2010 Acceptances and Decisions Thread

<p>Finished the app and am gonna hand in transcripts tomorrow to complete the process, but was wondering if contacting the counselor (“Meet Your Counselor”) and expressing your sincere hope to get in (my first choice) is a good or bad thing to do. I was wondering why they show to your admissions counselors on the website with links to their e-mail, do they encourage you to e-mail them?</p>

<p>JMO but they get 25,000 applications each year and I doubt they want to hear from all of them. I think the email addresses are more for general questions and maybe to follow up on a particular issue. Not sure they would even bother to match up your email with your application. I doubt it would make a difference. Your sincere interest was probably something to put in the second statement. </p>

<p>What do you mean by hand in the transcripts? They should be sent from your HS.</p>

<p>That’s what i figured, and i did the best i could expressing my sincere interest in the second essay. Thanks for the response. And by hand in my transcripts i just meant to the guidance office where they send them off.
Also, anyone know the positives/negatives of taking the ACT multiple times?
I’ve taken it four times, but only sent schools my 29. A Wisconsin rep that came to our school recommended I go higher than a 29 since my g.p.a. is only a 3.6 weighted.
Any thoughts on if its a bad idea to take the ACT five times?</p>

<p>Disregarding the (dis)advantage of it for admissions to colleges or whatever, you’ve taken it four times. You can’t possibly do much better, and most ACT prep/whatever sites say stop at three because you really aren’t going to increase your score that much after the third time. Why waste the time and money on taking it again, when you can instead apply to another college or something? Do you even plan on “studying” for it more?</p>

<p>But that’s my personal opinion. I stopped at two. If you think fifth time’s the charm and you can do much better (as in a 2-3 point gain), go ahead. I don’t think it will hurt your chances in admissions, but I’m not an admissions counselor. Good luck regardless of what you do. :]</p>

<p>I am going to study for it alot, and that won’t exactly take time away from applying to other schools because by then I will have applied to the ones I want to go. But i figure getting a 30 is still better than a 29.</p>

<p>Wisconsin being the only application I DIDN’T withdraw after making my decision to go elsewhere, I got my decision.</p>

<p>North Dakota Resident
All AP/Honors
1 great rec
Excellent EC’s + job
Top 10%
3.7/3.8 GPA
35 ACT (2nd time)</p>

<p>Postponed.</p>

<p>But I don’t care since I’ve already said yes somewhere else.</p>

<p>Good luck Loonlake. Where ever you go, make the most of it.</p>

<p>Good lord, UW must really be raising their standards… But to go off-topic, have any of you guys been receiving things from off-campus housing already? I got a freaking phone call tonight, and have received three things in the mail now trying to get me to sign leases. Did UW sell my name and number off or what?? This is irritating, I haven’t received any of this crap from anywhere else</p>

<p>^ You probably arent going to get any answers, since you’re the only person here who didn’t get rejected/postponed.</p>

<p>Postponed; white female from KY; 3.65 GPA; Full AP Schedule; 32 ACT w/ 11 writing; 13/63 rank; mediocre ec’s</p>

<p>I still really want to go here! I’m a little bummed but there’s always hope =]</p>

<p>My son was admitted. UW housing packet came today. No off campus mail so far.</p>

<p>Its crazy loonlake was postponed with a 35. What happened to the ACT range of 26-30 for the middle %50 at UW?</p>

<p>Because grades and ACT are not everything? Not to mention it’s very early in the admissions process. That’s why people are postponed.</p>

<p>You people are treating postponement like it’s a horrible. It’s not, and it’s not being waitlisted. They just haven’t made a decision because they want to see the applicant pool before they decide on you or they want to see your first semester grades. And I’d bet a hundred dollars any of you postponed people with fantastic stats applied around the end of November, beginning of December you wouldn’t have heard postpone. You would’ve heard a yes or no, because they don’t postpone as many people then.</p>

<p>Why can’t they simply just not release any decisions until December then. Minnesota also is not sure how strong they’ll be and that’s what they’re doing.</p>

<p>This postponing crap could really bite the school by turning away some top applicant’s that may commit elsewhere and not consider UW again even if they later admit them.</p>

<p>Seiously though, it looks like Sconnies and Minnesotans are not having as much trouble getting in as the OOS’ers.</p>

