10% admissions question

<p>I posted earlier about my son's school. I doubt they will have transcripts ready to send before sometime in the mid to late fall. I expect Engineering, for auto admits, will be full by then. What happens to a top 10% applicant when that occurs? Is there a category of general admissions from which he would try to transfer to engineering or would he have to start in a different major entirely? </p>

<p>Contact admissions & ask what to do about your transcript issue. Are you saying that you can’t get a hard copy transcript either? </p>

<p>OP. Most (not all) top 10% applicants also meet on other criteria as well for auto admit. Have the school send whatever transcript is ready at the time he is ready to apply. They will update later. With TAMU, timing is more important that the details of coursework and grades being updated.</p>

<p>Torveaux, yes, he meets the criteria for academic admit but that still requires verification of top 25%. The school has no transcripts available at all. They generate them from some program which has something wrong with it’s GPA algorithm.<br>
AGmomx2, no hard copies either. All I can get is copies of the end-of-year grade reports and they don’t have any ranking information on them. I will contact admissions if this isn’t resolved but I don’t know what they can do other than tell me to wait for the school. The transcripts have to be sent eventually; I am just afraid it will be too late for engineering. :frowning:
He already has an application in at another college and it’s been a month in “waiting for transcript” status. They already sent me a “friendly reminder,” I don’t know how long they will keep it open or how long TAMU will either. </p>

<p>You can try saying it is a non-ranking high school and then TAMU will use the school profile and assign him a rank. As long as he falls in the top 25% based upon their rankings then he is in.</p>

<p>I would pursue alternate means of getting a transcript even a copy of what you have from grades, and a statement from the school that is notarized maybe (?) with approximate ranking, % and problem stated. Don’t give up. I’d try to contact admissions this week before the flood of calls begin on Aug 1st. At least that would provide for something in his file - might want to do the same with your other pending application. Sounds like the HS admin will need to figure something out sooner rather than later. </p>

<p>You originally asked what happens if you don’t meet the cutoff date for rolling admissions into engineering… you must have applied with both major choices as engineering to be considered for the holistic review for the final 15% of the slots. That cut off is Dec 1. Since you will most likely submit Aug 1st, make sure you put both major preferences as engineering just to cover your bases if you can’t find an interim solution to your transcript problem. If you end up in the holistic review group, you would have to wait longer for a decision of admission to the engineering major. They take all applicants who are processed by a certain date(beyond Dec1) & then decide which ones of those to offer the last few engineering slots. If you do not get a major through that process, then you are given the option to pick any open major - so best to wait on the info. as to what alternate major to pick - it is several steps away at this point.</p>

<p>gobluemom85,
I am 99.99% positive that late transcripts will NOT be a problem. The transcript will eventually be used to verify that the student did what he said he did on the application. In a way. It’s important for aspiring engineering students to get their applications in early, but your son will not have a problem if his transcript is late. You son’s application will be reviewed for entry in to engineering with or without the transcript, and when the transcript comes in, they’ll look at that too. If you or your son call the admissions office, I’m pretty certain they will put your mind at ease. They know – all colleges know – that the transcripts are out of the students’ control and that they are sometimes late. There will be plenty of late transcripts this year, just as there are every year. I say this with near certainty. He can just do what he can do … which he will do come August 1st! All my best! :)</p>