2012 Bama Bound dates are posted

<p>The BB dates are up- the web site says they are tentative dates…</p>

<p>3 Honors BB dates, May 29-30, May 31-June 1 & July 9-10. It looks like for our family the July dates work best. The website says registration will be available in early Feb.</p>

<p>Can anyone comment on how hard it is to get in the first session?</p>

<p>When do signups begin?</p>

<p>Website says early February but I didn’t see an exact date.</p>

<p>I cannot say specifically about the first session but in our experience and those of our friends you really need to be on the ball about registering as they seemed to fill rather quickly. I would be especially diligent if you have a strong preference of one of the times over the others. As a side note, if traveling with younger siblings who are teens, I recommend making arrangements other than sibling orientation. This was the one area with which we were greatly disappointed and felt needed much better logistical planning. By the way, quite a few people showed up for BB without shampoo, soap, and other personal care items. The UA will provide linens for parents and siblings, but it is a dorm experience and not a hotel. We were prepared, but there were several who were not and were unhappy. It is explained in the information the UA provides though.</p>

<p>The UA will provide linens for parents and siblings, but it is a dorm experience and not a hotel.</p>

<p>So we don’t need to book a hotel for this (for students or parents)?</p>

<p>No. There is a charge, but when you register there is the option for parents to stay in the dorms. If it is like last year the parents were assigned rooms in the south tower and the students were in the north tower. Our two younger teens enjoyed it also. Most of the suites are four person suites so that allowed two bathrooms for getting ready, a fridge, microwave, and four bedrooms for the four of us.</p>

<p>It was very nice and we had access to the laundry facility for our towels. Sheets were provided for parents and siblings but not for students. It made getting to and from events very convenient and also parking was nearby at the Ferg. I would recommend it over a hotel. If I remember correctly check in was at five.</p>

<p>Class 2012mom…</p>

<p>Parents often opt to book a hotel rather than pay to stay in a dorm. If 2 parents are coming, then each pays for a separate dorm room (each with one twin bed). So, many parents opt for a hotel room.</p>

<p>The dorms are the 4 bedroom super suites…so you don’t get a suite or bathroom to yourself. You get a bedroom and a shared bath.</p>

<p>*Most of the suites are four person suites so that allowed two bathrooms for getting ready, a fridge, microwave, and four bedrooms for the four of us.
*</p>

<p>^^^This is only the case if you have 4 (non-student) people coming…which is rare. In such a situation, it’s great since you have the suite to your family.</p>

<p>Shoot. None of the 2 day honors dates work for my D. </p>

<p>What will she miss out on if she goes June 11/12? </p>

<p>Also, does anyone know what the early honors Bama Bound is like? Why is it only 1 day and the others are 2? D might be able to do that one if AP tests are over. </p>

<p>Did any of your honors students ever go to the regular Bama Bound? Did it all work out?</p>

<p>It is going to be a busy summer!</p>

<p>CLASS2012Mom,</p>

<p>Visit the website and find the link for parent orientation under Bama Bound. If you look under the housing tab, you will find more information. Rates range from $38 for one parent, $76.00 for a two person suite, and $130 for a family of four. All linens for parents and siblings are included. We brought extra towels ourselves. The students are assigned roommates randomly in the north tower. For us, it was much better than a hotel. Tons of parents stayed in the south tower. Best of luck to your Bama Bound student. I hope they love Bama as much as ours do. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>I don’t think she will miss out if you cannot work it out for an honors session. Classes are set aside to be available at the different sessions so it isn’t necessary to go to the first one to get the classes she wants.</p>

<p>*Also, does anyone know what the early honors Bama Bound is like? Why is it only 1 day and the others are 2? D might be able to do that one if AP tests are over.
*</p>

<p>I wouldn’t recomend that one for someone coming from OOS. Usually that’s for locals /in-state who’ve been to Bama lots of time. </p>

<p>The one day BB leaves out the opportunities to meet other students. The overnight one includes a pool party (aat the Pool Complex) and a game room party (in Riverside South).</p>

<p>Your D won’t miss much going to the June 11th BB. </p>

<p>I sure wish honors would have a later June or July BB!!</p>

<p>$130 for a family of four</p>

<p>^ This is for a family of four…not including the student, right? The student stays elsewhere.</p>

<p>$76.00 for a two person suite,</p>

<p>There are VERY FEW two person suites, so don’t think that you and a spouse come that you’ll get a private 2 person suite.</p>

<p>Can I also ask if Alabama Action is the week before freshman move in? Does it mean students taking part in Alabama Action can move into their dorm room and then stay? Do we have any idea for dates yet? </p>

<p>It is going to be a crazy summer with 2 in college, 2 going to Notre Dame Vision, 2 in high school marching band camp, a family vacation,… I need to get definite dates on my calendar instead of trying to guess.</p>

<p>Yes. This is for the family and does not include the student. I cannot remember what her charge was but it was a good opportunity to meet other students for her. I can only speak for our experience as an OOS family. This worked much better for us. We were joined by tons of other parents who also chose to stay in the dorms. I believe it added to our experience being on campus and it was much more convenient. Other nice places to stay are the Capstone, the Hilton, the Hampton Inn, and the Yellow Hammer (although it is very inconveniently located).</p>

<p>Alabama Action moves in the week before others. It is the same week as rush and yes the students stay once they move in.</p>

<p>Thanks for the information. I’ll have to figure out some things before we decide to give up the hotel room (or not give it up). </p>

<p>I have a niece who should be eligible for Presidential Scholarship the following year (Class of 2017). I was thinking I could bring her, not necessarily for the usual tour, as I’m sure campus will be busy with other things, but just to see the campus itself. She’s very hesitant about going so far from home. I know it’s not the optimal time for a visit but it may be the only in person chance she’d get, as finances are a huge concern. Is this a terrible idea?</p>

<p>Regardless of whether you decide to stay in the dorm I would recommend holding the hotel reservations until AFTER you receive your confirmation for Bama Bound. Hotel reservations are best kept until you have other plans confirmed since hotel rooms are often hard to come by. Best of luck.</p>

<p>My wife and I stayed in the dorms last year for BB and enjoyed it. Can’t beat the convenience of staying right on campus. Also gives you a chance to really scope out the dorm rooms for determining what may or may not be needed for the dorm and what may or may not fit/work for the dorm.</p>

<p>*I have a niece who should be eligible for Presidential Scholarship the following year (Class of 2017). I was thinking I could bring her, not necessarily for the usual tour, as I’m sure campus will be busy with other things, but just to see the campus itself. She’s very hesitant about going so far from home. I know it’s not the optimal time for a visit but it may be the only in person chance she’d get, as finances are a huge concern. Is this a terrible idea? *</p>

<p>Sounds like a great idea! (wow, 2017 sounds so far into the future…but it’s not!)</p>

<p>As for parents staying in dorms or hotels. I’ve done both. When my H came, we stayed in a hotel (Capstone) cuz he’s not the type to want to share a suite with strangers…plus, he likes to watch a little TV before going to sleep. lol</p>

<p>When I went alone one year, I stayed in the dorm and I was fine…but I’m more social than H.</p>

<p>randomparent,</p>

<p>I totally agree. I didn’t think we were the only parents who felt that way.</p>