<p>One more thing before everyone gets sick of hearing from me:</p>

<p>Do all these shenanigans mean ‘The Chart’ is no longer applicable? No more 32+ ACT, 3.8+ GPA = 95% chance of acceptance?</p>

<p>It’s the way they do things, and it would be unfair to not release someone’s decision until month’s after someone else who applied after them. And to not release any until December is far more likely to turn away applicants.</p>

<p>But if you turn away because you now have to wait longer, than that’s your problem, not the school’s. They have (top) qualified applicants to fill those spots. They won’t come begging you to come back. You don’t even have to send in your confirmation until May most places, and if you do confirm somewhere and then hear from UW and want to go there, you can always get that money back.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t be surprised if Wisconsin students have a slightly easier time getting in. It’s like that most places (students applying to their state’s university generally have a slighter easier chance getting it. It’s fair to the student’s of the state who have been and who’s family’s have been paying taxes to help keep that university running.).</p>

<p>And the chart was just a general guideline solely based off of numbers. It was completely and utterly worthless, and personally, I’m glad they got rid of it. (Edit: They brought it back? Or did they just not get rid of it? Because I swear they got rid of it.)</p>

<p>I haven’t been able to find a link to the chart from the admissions website since the site changed some time in August. The chart wasn’t by itself, it was on a page with minimum expectations, a profile of admitted freshman and the chart is labeled likelihood of admission. While the chart isn’t a guarantee, they wouldn’t have published it if it was completely useless as a predictor. In fact it says the chart may help gauge the likelihood of admission. I saved a link to the one from last year:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.education.wisc.edu/cap/UW_FreshmanExpectations.pdf[/url]”>http://www.education.wisc.edu/cap/UW_FreshmanExpectations.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It’s true the chart doesn’t indicate at all what ranges were admitted right away and which were admitted after being postponed. Being somewhat cynical, they may no longer link to it so as not to discourage applications and to raise their selectivity stats. I also wonder in this economy if they are worried about their yield increasing and having too many choosing to attend where in the past more wound up going elsewhere, though that would seem affect in state and MN most, where UW is a cheaper option than OOS or private. Perhaps they are being a bit more cautious this year.</p>

<p>One question I have is if someone is postponed early, do they still get an accept or deny by Jan 15 or not until Mar 15 with the 2nd notification period.</p>

<p>Alright, then I think they got rid of it. I thought this was the 2009-2010 application year. Duh.</p>

<p>Since they got rid of it, doesn’t that tell you something? And they say may. That’s a big freaking may. It’s like saying Tuesday I *may *ace my exam. Just because it may happen doesn’t mean it will or does. I think they removed it because, as they even say in their own article, the misconceptions people have because of the chart. It’s not purely a numbers game, which people infer from the chart, and that’s why the chart is useless. There’s many other factors, and it’s such a big school, and it is selective. Again, that’s why it’s useless. </p>

<p>And they won’t get notified until (at the latest) March 15. You can double check, but I’m almost 100% certain it’s March 15. Otherwise there would be no point in postponing them.</p>

<p>Yeah, I found where postponed get notified by Mar 15. When they say apply by Nov 1, get a decision by Jan 15 I think it’s disingenous to refer to postpone as a decision. It obviously isn’t. </p>

<p>“We receive approximately 25,000 applications for freshman
admission each year. Historically, we admit close to 55 percent
of applicants upon initial review, postpone 25 percent, and
deny 20 percent. In an average year, approximately 65 percent
of applicants are ultimately admitted (either initially or after
being postponed).”</p>

<p>I found the above interesting at this link:</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf[/url]”>http://www.admissions.wisc.edu/images/UW_Postponed_Applicant_FAQ.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The 65% ultimately admitted doesn’t jibe with published admit rates in the low 50s.</p>

<p>I’m probably way off, but I have a feeling the recent drop in USNews/tie with Illinois may have not went over that well with admissions.</p>

<p>That’s why instaters are getting a much better shot at admissions, as well as Minnesotans. For all you that got postponed, did you say you were applying for financial aid? They may be trying to protect their yields.</p>

<p>I have no other explanation for why I (from St. Paul) got in with a 32, 3.9, mediocre ec’s and no recs while others are getting postponed with 34’s and 35’s.</p>