1st college attendee

<p>hello. so I’m applying for UCI and UCR as a freshman for the 2015-16 year.
i know it might be too soon to ask, but i will anyway.
let’s say i got accepted and i chose to go to UCI (it’s a 20 min drive from home).
what’s next? what do i do? i’m the first of my family attending college so my
parents aren’t any help. what i’m most confused about is classes. when i go
to any of the UC websites, they give me a tree of classes that i need to take
for my major. do i choose the classes i take? how do i know i’m taking
the right ones? i’m asking this soon because i want to know ahead of time.</p>

<p>Any school that you are accepted will have a Freshman Orientation where you will meet with an advisor to help plan out your schedule of classes. Most Orientations are a minimum of 1-2 days including staying overnight. You will get all your questions answered during this time.
What you should be doing now is learn as much as possible about the application process including SAT/ACT prep and testing. You also need to sit down with your parents to figure out a budget for your college tuition/ room/board. Money will be the limiting factor when it comes to your college choices. There are many knowledgable people on this forum or at your school whom can help you. </p>

<p>Thank you. My parents and I have visited the sites and discussed the budget thoroughly. I took the SAT in June and got an 1810 and I took it again in November and I’m waiting on that score. Thank you, I didn’t know about orientation and all of that. </p>

<p>I agree - the freshman orientations are really great and will help you get your bearings. Since these schools are just 20 min from home - you can visit admissions and the guidance counselors in person before you are admitted. They are usually really good and will help you with things you haven’t even thought about yet.</p>