2-2 programs-options if you don't get in

<p>My niece is planning on applying to BSN programs. She is looking at both direct entry and 2-2 programs. She is wondering what options students have if they are not admitted into the nursing program after the first 2 years....do they transfer? Reapply?</p>

<p>In non-direct entry Nursing Programs (2+2) Programs you really are in a dilemma if not accepted into the Nursing program and wish to continue to pursue a BSN degree in Nursing. You could stay at the same college after choosing another major and then apply to an Accelerated BSN Programs (usually about 18 months in duration) once you graduate in the other major (science area major would probably be best). You could attempt to apply again the next year at the same college but there is obviously no guarantee you would be accepted and if not accepted you would end up in the same dilemma a year later. Even if then accepted at the same school you probably would need to add another year of college to complete your BSN degree. You could attempt to transfer to a Nursing Program at another college but the competition is also intense. There are some BSN Nursing Programs that are designed to accept students into their Nursing Program after 2 years of school at another college (Thomas Jefferson Univ. in Philadelphia is one of them-and there are others as well). Your odds would be better trying to transfer into other 2+2 Programs as most direct entry Nursing Programs have few slots for transfers from other colleges.</p>

<p>For the above reasons, unless you are extrememly confident in your ability to make the “cut”, most people would generally recommend trying to gain acceptance into a direct entry Nursing Program. Some applicants apply to both types and if not accepted into a direct entry program they choose to attend the 2+2 program (assuming they are accepted into some such programs), and elect to attend the program they feel they are most likely to succeed in. Good luck.</p>

<p>Before I would agree to attend a 2-2 program, I’d want to see some hard data from that college on how hard it is to enter the nursing program. At some colleges, it is next to impossible. At other colleges, it is much easier. </p>

<p>If possible, avoid the stress, and go direct entry. Even with direct entry, most colleges require a student to maintain a certain GPA in all your classes or certain classes in order to stay in the nursing program. However, at least you clearly know what is expected.</p>

<p>What state are you in? In Maryland, the nursing school at UMD Baltimore only has the 2nd two years of the nursing program. Everyone there applies after 2 years to get in and the NCLEX records them having a class of about 200 per year (about the same size as JHU). Of course, the competition must be stiff because their program is very good and if you are instate the price is good too. </p>

<p>There may be other nursing schools out there like that. Every one I’ve spoken to says they choose strictly based on GPA which students to admit - and of course, you have to pass the prerequisite courses with the grades they require.</p>

<p>My D is attending Shepherd U in WV and it is a 2 + 2 program that accepts students in both the spring and fall semesters. That’s helpful to know if you need to apply somewhere else and don’t want to wait a year or if you need to retake some class for a higher grade. My D had no problem being accepted to the + 2 part of her program but her GPA was very high. She had more trouble with the bureaucracy, but that is typical with all nursing programs I believe. Why is it that states can’t share those fingerprints?</p>

<p>On the east coast, it appears that the Mason-Dixon line is an approximate dividing line between programs that are mostly direct entry versus programs that are mostly 2 +2. There are some exceptions - UVa and UDel are direct entry, but are extremely hard to get into.</p>