2006 RD Admissions Notification

<p>WOW full tuition, that's nuts</p>

<p>thanks Jersey44</p>

<p>Is there anybody who is rejected from U of Miami? :(
The decision has been mailed to me and I strongly believe I am rejected because of my essay.</p>

<p>dayummm i haven't recieved a decision yet but guess rejection.</p>

<p>Churalsk:
In my letter it said that this was UM's most competitive year ever, and over 19000 people applied for appr. 250 spots. UM was very tough this year, there are just too many kids. So don't stress over your essay, it may not be as bad as you think.</p>

<p>iceman, brassmonkey, and others, did you all apply regular decision? i know this says "RD thread" but on Miami's site they say that notification is April 15.... did they just decide to notify all you a month early or something?</p>

<p>I applied regular</p>

<p>do you think its harder to get a scholarship if you're from Florida? I see that brassmonkey got full ride even without minimum qualifications, but was from an extremely underepresented state (Vermont)</p>

<p>see here:
<a href="http://miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,29532-1;36206-2;41088-3,00.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,29532-1;36206-2;41088-3,00.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Vermont had less than 10 students in '04 freshman class, whereas florida had in the hundreds.</p>

<p>i have the same stats as brassmonkey so thats why i ask!</p>

<p>from what I heard, it's easier to get scholarships from within FL. I have friends from NY and FL who applied, with pretty much identical stats, NY got 1/2, while the FL got 3/4, from what I hear, they tend to be more generous toward in-staters. (Which doesn't make a lot of sense as they are private)</p>

<p>I'm not basing this on one occurence, but rather what my friend down in FL seems to believe.</p>

<p>Do you mean 2500 spots? How could it only be 250 spots?
What is the acceptance rate this year?</p>

<p>whoops! yeah, sorry it was 2500 spots.
I don't know what the offical acceptance rate was, but it had to have been under 20%. Miami is getting extremely seletive.</p>

<p>i just checked on princetonreview.com... miami's acceptance rate is 42%, but only 26% of all accepted students actually enroll. seems like it has an unusually low enrollment rate... perhaps people use miami as a safety??</p>

<p>iceman and brassmonkey, and others accepted, i miami mostly a safety school for you guys?</p>

<p>and by the way, if you have any questions, i visited the campus a few weeks ago.</p>

<p>That would reflect years' past acceptance rate, right? I think this year it sounds more selective.
What were your impressions of the campus?</p>

<p>yes aspariguy, miami is a safety school for me, and i think that there is a 99% chance I will not attend</p>

<p>still a great school, no doubt about it!</p>

<p>good luck to everyone</p>

<p>yeah, i kind of see it as a desirable safety (one I wouldn't mind going to) although the singer makes it extremely desirable. Depending on how admissions goes for me this year, there is a chance (however slight) that I may end up there.</p>

<p>I really wish you would give me your scholarship IceMan, so I could go then, lol.</p>

<p>slm - i really felt that everyone who attended was happy to be there. it's a very social place, but not 100% jock like some might think. they do value athletics a lot, but there are plenty of artsy people too.</p>

<p>my tour guides were really nice and i chatted with them afterward. they said that it's not too hard to get the classes you want if you meet with the prof and show your interest and talent. one of the guides was a neuroscience major, and she said that she could contact her teachers easily because most of them live on campus.</p>

<p>miami also calls their residence buildings colleges and not dorms because they like to see the students' homes as simply an extension of the classroom. the entire campus is under a wireless cloud, which i found to be nice.</p>

<p>as for city life, UM is in a suburb of miami, Coral Gables, which is a very affluent, artsy place south of downtown. many festivals occur year round. for example, wen i was there, the Coconut Grove Art Festival and the Miami Boat Show were both occuring near UM's campus.</p>

<p>there's also a metrorail (or whatever they call it) stop on or right next to campus, so you can easily zip over to south beach if you want to. when i asked them wat they didn't like about the university, they said parking. there's only one parking garage (at the entrance) but it doesn't hold nearly enough cars to support the student body.</p>

<p>i'm interested in sciences, either chemistry or biology (i'll see which one i choose =)) and both the chem and bio departments are in one big 3-story building. biology is very popular at UM, and the first two floors, which were home to the bio department, were bustling with students interested in biology. many classes were in session. As for chemistry, however, not nearly as many people major in it. Chem only had the top 3rd floor, which was virtually empty and, quite frankly, looked really run down. the labs looks really dirty and unkempt, and on one prof's door a sign said</p>

<p>"Hours:
Mon - Fri: closed
Sat: 10:30 - 11:30 A.M.
Sun: closed"</p>

<p>i kinda wandered around the chemistry area and only saw 3 people who briskly walked by and kinda gave me and my dad an odd glance. so, overall, i was really turned off by the chem dept. but biology is reaally exciting (from what i gathered). i should note that i went on a friday, and the campus was busy.</p>

<p>and oh yeah, i can confirm the rumors: UM women are definitely hot. i saw so many hot female students when i was there, and even with me on the tour. keep that in mind!</p>

<p>I got my letter yesterday, and the 1/3 scholarship. I qualify for the 1/2, aside from the top 7% class rank (my school doesn't weight ranks or anything so I really would be in probably in the top 3% instead am in the top 10%). I thought I would get atleast the 1/2 because I'm more than qualified and am a minority on two accounts (location and race). Oh well, I got my acceptance from UCLA the same day so it didn't matter to me really.</p>

<p>aspariguy-My S is a biochem major and says that unfortunately, Friday is probably the worst day of the week to visit the Chem Dept. Labs are all scheduled on Mondays though Thursdays as are many of the lecture classes. There are only a few classes in the dept scheduled early in the day on Fridays. He says, don't worry, the Chem Dept is VERY active and his classes are challenging. He has been quite successful, but works hard and studies alot for his science classes.</p>

<p>He has been very happy at UM. Good luck.</p>

<p>Another couple of corrections.....
The metrorail will not take you to South Beach. You could catch a Bus connection over from one of the stations, but you'll find that most students either drive or catch a cab when going to SoBe.</p>

<p>Also, there are actually 3 parking garages. Ponce (which is out near the south entrance) is visitor parking as well as garage parking for the Wellness Center, Convocation Center, and Standford/Hecht. Pavia garage is located closer to the apartment area and Mahoney/Pierson Residential has it's own garage located behind the dorms. Is that to say that there isn't still a parking problem...no! Even with the 3 garages and the surface lots parking is at a premium. Be aware though, with the addition of University Village opening this fall, it hopefully will aleiviate some of the problem.</p>

<p>Also....they have started on a complete remodel of the Cox Science Center.</p>

<p>I got my acceptance this weekend: 3/4 scholarship (1420 SAT + 3.5 GPA) My GPA is def. lower than their minimum requirement but my school is extremely competitive and UMiami barely gets serious apps from us. Its usually used as a safety so I guess they thought if they gave me the money that I would go + (I'm a URM.)</p>