2010 Acceptances and Decisions Thread

<p>The college admissions counselor at my school told me that when he met with Madison admissions reps, he got the impression they they don’t/barely read essays and recommendations–its more important that you completed them.</p>

<p>That could be the case for clear admit/deny students but for most it could make the difference. Better to wow them with yourself than show you really didn’t care enough to put forth your best effort.</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted to CLS
GPA: 3.9/4 4.1/5
ACT: 29
Essays: decent
Recs: None
EC’s: only major one is a job, didn’t really have any clubs or volunteer work
5 AP classes</p>

<p>I have a question also. Do all freshman get accepted into the college of letters and sciences? Am I guaranteed to get in their business school?</p>

<p>You are definitely not guaranteed to get into the School of Business. You will have to apply, and the earliest you can apply is for sophomore admission, and you would apply second semester freshman year. The links are out there on the UW website if you want more information, look it up yourself. It is competitive to get into the school, and there are requirements you must meet. Again, look them up if you plan on applying.</p>

<p>Apparently they are moving from Junior admission to Sophomore admission. Here are some stats on how many have been admitted in the past:</p>

<p>[Undergraduate</a> Program - Admissions, School of Business, University of Wisconsin - Madison](<a href=“http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergraduate/admissions/]Undergraduate”>http://www.bus.wisc.edu/undergraduate/admissions/)</p>

<p>…The college admissions counselor at my school told me that when he met with Madison admissions reps, he got the impression they they don’t/barely read essays and recommendations–its more important that you completed them…</p>

<p>Your college admissions counselor is not correct.</p>

<p>I applied on the 31st of October and a counselor is “reviewing my application”. Do you think having the last name “Kim” will delay my decision…After all, half (exaggeration) the Korean population have the last name “Kim”</p>

<p>got in today!!! :)</p>

<p>I like the last name ’ Kim '. I think no admission counselor spends that much time on last names. so no worries.</p>

<p>I turned in my app. on 10/31 but have yet to hear back. When should I expect to hear by? </p>

<p>Here are my numbers</p>

<p>3.4 UW GPA
1990 SAT (710 W, 650 R, 630 M)</p>

<p>I also applied on 10/31. Today, my application status just changed to “Your application is being reviewed by one of our admission counselors. Check back here for updates on your application status.” How long do you think it will be until I get a decision?</p>

<p>Business
3.8 something uw, 4.1 something cumulative weighted
SAT: 2140, 710 M, 650 CR, 780 W
2 sport athlete, captain, 2 jobs, president of conservative club, decent essays, really good recs</p>

<p>A few weeks.</p>

<p>Are you guys who haven’t heard back all out of state?</p>

<p>I applied on 11/1 at like 11:40 pm and I heard back about 2 and a half weeks later, as did most of my friends, but we live in Minneapolis. </p>

<p>I have a 4.0, and a 35 and 2200, and I only had one rec and wrote bad essays. Basically my friends with good grades and test scores got in and the ones with not as good test scores and gpas got postponed. Before reading this thread, I assumed that they had admitted everyone with good numbers without reading the rest of their applications and postponed the rest until they could read them. I don’t think they could possibly read all of the applications in 2 weeks.</p>

<p>MNGirl:
I live in Minneapolis, I submitted mine at around the same time (literally) that you did, and I still haven’t heard back. (App being reviewed)
My teachers haven’t sent my recs yet, and I wrote bad essays, and my stats are pretty bad (30, 4.02W). I’m really scared. I think my recs will be pretty good though, if they make it on time before they reject me.</p>

<p>Rejection came today. I knew I wasn’t gonna get accepted but I still really wanted to go here so gave it a shot anyways.</p>

<p>2.6 GPA, bottom half of class, lots of AP’s, 25 ACT, 3 recs, good EC’s.</p>

<p>congrats to everyone who got in and GL to everyone still waiting. =]</p>

<p>OMG, so i just got postponed today. is that likely to be a rejection? when will the letter come? :(</p>

<p>Nope–still about 50-50</p>

<p>yeah, i just read the site they referred me to :expressionless:
does this mean they haven’t read my essays/reccs yet?
also, is it bad that i won’t have any new scores or any thing to send in? all i’ll have is my midterm report…
& now i have to wait until MARCH?! christt…</p>

<p>Remember that these are still rolling admissions- the LATEST you will hear is the March date. Postpone means they haven’t rejected you but they need to hold space for the many who haven’t yet applied. At least you know your iffy status so you can have a second choice applied to by their deadline. Patience is required. Also remember that most private schools won’t give ANY answer until March.</p>

<p>Everyone gets admitted to the university as a whole, regardless of intended major. Some schools/programs have additional requirements after spending time at UW and don’t guarantee admission to the specific major. Most freshmen end up in L&S since most need courses through it. You can change your major at any time. Your intended field of study does not affect your chances of admission.</p>

<p>I got in today. I sent my application in on November 2nd and I’m OOS.</p>