2010 Acceptances and Decisions Thread

<p>Decision: Accepted LSA</p>

<p>ACT: 28
GPA: 3.85
Other stats: NHS, spanish honors society president, spanish club, interact club, lots of community service, varsity athlete 4 years, summer job past 2 years,
Essays: well written :slight_smile:
Teacher Recs: Assuming very good, only had 1
Counselor Rec: Excellent
Hook (if any): None
Location/Person:
State or Country: Michigan
School Type: Public, very competitive
Ethnicity: white
Other Factors: Submitted everything by Oct. 22nd</p>

<p>Yay!! Good luck to everyone else, hopefully you all get accepted as well!</p>

<p>Regarding Honors. The past couple of years they have decided everyone can apply for the Honors Program (doesn’t mean that many do, but shows how the caliber of students is high). Read up on it in the L&S site of the UW site. Other schools have their versions but most freshmen would be taking L&S corses. There are physics, math and chemistry sequences (honors biology sequence- Biocore- requires math and chemistry), integrated liberal studies plus individual courses/sections. Fluidity in entering/leaving honors so don’t fret if you decide to not join now. They also give honors advisors for SOAR and other things.</p>

<p>Youngbuck: What part of the state? Northern? Hard to find not very competitive schools in the milwaukee/madison suburbs.</p>

<p>Doesn’t being in honors give you priority during registration also?</p>

<p>My son just got the news via the website. Accepted</p>

<p>I can’t tell you how happy the home is right now. We visited the campus this summer and he didn’t stop grinning. I am nearly certain that he will attend. </p>

<p>Stats:</p>

<p>UWGPA = 3.3 WGPA = 4.0 He had rough freshman and sophomore years but started to get serious as a junior.
SAT 2030/2400 M 620, R 670, W 740
Course load heavy with AP’s. All other courses Honors level , NHS
EC’s:<br>
Heavy Theater resume with multiple lead roles, President of the Performing Arts club and a regional high school theater critic<br>
Founding member of an Improv Comedy Troupe with multiple national college festival appearances.<br>
Averaged over 100 hours of community service annually
Lead vocals, keyboard and guitar of a rock band (disbanded last year)
Recs: We didn’t actually see them, but all three of his teachers went out of their way to tell me that they would write glowing remarks about him.
Essays: Writing is his strong point
School Type: Catholic, seriously competitive
No legacy
Home: Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Ethnicity: Hispanic
Applied September 19; Transcript and recs in by Oct 1</p>

<p>I want to thank the regular posters on this board. All of your comments gave us a clearer picture of what UW is all about. </p>

<p>Good luck to all.</p>

<p>Congrats. Hope he’s ready to handle winter.</p>

<p>He thinks he is. I may have the opportunity to take him up to Madison in Jan or Feb. My hospital is purchasing an electronic records system for the OR’s. I’ll be visiting Wisconsin to take a look at one that was just installed at UW’s Hospital. </p>

<p>He will get a chance to experience the other end of the temp spectrum. </p>

<p>Any one have clothing advice? What are the better brands of boots, coats and gloves for a Florida kid in Madison?</p>

<p>Let’s Go Badgers!</p>

<p>Congrats to everyone who got in - hope to be seeing all you next year!</p>

<p>Feb is the coldest month of the year in Madison
one year on campus they closed it due to -35F weather. LL Bean or Lands’ End online should have really warm clothes. And you want really warm clothes/snow boots. Expect to spend several hundred dollars. You’ll want gloves, hat, scarf, boots, sweaters. And in spring, a lighter coat
like what you would wear in winter in Florida.</p>

<p>Having lived in Wisconsin all but two years of my life, I don’t know how people spend or why you recommend spending “several hundred dollars” on winter clothing. Maybe if you buy the first warm thing you see, yeah, of if you’re only buying North Face and Ugg boots. Seriously. I bought every winter thing I own for about $120, and that was too much. My winter jacket was $40, and my boots were $50. Then I have long underwear/pants I wear under my jeans (which are very nice to have. I really recommend getting some for the colder months. Jeans suck to walk in without them.). Add in hats, gloves, scarves, another thin jacket to go under my winter one if it gets *really *cold, and you have about that.</p>

<p>You don’t have to buy North Face or expensive brands to be warm. Yeah, they’re good quality, very nice, and quite popular, but there are other nice, good-looking, quality brands out there. If you want to waste several hundred dollars though, be my guest. I will never be one to spend $200+ on a winter jacket, though, when there’s one for 1/4 or even 1/2 the price that’s just as nice.</p>

<p>^^^^Pathetique, that is the kind of info I can use. I will be paying OOS tuition, so I need to save money where I can. What are the “alternative” brands that I should be looking at?</p>

<p>I should mention that my son likes to look good, but he is a basic and simple kind of guy. So, labels are not his thing.</p>

<p>Hi everyone,
Anyone interested in having a track and share our application timelines? Say like, if there are a few people apply to CS at University X, we can see when each other applied, when did they get accepted, etc so we can see on average how long it took.</p>

<p>Something similar but is currently used to track application to Financial Engineering, math finance programs in the US is available on [QuantNetwork</a> - Financial Engineering Forum - Application Tracker](<a href=“http://www.quantnet.com/tracker/]QuantNetwork”>Applications | QuantNet)</p>

<p>Do you know if we have something like that here?</p>

<p>my status still says “we are reviewing your application to make sure we have the necessary materials.” is it supposed to change??? because i mailed my stuff at least 2 weeks ago
</p>

<p>Yes it will eventually change, after they have received everything and say that one of the admissions officers is reviewing your application
 Mine took forever to change so just be pacient. A woman at the admissions office told me it takes them awhile to update online so they probably have everything and haven’t changed the status yet. I wouldn’t worry but if you are worried, just call and make sure they received everything.</p>

<p>Got Accepted into the college of Letters and Sciences.
Massachusetts Resident
SAT: 2030
GPA: 3.3 unweighted
Other Stats: NHS, 2 sports 1 captain. volunteer hockey coach
Good Recs and Essays</p>

<p>No overall priority for honors registration, but it means getting into honors classes. </p>

<p>Regarding winter clothes. Easiest to wait and buy locally next fall. Once he is here he can learn from others all about the diferences in types of winter gear. Columbia is another brand and every store has other brands. You will also notice a vast range when you visit campus this winter. My son hasn’t worn winter boots in years, just running shoes, in all weather, all over campus and beyond (he even ignored the ones left behind when shoveling the driveway during winter break). There is also a range in thickness, water/wind resistance, weight
 Some gear can be too warm or not warm enough, depending on the temp and the individual. You can usually wait until Thanksgiving or even Winter break to purchase things, especially if you have a fall jacket. Nonshoppers (often male) need to make it to some Madison area stores, easily done with the free bus pass.</p>

<p>Layering is the best thing to do. It can be very windy on campus because it is located along Lake Mendota. Bus passes are part of your fees and run regularly around campus.
They can get very crowded in cold weather.</p>

<p>My son heard back in under 2 weeks. He applied the end of September.</p>

<p>@ MNBadger: I go to Brown Deer. The top 10 or 15 students are competitive, but after that, there is a severe decline.</p>