2010 Acceptances and Decisions Thread

<p>I didn’t know that UW has rolling admissions. Is this something new?</p>

<p>Not for at least 40 years.</p>

<p>Most public U’s have rolling admissions and have forever, probably even in the 1940’s (if I could call someone still alive from that generation I could verify). That influences yields as well- apply to a state U (as many as you need to to get into one) and have it as a safety for spring decisions for the other schools.</p>

<p>^^ So, for the record, does UW have rolling admissions? I am confused because Wis75 mentioned rolling admissions but Barrons says that they have not had it for years.</p>

<p>Barrons said at least 40 years, the not referred to “new”. YES, they have rolling admissions- always check the school’s website for the official answer for all of your questions. Surprised about anyone not realizing rolling admissions were at UW given the past threads about notification in recent years.</p>

<p>Thanks for clearing that up for me.</p>

<p>etherdome,
It is actually not crazy to be confused over the rolling admissions issue. I was uncertain last year as well because nowhere on the application or admissions site did it refer to “rolling admissions.” They refer to first and second notification periods. And, during our campus visit and tour, same thing. The admissions office did not call it rolling. It only became apparant once folks started reporting decisions. So, the notification dates are guaranteed…if ALL is in by the date, then answer will be by the corresponding date. However, they start reviewing in mid-Sept so the earlier the app is in, the better. Those with earlier apps seemed to hear back more quickly - as the deadline for each period approached, the volume going into the office increased and they started to get backed up although still met their promised dates. </p>

<p>:-)</p>

<p>Thanks Travelfun. Wis75 was right to call me out. To be honest, I never know who to believe on message boards. I should have trusted that folks like Barrons and Wis75 would have rebutted the OP’s post, if it were a hoax. </p>

<p>My son sent his application in about two weeks ago, but I just found out today that the guidance counselor misfiled his transcript request. The problem has supposedly been fixed. Hopefully, UW will get his transcript by early next week. </p>

<p>My son really wants to go to UW and I think that he would be a good fit. Let’s see what the admissions officers think.</p>

<p>For those who were denied- what exactly did it say on the online application tracker? Or did you receive the denial in the mail?
Right now my online tracker says this:
My Applications
UW-Madison General Course - BA Degree 2010 Fall Status Details Your application is being reviewed by one of our admission counselors. Check back here for updates on your application status. </p>

<p>Will my decision be posted online?
Thank you!</p>

<p>Cody, it will tell you a decision has been made. It will either say “Congratulations! You have been admitted to the University of Wisconsin. We have mailed your official letter of admission and admission materials.” for admit. For postpone or deny it will say something like “An admission decision has been made and a letter mailed to your address” or something. You won’t know you’re denied or postponed until you read the letter they send.</p>

<p>Received the actual letter in the mail yesterday in Minnesota. Was accepted into the college of engineering :)</p>

<p>Congratulations Matok! Make the most of your opportunities.</p>

<p>Pathetique, that’s what my status says right now. That a decision has been made and that I will receive it in the mail.</p>

<p>I’m top 2% of my class, 34 ACT, over 20 AP’s, 3 sports, job, etc… and are you telling me I didn’t get in? This was my SAFETY.</p>

<p>Matok- Congrats!
Did the status ever change on your UMinn. application tracker to say you were accepted or did you only find out via the mailed letter?
Below is what it says on my tracker:
Status of your application as of: October 9, 2009 .<br>
Please note: This is the most up-to-date information available to our staff.<br>
All of your required application materials have been received. Thank you! We will complete a very careful overall assessment of your application and your decision will be mailed no later than the end of February.
Hoping I don’t have to wait until February!</p>

<p>No no you misunderstood. I was just saying I live in Minnesota and received the U-Wisc acceptance letter lol sorry for the misunderstanding. I have the exact same status as you for UMinn</p>

<p>I think Cody was probably largely denied due to not having recs and class rank. Someone mention earlier about not following application instructions… in a way Cody clearly didn’t due to the school strongly suggesting to have rec’s. Perhaps along with class rank, not having recs maybe the school felt user wasn’t taking their application/ school seriously as other students… leading to a rejection.</p>

<p>^ Well, you see, I would have had recs. But the 3 teachers I asked for them all said no.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure it was the rank… it’ll probably keep me out of UIUC and Michigan too =[</p>

<p>Cody- you needed to find 2 teachers to recommend you and you were unable to- obviously there must be a reason 3 denied you and you didn’t try others. It seems you should have a discussion with your HS guidance counselor about this, that person also was writing a recommendation.</p>

<p>I didn’t send any recs? All I sent was the counselor form</p>

<p>matok, Some people get in without them, and some don’t. If your application doesn’t have any odd things that need explaining (and yours seems pretty solid and standard - good GPA, good class rank, good ACT, probably hard classes) it’s not okay to not send one, but it’s understandable why you got in without one, and someone with iffy stats didn’t.</p>