101 reasons to attend WashU

<p>I copied this from the Johns Hopkins University forum and thought that the WashU forum could use one. I would also be interested in seeing a list of reasons why a prospective student should choose Washington University in St. Louis. As an admitted student, I’m still deciding so I too can greatly benefit from seeing these reasons laid out. Since I visited the campus, I’ll start off with #1.</p>

<li> The architecture of the buildings is classically gothic and beautiful.</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li> Big university resources, smaller LAC-style attention to students (and no TAs!).</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li> Academic Flexibility -- Easy to switch schools within WashU and to double major/minor.</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>The architecture of the buildings is classically gothic and beautiful. </li>
<li>Big university resources, smaller LAC-style attention to students (and no TAs!).</li>
<li>Academic Flexibility -- Easy to switch schools within WashU and to double major/minor. </li>
<li>Amazing pre-professional programs and resources, especially for pre-meds through the renowned WUSTL medical center</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li> The quality of your peers</li>
<li> Some of the best dorms in the country</li>
<li> Some of the best food for a university</li>
</ol>

1 Like

<ol>
<li>The architecture of the buildings is classically gothic and beautiful.</li>
<li>Big university resources, smaller LAC-style attention to students (and no TAs!).</li>
<li>Academic Flexibility -- Easy to switch schools within WashU and to double major/minor.</li>
<li>Amazing pre-professional programs and resources, especially for pre-meds through the renowned WUSTL medical center</li>
<li>The quality of your peers</li>
<li>Some of the best dorms in the country</li>
<li>Some of the best food for a university</li>
<li>Genuine Midwestern friendliness and helpfulness</li>
<li>Lack of cut-throat competitiveness amongst students, more collaboration</li>
<li>Easy access to metro and busing (FREE!)</li>
<li>2nd best DIII sports school in the United States</li>
<li>Professors are more undergrad-focused than other top research universities</li>
<li>Undergrads have limitless research opportunities.</li>
<li>Beautiful campus (where students are playing ultimate frisbee, football, or in hammocks on the quads).</li>
<li>Forest park across the street (HUGE park with free museums and such).</li>
<li>The Loop (great food and shopping) within walking distance of the university.</li>
<li>Commercial chopping complexes not too far away (by car).</li>
</ol>

<p>yeah... I really like WashU haha.</p>

<p>yeah, but #12 and #2 look pretty similar to me. Judges? OK, they say not the same, so we are up to 17. I do want to know what a chopping complex is, though.</p>

<p>whoops that is shopping complex haha... I think they were in the Clayton area? Can't be sure though. I cant edit it now, so I'll just re-post it (and add one):</p>

<ol>
<li>Academic Flexibility -- Easy to switch schools within WashU and to double major/minor.</li>
<li>Lack of cut-throat competitiveness amongst students, more collaboration</li>
<li>Professors are more undergrad-focused than other top research universities</li>
<li>Beautiful campus (where students are playing ultimate frisbee, football, or in hammocks on the quads).</li>
<li>The Loop (great food and shopping) within walking distance of the university.</li>
<li>Humongous shopping complexes not too far away (by car, Clayton area?)</li>
<li>3 large hospitals within the area.</li>
</ol>

<ol>
<li>3 large hospitals within the area. </li>
<li>Exceptional academic advising</li>
<li>Amazing diversity of the student body</li>
<li>Abundance of outstanding prearranged extracurricular activities available to student body (tutoring h.s. students, hospital volunteering, etc.)</li>
</ol>

<p>They bring in the best seniors from all over the country for a leadership competition, raise their hopes for scholarships, and then nothing happens. What a waste of everyone's time and energy including their own!!</p>

<p>Gtr - please grow up before you get to college this fall, for your own sake.</p>

