2010 Panhellenic Preview Day

<p>My DD just went on the Greek Life website to register for the 2010 Panhellenic Preview Day, but when she got to the bottom of the online registration form, it asked whether she would be attending UA in the Fall of 2009 and whether she was participating in Fall 2009 recruitment. Hmm. I’m guessing this is last year’s registration form. Anyone else have this same problem?</p>

<p>Thanks! :)</p>

<p>Is there an email address anywhere that you can use to contact and ask when the new form will be up?</p>

<p>^^^ Great idea! Yes, there’s a contact email address for the Office of Greek Affairs, so I’ll send off an email to let them know there’s a problem. I checked the Fraternity registration form, too, and it has the same 2009 wording.</p>

<p>I guess we’re jumping the gun (the date isn’t until March 27th), but my daughter’s so excited, she wanted to register right away. :)</p>

<p>Thanks, mom!</p>

<p>Probably a good idea to jump the gun. All the good hotels in town will fill up quickly if you don’t get to it quickly enough.</p>

<p>feenotype,</p>

<p>We made hotel reservations back in November, the same day we sent in my D’s enrollment deposit. And I’m sure glad we did–I was shocked to see that over 1200 people attended last year’s Preview weekend. Wow! But thanks for the suggestion! :)</p>

<p>Is it permissible for D to stay with a friend who is in a sorority for this weekend? (PS. What is DD? :))</p>

<p>erisamom,</p>

<p>DD is sometimes used on forums to mean “Darling (or Dear) Daughter.” DS is “Darling Son,” DH is “Darling Husband,” etc. At least that’s my understanding–someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. </p>

<p>And yes, I believe it’s fine for girls to stay with current sorority girls while visiting–at least I hope so, since that’s what mine is doing! But, of course, we parents still need a hotel room… :)</p>

<p>Are parents invited or needed?</p>

<p>DD & I attended the Sorority Preview last year.</p>

<p>We meet in the Bryant Center where they addressed both the girls & their parents.</p>

<p>Then organized the girls for the afternoon of touring.</p>

<p>Parents stayed and had info sessions and each house had representatives present with information sheets…GPA, house dues etc.</p>

<p>That filled most of the afternoon (of course I’m sure it is optional to attend).</p>

<p>After the girlsfinished house tours; the parents & girls met up for a Bar B Q down sorority row!</p>

<p>It was really a nice event.</p>

<p>erisamom,</p>

<p>I don’t believe it’s mandatory for parents, but there is a program for the parents who do choose to attend. Hopefully someone in the know will weigh in on that. Maybe Calantha, who’s a sorority advisor at Bama, or one of the moms or dads whose daughter attended the Preview in years past… :D</p>

<p>omama,</p>

<p>LOL I guess you read my mind! Thanks for the response! :)</p>

<p>and so…which hotels do yall like in the area? Thanks much.</p>

<p>What type of attire is appropriate for both PNMs and their moms at this? I’m assuming that a casual dress with a light sweater would be ok for the PNM, but what about the moms? I’m a pant wearing kind of woman, but don’t want to embarrass my D if I’m the only mom not in some type of Lilly Pulitzer ensemble :)</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>Now, get yourself to Saks or Neimans so that you don’t embarrass your D! LOL Totally just kidding.</p>

<p>Nice pants outfit is FINE!</p>

<p>erisamom,</p>

<p>When we visited the campus this past fall, we stayed at a Wingate by Wyndham and were very happy with the choice. Someone here on CC had suggested it (and got a heck of a deal on Priceline), so we did the same! It’s newer and quite nice. The only negative is that it’s seven miles from campus, but honestly, that didn’t bother us at all since it’s a quick drive. </p>

<p>In addition to making reservations for Panhellenic Preview, we made reservations for move-in day because I’m sure these hotels fill up quickly… Just a thought!</p>

<p>The girls all wore sun dresses; and honestly with all those young ladies there were very few duplicates (moms you know thats a big deal…) I believe the PNM s are told to wear comfortable walking shoes, if they want they can put on heels at each house.</p>

<p>DD is not much of a heel wearer so she chose a sandle that would be comfortable to walk in.</p>

<p>Mom’s the advice is the same, we parked at the Bryant and walked to sorority row…so make sure what ever attire you choose (anything is fine) your shoes are comfortable.</p>

<p>As I remember last year it was around 70 degrees, so as evening came a sweater was needed.</p>

<p>Also I remember (in case other family members are joining)… there was a baseball game in the evening and also a gymnastics meet. So check the Rolltide web page. </p>

<p>Girls softball may also be having a game.</p>

<p>Have Fun!!</p>

<p>omama,</p>

<p>Thanks for the information! We’re really looking forward to it!</p>

<p>Just an update for anyone interested in registering for the Panhellenic Preview Weekend. I emailed the Office of Greek affairs today to tell them the online registration was out-dated, and when my daughter checked the registration form tonight, she saw it had been changed/updated! :)</p>

<p>LOL…</p>

<p>Squeaky wheel gets the grease!</p>

<p>I looked at the Greek Life web page…</p>

<p>It looks like the Panhellenic Weekend will meet at the Zone which is part of the Stadium!</p>

<p>Very close to sorority row!! Get those heels out ladies!! Just kidding!</p>

<p>But it will be much closer for everyone involved!!</p>