2011 Bama Bound Dates

<p>The UA website has posted the 2011 Bama Bound dates. Registration is available beginning on Feb. 1.</p>

<p>Hmm, S is not sure which to choose. Early honors obviously is the first, but it is only one day. Honors & Blount are next with two 1.5 day dates. I thought we would go down for early honors, but I don’t see language placement in the one day. I would assume its best to choose classes early?
The first freshman express orientations start before the honors/blount, so I wouldn’t think you could wait too long and get the classes you need?
Can those who have done 'bama bound weigh in please?
Tx</p>

<p>Because of other commitments in May and early June, my son could not go to any of the Bama Bounds before late June. He got the classes he needed, so if the schedule does not work, do not worry. Your son will be able to land the classes he wants or needs, if not the first semester, then the second. Remember, the upperclassmen register this March for classes for this fall.</p>

<p>Also, students who could not get into a class while at Bama Bound can get a spot when full registration opens again in early August. My son dropped one class and picked up another well after Bama Bound. AP/IB credits also can alter a student’s fall schedule.</p>

<p>ldinct: they hold seats back in all classes for each Bama Bound. In theory, your child should have the same ability to get in a class whether they go to the first Bama Bound or the last (which a number of the OOS students have to go to due to travel costs/time.) If you register early though, you can wait for seats to open during each subsequent Bama Bound. </p>

<p>If your child will be in Honors, I strongly suggest going to one of the honors Bama Bound’s so they can meet other kids that will probably be in their classes, but it’s not necessary. D ended up meeting a couple of friends at Bama Bound that she still hangs out with.</p>

<p>We did Bama Bound last year. D is a freshman currently. She is not part of the Honors program but registered for a very rigorous Pre-Med curriculum. We went to the first orientation. Last year when registering for classes it was explained to us that a set number of spots in each class were available for each session so that students were not penalized if they could not attend a early session. My D got all the classes she needed/ wanted. I wished she would have listened to the advising team as opposed to the student who helped her choose classes…she got in wayyyyy over her head! She was over a 4.0 student in high school, taking AP classes but it did not prepare her for balancing multiple pre-med science classes, labs and a higher level math class. As a pledge in a sorority (and even though they preach grades, grades, grades…) she had a tough time staying on top of 50 math problems a night as well as 25 pages of chem problem and biology and her sorority required activities. Needless to say we have readdressed her major and have adjusted her Spring semester schedule accordingly!
I would not worry about class availability as far as dates go but note that there are only so many slots per date.
I wonder if you are an Honors kid attending a regular session if that opens up more spots for you?
Although I cannot speak to the agenda for Honors but our program was a day and a half with kids registering for classes the morning of day 2.
I heartily suggest that they stay in the dorms if it is an option. My D met lots of girls (and boys :slight_smile: ) that she remained in contact with throughout the summer and met back up with when school started (as well as during recruitment).<br>
We also arranged it so that her roommate (whom she met on the roommate finder and has worked out so well!) went to Bama Bound at the same time. It gave them a chance to bond a little and I got to meet her parents…it was nice.
Good luck! You will love it there!
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Just like momreads son, my son attended one of the very last Bama Bound dates. He was a NMF but did not make his decision to attend UA until just before the May 1st deadline. He had no problem getting the classes he wanted. As a matter of fact, he was selected for the CBHP AFTER he attended Bama Bound (one of the students selected for CBHP chose not to attend UA - opening a spot for one unexpected student). Our son was able to get his classes changed before the school year started. </p>

<p>Ahpimommy brings up a good point about carefully selecting classes. Honors and Non Honors students (and parents) listen up! Just because you may have completed AP classes in HS and can get college credit… you are NOT REQUIRED to take credit for the AP course work. There are many things to consider. If you know you are planning on participating in RUSH or you are struggling with your AP class or the AP exam(s), you may want to take the class again at UA. In my son’s case, he scored a 5 on eight different AP tests. He is a Math major, knew he was going to walk on to the an Athletic team and was also in CBH. He chose to take Honors Calculus (again) rather than take the AP credit. He did not want to have a heavy load of “NEW” course material during the adjustment period of college life. He was far from home, had the added time restraints of Div I Athletics and wanted to make sure his AP class did not miss key topics that could be critical to the Mathematics curriculum at UA. </p>

<p>Prepare your self to succeed. You will no longer have parents checking to see how late you are out and if you are even attending classes. (Remember, Most parents have been there - done that!)</p>

<p>If you go to the Early Honors session, when do you take your Math and Foreign Language Placement tests? These are not part of the intinerary, yet they are in the 1.5 day sessions.</p>

