2-grade skipped, trying for CS in T20 schools

He has already applied, right? Good luck to him…and let us know what happens!

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes, he applied EA to some, early RD for some scholarship opportunities, and RDs are still ahead of us.

1 Like

Thank you very much. Yes, he is definitely a regular applicant, like millions of other seniors. Not a typical one, but regular nonetheless. And the future is in his hands, ultimately.

3 Likes

Hello - we finally got a chance to watch “The Last Lecture” by Randy Pausch. Thank you for introducing us to it - amazing, amazing talk. Amazing guy. What a hope for the world - he gave us all so much, for generations to come. The hope.

3 Likes

I thought about this thread when I was watching an old Dateline program the other day. It was about two girls who were secretly dating in hs. One was 18 (senior) the other 14 (freshman). The 18 year old was arrested for sexual assault when the 14 year olds parents’ discovered the relationship.

Please have you child aware of the laws in the state of the college chosen. It is very possible for the 16 yr old freshman to want to date the 19 year old freshman, or even the 21 year old junior, and it could easily slip into an illegal situation that no one intended it to be.

My daughter was a 17 year old freshman and her boyfriend is 3 years older. We didn’t really think about the age thing when she went away to college.

4 Likes

Just wanted to mention that for my one grade skipped kid, who himself refused the second recommended grade skip for social reasons, recently turned 16 in junior year, maturity kicked in just in time for his baccalaureate program. “On the cusp of 16” seems to be a common time for that to happen in boys. He will graduate at 17 and I am a glad he is not even younger because he also needs time (and maturity!) to handle his predisposition for stress migraines and sinusitis.

He is planning for a gap year and I am glad about that, too. I am seeing so much growth right now, and I want him to “get done” as much as possible before he’ll go away to college.

5 Likes

Realising that OP has not mentioned child’s gender, I would also mention that I see differences in how my D is growing in maturity. She is also only grade skipped once, but since she was very young for grade (born just before the cutoff) a number of kids in her year are two years older. If we hadn’t happened to have access to a program with a 13th year (we are not in the US) she would have graduated at 16 as well. I also hope to decelerate her with a gap year eventually.

Even though the age gap is bigger in her case and she is always struggling to keep up socially, I do not see quite the same maturity gap I have seen I her brother. I believe that girls may be more adaptable, and do not mature quite as much in fits and starts the way boys do, but more steadily (sample of two here, so take this with a huge grain of salt).

We were also in a situation where there was simply no viable academic alternative to acceleration until HS graduation. Even a year abroad before would be problematic, because the way the baccalaureate program is structured, they would have had do it between sophomore and junior year, when they would have been to young to go away for so long. (Not sending a 14 yo girl or 15 yo boy abroad for a year. Shoot me). Which is why I am hoping so hard that gap years work out for them.

3 Likes

Yes, NYU is now meets-need, which is amazing. And it falls below the above mentioned budget for our family on paper (NPC)!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.