2011 Ron Brown Scholarship

<p>Only a few more days till we know! I really hope this scholarship comes through. It seems to be more than just money. Especially the trip to DC…</p>

<p>Yeah, it seems like a great opportunity, regardless of the money. I just don’t know if I’ll have a chance because I wasn’t aware that the scholarship had a need based aspect.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>A quick peek at the Scholars’ profiles will show you that most of the recipients were at or near the top of their classes. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is a pretty big factor in who receives the scholarship. Nevertheless, good luck!</p>

<p>My D found out today that she is a semifinalist! Her hs counselor called her in to her office and handed her a package with the details. It says that 55 semifinalists were chosen out of over 6200 applicants. I was surprised that the notification was sent to the high school, and not to our home. We are very happy.</p>

<p>Be on the look out for your packets everyone. Good luck!</p>

<p>Congrats! So the only notification you received was from the counselor?</p>

<p>The message was faxed to Ds counselor today. It informed the counselor that my D was a semifinalist and asked the counselor to pass the information on to her. D has to write two more essays (500 words each), send in a copy of her mid-year grade report card and mail in a photo. It’s all due by February 11.</p>

<p>Oh ok. Thanks for the news. My school has been out this whole week due to weather, so I hope if I was a semifinalist that my counselor got the message. Once again, congrats to her! I’m not sure if I’ll get it, since I didn’t realize that financial need was a huge aspect, but hopefully they will look at my application as a whole.</p>

<p>For those of you who applied for the scholarship, be sure to check your mailboxes and talk to your counselors on Monday. D was told that both emails (to the school) and letters (to the applicant) were sent. The 54 others who made it to semifinalist only have until Friday (!) to complete your application. Only 16 of the 55 semifinalists will be invited to DC.</p>

<p>Anyone else made semi-finalist?</p>

<p>I’m also a semi-finalist! I’m up late hammering out the essays =)
However, my family does pretty well financially so maybe money isn’t a huge deciding factor…? Check your mail if your school is not in session because you only have until Friday to submit!</p>

<p>Congratulations eocto3!
You all deserve it!</p>

<p>Congratulations eocto3! The 7-day turnaround is pretty tough. But, perhaps that’s a part of the test to see who deserves to become a finalist.</p>

<p>I’ve called them to ask, they won’t tell me directly if I’ve progressed to the next level or not. my twin brother called and then they told him he should have gotten something but he hasn’t received anything. What could be the possibility that he is a semi-finalist and I’m not? (We have the same grades, achievements, and writing capabilities)</p>

<p>Congratulations dignified1 and eocto3!
I haven’t heard anything yet, so i’m assuming I didn’t advance to the next level. Either way, best of luck to all the semi-finalists.</p>

<p>I did not receive anything either so I am taking it as I did not go on to the next level. That’s fine with me. This scholarship just was not meant for me. Still praying on the Gates Millennium Scholarship though. I put my heart into that application (which is exactly what I should have did for Ron Brown Program). Nevertheless, I’ve learned my lesson. Give my all in everything!
Once again Congratulations semi-finalists!=)</p>

<p>Congratulations, everyone! :)</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Money matters when it comes to deciding the finalists. Trust me on that one.</p>

<p>“Money matters when it comes to deciding the finalists.”</p>

<p>But, not the semifinalists?</p>

<p>We’re really hoping for the trip to DC. It would be great for my D to meet all of the other finalists. But, although the cut from over 6200 applicants to 55 semifinalists was harsh, the cut from 55 semifinalists to 16 finalists will be brutal. I sincerely hope, ksarmand, that you’re wrong about the money aspect of making it to finalist status.</p>

<p>I didn’t receive anything. And from the looks of it, since the Semi-Finalist stuff is due tomorrow, I obviously didn’t win. :frowning: Double rejection in one day. I feel like I may not be able to go to college now.</p>

<p>^Don’t give up hope!</p>

<p>has anyone heard back from the Ron Brown Scholarship? By what date will they notify you if you are a semi-finalist?</p>