<p>There are only foreign language placement tests for certain languages. </p>

<p>My son had to gauge for himself where he would place in his Italian language class. He did this by talking to his teacher.</p>

<p>You do not have to wait to register however, you will still have to make sure that you get your dual enrollment transcripts sent in early to UA so that your pre-req is met (they need time to review and approve your course and credits). </p>

<p>You could probably check with an advisor if you are still unsure about what class to register for.</p>

<p>Not sure what S is going to do about Spanish. Along with math (that I have discussed ad infinitum(sp?), spanish is not his strongest subject. But, he really wants to learn it and be in IHP, etc. He has had Span1-4 in hs, best student in the non-AP his teacher tells me. I was trying to get him to get credit for the first year through testing, then I think he could test out of one year. Then that would only leave one year to meet requirements. How hard is the test? Or, would it be beneficial to just start at the beginning, or take Span 2 & 3?</p>

<p>^</p>

<p>My older son didn’t feel that confident with his Spanish, so he started with Spanish 103 - which is Intensive Review Spanish. After completion, the class counts for the 2 req’d Foreign Language courses.</p>

<p>It served as a good review. Bama has mostly native speakers for Spanish profs (maybe they’re all native speakers). The profs with the first name Ana are all good. So, is Dr Cano. Don’t know about the others.</p>

<p>Both sons have continued with Spanish, and both are also taking Italian this semester.</p>

<p>All the Italian profs are very good.</p>

<p>That is helpful information, but when would you take the placement tests for Math and French if you attended the Early Honors session? Placement tests are not included in the one day Bama bound session agendas.</p>

<p>m2ck,
excellent suggestion- Spanish 103 might work well for him. Then he would only have to take one more year of Spanish I think. After all the APs I just can see him prepping for another test and this class might not be a bad first semester option.</p>

<p>mom2collegekids:</p>

<p>Did your son have to take a Placement Test in order to get into Spanish 103 or did he automatically qualify based upon 2 or more years of High School Spanish?</p>

<p>A student doesn’t need placement tests to get into the 103 classes…just 2 years of high school courses.</p>

<p>I don’t know what is done about placement tests for those who go to those BB’s that don’t offer the tests. Hmmmm…you might have to contact the placement testing office and ask.</p>

<p>S has had 4 years of Spanish, I will have to read the outline and see if 103 would be good for him, but I would think so.<br>
Need to figure out what else you lose by going to the BB without the half day. Since we are coming from so far, I would rather do 1.5 days.
I should ask, does a parent attend BB? Do they sit in on class selection and advisor meeting? I would think not, but I have no idea.</p>

<p>No. Parents do not sit in on advising & class selection.</p>

<p>There is a parent portion of Bama Bound that runs parallel to the student portion. Last year a whole bunch of us on this thread met up at Bama Bound and “found” each other during the parent events (AL34, momofonly1, thestudent, robotbldmom, John441, who else?) I remember getting texts from my D during the advising/registering portion while us parents were sitting in a very well done “what to expect when your kid goes to school” session.</p>

<p>^^^As RobD posted above there are many interesting things for parents to do, while your students are kept busy. My personal favorite was the chance to meet and get to know other CC parents. Perhaps some of you will do the same this year.</p>

<p>It was definitely great meeting up with our CC crew at Bama Bound!</p>

<p>Before the actual registration process, there was a session we attended with our students where we met with an advisor from their college or department. My D is in A&S and there was a group meeting we attended with about 20 other students. We got some generic info and had an opportunity to ask specific questions. My D left there with a game plan for registration, which was comforting for me when she went off to register the next morning.</p>

<p>My best advice on Bama Bound is to tell your student to put together a sample schedule before he or she goes. The schedule for the fall classes will be on mybama throughout the spring. You’ll be able to see which classes are closed, what honors classes are offered, the number of sections, professors’ names, etc. Remind your student that he or she does need to eat, so he or she should make sure to schedule a time block for lunch. If your student has AP/IB/dual enrollment credit, take that into account when coming up with a list of eight or so possible classes. This will make registration a little less confusing or intimidating.</p>

<p>^^^also don’t forget that the schedule they make at Bama Bound isn’t set in stone. If they’re shut out of a particular class, or realize that maybe an 8 o clock class isn’t for them, or their AP scores come back in July & they can replace a class with AP credit, they can add and drop during the summer. </p>

<p>D had combed through the schedule before we went to Bama Bound and had a fairly good idea of what she wanted to take; I don’t think she got every section she wanted but she was prepared enough to adjust that on the fly.</p>