2010 Acceptances and Decisions Thread

<p>Just logged into the application status checker. My first official college acceptance!</p>

<p>Congratulations! You have been admitted to the University of Wisconsin. We have mailed your official letter of admission and admission materials.</p>

<p>Not sure what I'm going to do though, still have several others pending/am considering applying elsewhere.</p>

<p>ACT: 34 composite
GPA: 3.9ish UW, 4.2 W, I believe 1st in class of 129
National Merit Commended
OOS, Minnesota</p>

<p>“Denied”</p>

<p>CA Resident
Legacy
ACT: 29
UW GPA: 3.5ish
W GPA: 3.8-3.9ish
ALL AP Classes
3 Sport Athlete/Captain, Job, 2 Internships, Founder of several clubs</p>

<p>I am deeply saddened.</p>

<p>My son sent his application about two weeks ago. I was under the impression that UW’s acceptance/rejections would be out in March. How did you get notifications so soon? Is there an early decision option that we are not aware of?</p>

<p>^ No. But there’s a new apply by “x date” and find out by “y date” and apply by “a date” and find out by “b date” thing. If your son already applied, he’s in the first group.</p>

<p>I sent my transcript and counselor form (I had no recs, probably why I got rejected) on August 31st , and submitted the application on the 2nd or 3rd of September. </p>

<p>Status changed to decision on October 3rd, which is today.</p>

<p>The published 1st day to submit was 9/15. Maybe you were denied for not following instructions. J/K, I think. Your ACT and GPA put you at about 55% for getting in. What was your class rank? They look at that before GPA when available. UW appears to not look at ECs as much as many schools. But yeah, you needed to a least supply 2 recs. And OOS from CA probably makes it harder than in state or OOS from smaller states with fewer applicants.</p>

<p>I am surprised Cody was not deferred. I’d ask about resubmitting with more info. I don’t think there is any Cali quota and OOS students who are full pay are highly sought these days.</p>

<p>Barrons, what do you mean by “resubmit with more info.?”</p>

<p>There’s gotta be something Cody’s not telling us. What did you apply for? Criminal record? Suspensions or expulsions? a 3.9+29 ACT should at LEAST be waitlisted or w/e</p>

<p>Cody,
I am sorry to hear your news - a “deny” is always tough during this process. But, given that it is early in the app process, maybe there are some things you can learn from this that will help with your other apps. If you give a bit more info maybe folks can help a bit more. </p>

<p>What was your class rank? Was your grade trend up or down?
If low rank and/or downward grade trend that could hurt, especially with no recs.
Any other mitigating circumstances?</p>

<p>I’d try this.</p>

<p>[Freshman</a> Applicants: Decisions - Office of Admissions at the University of Wisconsin-Madison](<a href=“http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/freshman/decisions.php]Freshman”>http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/freshman/decisions.php)</p>

<p>Get some good recs and tell them you are getting great grades this term and to take another look. Maybe retake ACT.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yeah, there is. I think I got rejected because:</p>

<ul>
<li>No Recs</li>
<li>Class rank was 212/501</li>
<li>I wrote the essays in roughly 45 minutes</li>
<li>Grade trend was bad (ok freshman year, excellent sophomore year, awful junior year)</li>
</ul>

<p>Status still hasn’t changed for me =[</p>

<p>UW has rolling admissions, therefore decisions can be received any time after completed app is received. They now give a date by when they will tell you their decision if you apply by a certain date, last year they seemed to have gotten swamped and behind this date according to CC posts. Applying earlier means finding out earlier, especially if it is a clear cut decision.</p>

<p>UW looks at grade trends, not just gpa- therefore an improving gpa will help while getting worse grades hurts, as Cody-- found out. All current juniors should be informed that this is the pivotal year for them- the year their grades matter the most.</p>

<p>Class rank and grade trend are brutal. Makes more sense now.</p>

<p>I’m shocked at Cody2010’s denial. Would be interested to see what other specs you had.</p>

<p>Seems like the competitiveness has gone up since I applied 4 years ago.</p>

<p>Edit: just read rest of the posts. Very interesting knowing more of the details.</p>

<p>Here’s my theory: numbers like Cody2010’s are great but not uncommon in this uber-competitive world we’re in. I think UW stacks these puppies up and starts looking for the shortcomings. No leadership commitment? Inconsistent or negative grade trends? Sloppy essay? BOOM! You’re done.</p>

<p>I’m enjoying this thread but the problem is that kids are going to post their NUMBERS while UW is, it seems to me, increasingly looking beyond numbers to make decisions.</p>

<p>They only take into account 9th and 10th grade marks. An awful junior and okay sophomore year don’t cut it, no surprise but sorry Cody.</p>

<p>What^^?? LOL they take into account 11th grade marks, they’re the most important at just about every college in the country</p>

<p>carmelojello15, what world do you live in where only 9th and 10th grade grades matter? They take into account all grades from 9th grade until the time you sent in your application (so grades 9-11), and after you’re accepted, you can still get rescinded.</p>

<p>Was your rank weighted?</p>