10th Grade Class Selection Help

Trying to help DS select classes for next year in our local public high school. He is currently taking honors geometry, honors history, honors science, honors 9th grade English, academic French 2 (no honors option). He’s doing well in all – all A’s and a B+ in science. My question is-- he has the option for either honors or AP biology, Honors world civ or AP European history, and either honors English 10 or AP Capstone. Are any of these AP’s worthwhile as a 10th grader? He is wanting to major in Econ/finance at this point. My older dd is at a small private school and didn’t have the option for AP/ advanced until 11th grade. Thanks.

IMO, this is a question for your student’s guidance counselor. Every school is unique in how many advance courses students take and the work load. In my D’s HS, sophomores were limited to only 1 AP class.

My gut says if your student is getting Bs in 9th grade science, I would not jump to AP bio as a 10th grader. But again, this is school specific and I’d connect with the GC.

3 Likes

I agree that this is something that is school specific. At the school DS attended, AP Lang was the default English class for the top half of the class sophomore year. So much depends on the teachers, etc.

I would generally recommend the AP class over honors (but again, YMMV depending on your school) as it’s rarely much more work and you can potentially get college credit/placement for a good test score.