2,800 applicants waitlisted!

<p>My son was fortunately accepted ed at vt (oos). He was also accepted at several other fine schools including UF (oos). I convinced him that he needed to go ahead and go online and formally 'not-accept' to let the yield and waitlist take its course. So that other qualified students who were not as fortunate yet could get a shot. UF admissions are like VT quite competitive.</p>

<p>sorry. noted my last note was not complete enough for the anxious ones on this forum. he declined UF and still is going to VT.</p>

<p>Good for him, vtnewdad. You said he was accepted ED - that is binding, you know! I think that is what you meant when you clarified that he declined UF :)</p>

<p>Students have until May 1st to formally accept the admission offer at their school of choice. At the same time, they are also expected to send in their "decline" postcard which most schools include in the acceptance package. Thus, by mid-May or so, the schools pretty much have a very good idea where they stand in filling their class. I don't know what happens if a student "forgets" to do either before May 1st. There must be some procedure to "draw the line" by the school after that date, but personally I've never heard of anybody who forgot.</p>

<p>Rejected at UVA. Looks like it's Tech for me!</p>

<p>kta, welcome to Tech. D is a hokie and was WL at UVA 2 years ago with stats very very similar to yours. She absolutely loves Tech and is now so glad she wasn't accepted at UVA. She loves the spirit, the sports and the excellent academics. She is an English major (lol) and the English dept is not too big so she has found it fitting. She was recently nominated for a writing award. Anyway, you will love it. We are lucky in VA to have such great schools.</p>

<p>For those who are on the waitlist, my s emailed them today, expressing his continued interest and such and so on. He received a reply within half an hour. Basically they told him why he wasn't admitted (he asked - in his case it was his GPA - 3.2 UW), recommended he apply for transfer for Fall 2009, and said they did not anticipate taking anyone off the waitlist this year...</p>

<p>Wow, too bad.</p>

<p>Yep, well, what are ya gonna do? Son has decided that UMassAmherst is going to be where he'll go next year. I was "secretly" hoping for both sons to be at VT (older one is a soph there), but it just wasn't meant to be.</p>

<p>Thanks for the update Zimmer. Sorry the news is not better for you and your son about Virginia Tech. Son stayed on the waitlist as well so looks like he will not be going to Virginia Tech. If they are not going to take anybody off the waitlist, it is good to know sooner than later so we can move on! For those coming after us, VT seems to pay ALOT of attention to GPA, moreso than SAT score or EC's. So keep your grades up if you want to go there!</p>