their wheelhouse.

1 Like