2010 Acceptances and Decisions Thread

<p>^for those postponed [me], it’s GOING to be around march 15th.</p>

<p>“An example is how a student from my school was accepted this year with an ACT of 23- she is not URM, but she did state she would major in Agriculture.”</p>

<p>WOW, i feel so much worse now. if only i had not studied so much for my 30. <em>cough</em>. plus, intended major means nothing, lol.</p>

<p>I am laura-- submitted my application and transcript on the 24th of October and ACT in on the 31st of Oct and still haven’t heard anything…</p>

<p>^You’ll hear by Jan 15th at the latest if what you said is true.</p>

<p>Son’s friend applied end of October. Still waiting in VA. I know it is hard to wait, but try to be patient - not too much longer. :slight_smile: Last year, son applied beginning of November - accepted on Jan. 15th. </p>

<p>Good luck to all.</p>

<p>I don’t know if this link has ever been brought up before, if it has I apologize, but it is COMPLETELY relevant to the admissions process. It should help answer a LOT of questions. It answers “myths” people have about Madison’s admissions process:</p>

<p>[Getting</a> in: The not-so-secret admissions process](<a href=“http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/index.html]Getting”>http://www.news.wisc.edu/admissions/index.html)</p>

<p>MNTwins, is it possible that I can get deferred on that day? Or is it a final decision.</p>

<p>I’m I honestly am not certain, but I see no reason why they couldn’t defer you. That would really suck though. Just got to wait and see…</p>

<p>Jan. 15th (for those who met the early deadline with a complete application) could receive a deny, admit, or postpone. If postponed, then find out mid-March, I think.</p>

<p>Here’s my stats:
GPA: 3.7. I go to the hardest private high school in Minnesota and I took all the hardest classes. My class rank is 15-20% but my school doesn’t report this. I got a 2300 on the SAT, 1580 on the M/CR sections. Submitted my application on Dec 20th. I heard that Wisconsin is cracking down on Minnesota kids this year - will this cause me to get postponed/rejected?</p>

<p>I should add (I don’t know how to edit) my essays were really weak; I spent like 10 minutes writing them… but I have three strong recs, good SAT II’s (800 on chemistry, 750 on Math II, 740 on Physics), good AP’s (5 on Chemistry, 4’s on English Lit, AP Calculus, and US History)… I’m in AP Calculus BC and AP Physics C among other things this year so I’m challenging myself (although my first semester grades will probably be a 3.45). Another fact - No one at my school with either a GPA as high as mine or SAT scores as high as mine has EVER got rejected from Wisconsin… but again, Wisconsin is cracking down on Minnesota kids and getting more and more selective. I really need to get in, because all of my other schools are real reaches.</p>

<p>I wonder about the “cracking down…” rumor. It could just be the selectivity is up, nothing special about MN residents, with students advancing stories like urban legends. I would want facts from reliable sources, not conjectures. Teachers could be warning students about the need to have good credentials and not make assumptions as well. BTW- if you were sloppy and didn’t show you cared about going to UW that could count against you. Your low gpa compare to your SAT scores may show you aren’t doing the work (are you?) this year. The material taught and hopefully learned senior year in HS will make it easier as a college freshman, no matter which college you attend.</p>

<p>I’m taking obscenely hard classes but my GPA is bad, and I fully realize that. I’m working hard, but my grades are still suffering. Hopefully Wisconsin will realize this.</p>

<p>You should get in. I got in with a higher gpa, but lower relative ACT, about the same class rank, way less ap’s, and no recs. I am from Minnesota as well.</p>

<p>Good to hear man, thank you. I really thought I was going to be able to count on admission here.</p>

<p>I was accepted with a GPA of around 3.9, 33 ACT with a writing score of 8.
7 AP classes, 3 of them i took the tests last year and got 4’s and 5’s. lots of EC’s and captain of swim team. i applied at the end of october and found out the 1st week in january. 2 letters of rec, member of national honor society. i live in wisconsin</p>

<p>Postponed:</p>

<p>GPA 3.6
ACT 29</p>

<p>I have the exact same stats as dman, so looks like I’ll get postponed as well.</p>

<p>28 ACT
3.85 GPA
wi res</p>

<p>Postponed…</p>

<p>These are absolutely horrifying.
Are they postponing everybody?</p>

<p>It seems like everyone is getting postponed. I dont know… I put my heart in my essays, had great letters of recommendation, and had the upward grade trend. I am low income, have a lot of service and work experience, and am a first generation college student. I dont know where the weakness on my app was…</p>