1 Week ...

<p>Well, 1 week from tonight we begin the trek to UA for my daughter. Tonight, we’re doing the trial packing of the car, so that I can make sure that our poor vehicle will not appear the be as overloaded as say the Grinch’s loot after the raiding of Whoville! :-)</p>

<p>All seems to be in order. The girls used Google Docs to put together a joint “we need” checklist for shared items … kids are so tech savvy. Bed Bath & Beyond orders have been placed and that stuff is awaiting our arrival in Birmingham.</p>

<p>I think we’re pretty much prepared with 7 days to go. Yesterday, there was a post that reminded me to get that miracle 3M sticky stuff for hanging stuff in the room.</p>

<p>Just pinging the experienced ones, for any last minute suggestions and one last question.</p>

<p>We’re getting a small TV for her room from Costco, but these new fangled sets (it’s a Visio) now come with internet connectivity directly to the TV so that you can tap into Netflix, etc. Does anyone have any experience with hooking up an internet capable TV to the Internet (either wired or wireless)? I think devices need to be “registered” in order to be attached to the network, right?</p>

<p>Ready or not, here we come. Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>wow! trial packing!??! never thought of that!</p>

<p>did you get a coax cable for her room? if not, do that at home. we got the 25 foot one so daughter could put her tv on the opposite wall.</p>

<p>get a couple of those converters that convert a 3 prong plug to a 2 prong plug. we ended up needing those and they were HARD to find in t-town.</p>

<p>you may need sheet suspenders to keep the sheets from being too baggy. grab a pack of those, too. walmart has them</p>

<p>3m command hooks - get some!</p>

<p>over the door hook things (they have 4 - 5 hooks on them). one for the bathroom for sure to hang robes or towels. then for her room she will probably want to use every door she can to hang something. my kid had an over the door shoe pocket thing in her closet and one of those four hook things on the other door to hang purses/backpack type things.</p>

<p>the 3 plastic drawer things that are about 9x12x12. two of those will fit under the bathroom sink to hold and organize all of kids bathroom stuff.</p>

<p>none of this is critical, but all is useful.</p>

<p>as for the internet connection, malanai’s son knows about that, i think. i am sure many kids do. i think you are not “supposed” to hook other things to the wireless network (like wireless printers) but everyone does. i could be wrong about that, but i think that is what i heard.</p>

<p>we leave on the 19th. so we are two weeks out.</p>

<p>have fun!!! : )</p>

<p>We took DD down a week ago so she could get moved into her apt. and settled before Recruitment Spirit Week starts (this Sat. 8-6). We also did a trial pack…since we were using DD’s car and her boyfriends truck. It just made sense and it went so smooth. Last year we used a lot of the semi cloth bags they sell at Bed Bath and Beyond. We also then tied tags labeling the contents of each bag. The dear men who unloaded our car commented on how easy it was to move them :). The labels made putting things away much easier. We also packed the drawers of her plastic bins and taped them shut. We did this as well with the drawered tambrillo we got to go by her desk. DD has a wireless printer and we had no trouble setting it up last year…just followed the directions in the box. TV just plugged into the wall…it ran through the set up and she was set. Just reading your post made me remember the excitement in our house this time last year…good luck and hope y’all have a great move in! Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thanks! There are many good suggestions for knick-knacks above, especially over the door hangers and sheet suspenders and plug converters. Shared experience is a wonderful thing!</p>

<p>One week? Oh, my, that sounds so long to me now. I’m down to 8 hours and am losing it. Dang, y’all are organized. Fortunately D is much more mentally stable than I am and is doing fine. Last night was rough for me, but I think I’m pulling it together.</p>

<p>Thanks for the last minute tips! I’ll be printing them out and adding them to our list. Safe travels, y’all!</p>

<p>Roll Tide Roll!!!</p>

<p>Walmart or Target has these full length mirrors (cost about $5) They are very very light weight and attach with command-like strips. The back of the door is a great place for the mirror and every girl needs one :)</p>

<p>Don’t forget an umbrella for the school year.</p>

<p>D and I will be doing the trial packing of the SUV this weekend!</p>

<p>Safe travels everyone and hope to meet a number of you at move in!</p>

<p>Robotbldmom…that reminds me of a story…last year when DD was looking for a mirror for her dorm room we went to Target. She was determined to find the one that was the most flattering to her and made her look “extra thin”…so as I am standing there trying not to die or embarrassment (oh by the way I was trying so hard not to laugh at the same time)…DD lines up all the different colored ones and stands in each one as she proceeds down the main aisle…who knew the lime green mirror had the special magic quality that she was looking for…it lasted 1 week…DD’s roommate knocked it off the door and it shattered! Besides 7 years of bad luck we gave DD all kinds of grief over it breaking…sorry to dribble on but this gave me a good chuckle…</p>

<p>^^^^Thanks for the chuckle :)</p>

<p>*get a couple of those converters that convert a 3 prong plug to a 2 prong plug. *</p>

<p>I have never heard of needing those.</p>

<p>Why or when do you need to convert a 3 prong plug to a 2 prong plug???</p>

<p>When I have a 2 prong cord, I just plug it in to a 3 prong hole. </p>

<p>Do you use these to ground a 2 prong plug?</p>

<p>Safe travels Rose808 - let us know how it all goes!</p>

<p>the outlets on the dorm walls (at least in the bedroom) are two holed. if the cord you are trying to plug in has three prongs, it won’t go in the hole.</p>

<p>we had a fan last year with a 3 prong cord, but only two holes to plug it into, so we needed one.</p>

<p>every plug in my current house has three holes, but this is not always the case.</p>

<p>2 prong outlets in Ridgecrest South - newest dorm on campus???</p>

<p>yup …</p>

<p>wait … i take that back … i just remembered. we were trying to plug the 3 prong into an extension cord which was 2 holed. </p>

<p>nevermind … </p>

<p>: )</p>

<p>^^^ AHA, that makes sense then. The only time I’ve ever had an issue with the 3 prong to 2 prong situation was when I had an extension cord that only supported 2 prongs. If your extension cords are good then 3 prongs are OK. BTW … that reminds me … extension cords vs. multiple power strips? Opinions? We picked up power strips at IKEA for 2 for $5, so I we got 2 sets (4 strips). I’m hoping that I do not need any extension cords?</p>

<p>IIRC we put the fan on top of a tall bookshelf, so the cord wouldn’t reach, thus, our need for an extension cord (just a short one).</p>

<p>Please, nobody rent / watch Toy Story 3 right before you take frosh son or daughter to UA. You have been warned, LOL!</p>

<p>too late - a whole bunch of us took our kids to see it last year pre-frosh year. What timing!</p>

<p>Oh, yeah, I cried through almost the whole movie. It was one of my daughter’s favorites growing up :(</p>