<p>Gtr, what are you talking about??</p>

<p>anyway...
22. Amazing merit scholarship opportunities not found at any school of WashU's caliber.
23. Central United States location that allows for relatively easy access from both the East and West Coast.
24. Hammocks all over campus. 'Nuff said.
25. Loads of brand new buildings and a strong commitment to construction and development...
26. St. Louis's fabulous music scene.
27. Crazy huge endowment that allows for lots of free trips to campus and subsidized FOCUS excursions and everything a student could want.
28. Summer excursions like ArtSci Weekends and FSAP that allow students to get acclimated to campus before Orientation.
29. Awesome Pre-O's!
30. Residential colleges that allow freshman to have connections to sophmores.
31. Really nice programs for frosh like FOCUS and Freshman Seminars and MBB, Text and Tradition, Medicine in Society...
32. They send you a lot of mail and you feel really good, especially when it's priority and you're like "OMG they spend $4.95 on ME!" :)</p>

<ol>
<li>Abundance of outstanding prearranged extracurricular activities available to student body (tutoring h.s. students, hospital volunteering, etc.)</li>
<li>Amazing merit scholarship opportunities not found at any school of WashU's caliber.</li>
<li>Central United States location that allows for relatively easy access from both the East and West Coast.</li>
<li>Hammocks all over campus. 'Nuff said.</li>
<li>Loads of brand new buildings and a strong commitment to construction and development...</li>
<li>St. Louis's fabulous music scene.</li>
<li>Crazy huge endowment that allows for lots of free trips to campus and subsidized FOCUS excursions and everything a student could want.</li>
<li>Summer excursions like ArtSci Weekends and FSAP that allow students to get acclimated to campus before Orientation.</li>
<li>Awesome Pre-O's!</li>
<li>Residential colleges that allow freshman to have connections to sophmores.</li>
<li>Really nice programs for frosh like FOCUS and Freshman Seminars and MBB, Text and Tradition, Medicine in Society...</li>
<li>They send you a lot of mail and you feel really good, especially when it's priority and you're like "OMG they spend $4.95 on ME!" </li>
</ol>

<p>Does anyone know how internet works at WashU? Is there wifi? is it free? or do you use an ethernet cable in your dorm and pay?</p>

<ol>
<li>Amazing merit scholarship opportunities not found at any school of WashU's caliber.</li>
<li>Central United States location that allows for relatively easy access from both the East and West Coast.</li>
<li>Hammocks all over campus. 'Nuff said.</li>
<li>Loads of brand new buildings and a strong commitment to construction and development...</li>
<li>St. Louis's fabulous music scene.</li>
<li>Crazy huge endowment that allows for lots of free trips to campus and subsidized FOCUS excursions and everything a student could want.</li>
<li>Summer excursions like ArtSci Weekends and FSAP that allow students to get acclimated to campus before Orientation.</li>
<li>Awesome Pre-O's!</li>
<li>Residential colleges that allow freshman to have connections to sophmores.</li>
<li>Really nice programs for frosh like FOCUS and Freshman Seminars and MBB, Text and Tradition, Medicine in Society...</li>
<li>They send you a lot of mail and you feel really good, especially when it's priority and you're like "OMG they spend $4.95 on ME!"</li>
<li>Outstanding Financial Aid</li>
</ol>

<p>nooob - It's included (so "free"). Sooo fast, it's amazing. Hahah.</p>

<p>Hate to burst some bubbles but theres plenty of TA's, my D is one!</p>

<p>Yes there are TAs, as there are in any school that offers advanced degrees. There are also instances of undergrads being offered TA positions to assist a professor. The general policy is to have TAs lead study groups or discussion sessions and only have professors teach classes. I don't see how that is bursting any bubbles.</p>

<p>poster#2 claimed there are no TA's at Wash U.He/she should know there are plenty around and the atmosphere is more Research U level than LAC.I think its a good thing but poster#2 may not.</p>

<p>I am pretty sure everyone knew he meant no TA's teaching the main lecture part of the courses (although that may not be 100% true, it is pretty close. There may be post-docs that are not tenure track teaching some courses). But it is good to be 100% clear.</p>

<p>be advised that the English dep't utilizes TA's to teach entry level classes and has even advertised for TA's in other disciplines to teach sections.</p>