2013 Clean Official Boarding Decisions and Applicant Stats/ECs

<p>Sorry for the confusion on my earlier post. I typed it up at like midnight and made changes before posting. Guess I’m still groggy. I didn’t edit well.</p>

<p>** Decision: Accepted at Exeter**</p>

<p>Stats:[ul]
[<em>] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 94
[</em>] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: 1 B+ rest all A’s
[<em>] Rank: no rank
[</em>] Other stats:
[/ul]Subjective:[ul]
[<em>] Essays: Good i think
[</em>] Math Rec: Good
[<em>] English Rec: Good
[</em>] Other Rec Rec: Good
[<em>] Principal/Counselor Rec: Good
[</em>] Sports (if any):
[<em>] Instruments (if any):
[</em>] Other ECs (if any):
[<em>] Hook (if any): Brother is a current student at Exeter[/ul]
Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: NH, USA
[<em>] Current School Type: Public
[</em>] Ethnicity: Asian (Indian) American
[<em>] Gender: M
[</em>] Grade: applied for 9th[/ul]
Other Factors: Good interview, Attended summer school at Exeter with good results
General Comments:</p>

<p>** Decision: Accepted at Exeter**
Decision: Waiting for Andover results</p>

[<em>] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 93rd percentile
[</em>] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: ~4.0 (I’ll try to calculate this later, lol)
[<em>] Rank: no rank
[</em>] Other stats:
[<em>] Essays: Well-written
[</em>] Math Rec: He told me he wrote a very nice rec
[<em>] English Rec: Probably average/a little above
[</em>] Other Rec Rec: Very good
[<em>] Principal/Counselor Rec: Good
[</em>] Sports (if any): Rec soccer for 5/6 years, travel soccer for 1
[<em>] Instruments (if any): Piano for 8 years, cello for 5.
[</em>] Other ECs (if any): Very into art/photography, I know some Mandarin, I’ve done horseback riding for about three years
[<em>] Hook (if any): the arts, maybe?
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: USA
[<em>] Current School Type: Public
[</em>] Ethnicity: Caucasian
[<em>] Gender: Female
[</em>] Grade: applying for 9th
[/ul]Other Factors: had good interviews
General Comments:</p>

<p>Congrats on the Exeter acceptances guys!</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted at Choate Rosemary Hall
Decision: Waitlisted at The Hotchkiss School
** Decision: Rejected at The Taft School**
** Decision: Waiting for Andover**</p>

<p>Stats:

[ul][li]SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT/SAT: SSAT 2247 (95 percentile), SAT 1800 (80 percentile)[/li][li]GPA Unweighted-Weighted: 3.804 UW, 3.998 W[/li][li]Rank: Top 10%[/ul] [/li]Subjective:

[ul][li]Essays: My Hotchkiss ones were over 500 words, so Gateway kindly chopped off the most important parts; I’m actually very surprised at getting a waitlist! My Choate essays were all rather monotonous and threw in various hackneyed terms that I now cringe at, so I have no idea how I got in. Likewise, my Taft essays had nothing special in them. However, my Andover essays were glowing-they actually represented what I was like and what I stood for.[/li][li]Math Recommendation: My Math teacher knows that I’m hard-working and committed, since I’ve been going in early every day for extra-help sessions. Teacher has also applauded my grade increase from a B to a B+.[/li][li]English Recommendation: My English teacher loves my poetic style, but frowns slightly at how my expository writing. Told me before that I have an innate writing talent that I should definitely delve in further into in high school.[/li][li]Other Recommendation: My dancing coach has known me for years, so really professed about my artistic talents and my drive and passion.[/li][li]Principal Recommendation: My principal didn’t even know me, and didn’t even want to fill in the recommendation forms. It took two weeks of lobbying for it to even pass, and the principal is also famous for being apathetic. So, in other words, it was most likely lackluster.[/ul][/li]Activites:

[ul][li]Sports: Dance: Ballet-5 years, Modern-3 years, Ethnic-1 year[/li][li]Instruments: Cello-4 years, Flute-2 years, Piano-1 year[/li][li]Other Extracirriculars: School Newspaper-1 year[/li][li]Hooks: Does having a compelling personal story count?[/ul][/li]Location/Person:

[ul][li]State or Country: Northeastern United States[/li][li]Current School Type: Public Middle School[/li][li]Ethnicity: Asian[/li][li]Gender: Female[/ul][/li]Interviews:

[ul][li]Choate: My interviewer and I really connected, and started meadering off to talk about Arts and discuss various topics. There were really no questions posed, and it wasn’t very productive.[/li][li]Hotchkiss: I had an amazing interview at Hotchkiss! The interviewer brought me to the Art Salon, where students were showcasing their work; I got to ask some of them about the art at Hotchkiss. Consequently, I was really open and upbeat in answering questions. However, I did not get to meet Mr. Noyes, the art department head.[/li][li]Andover: The interview was mundane and followed an interrogation format. I stumbled over some questions, and mumbled out others. In one, I completely bluffed. The interviewer was not impressed, and seemed to scent out my skepticism for the school (I wasn’t really sure if I could fit in at Andover or not. The reputation and multitude of the student body all scared me.)[/li][li]Taft: I got a sports coach as an interviewer, and I don’t even play sports! Gym is my least favorite-and my worst-subject. Thus, we did not get to talk about my passion for Arts. I also had to veer off-course and ramble about the sense of community and how I appreciated that. We were both at a disconnect, and I did not do well there.[/ul][/li]Other Factors: Needed 50+ percent of Financial Aid to “make the magic happen!”</p>

<p>General Comments: I had called FedEx the day before, and they had said that I had no packages coming my way-none from Andover and certainly none from Hotchkiss. So I was already pretty certain that I was denied at both.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Does this mean that I got the 50+ percent of financial aid I needed? :smiley: Yay!</p>

<p>Nothing is showing on my go choate page ?!?!?? D:</p>

<p>^ Try again. There should a link in light blue, hidden at the bottom of your page. At least, it was like that for me…</p>

<p>@GoldenRatio Considering Choate’s tuition is like 50,000 then I think so :D</p>

<p>@bgal101: Oh. My. GOSH!!! I actually can actually attend Choate? This doesn’t mean that my family has to pay ~40,000?! It means that we only have to pay ~10,000?!</p>

<p>I’m furiously reloading my go choate and even think my mac’s gonna crash haha but there’s nothing :frowning: Even though when I click the link that says “review your admission decisions online” it delivers me to my application page with 0 info about the decision.</p>

<p>^ Good luck! :)</p>

<p>@GoldenRatio It says you qualify for a FINANCIAL AID GRANT of 40000 so I’m pretty sure that’s a yes :smiley: They say on their website the aid amount for most families income so you can double check and see if that makes since. But a grant is money. So I’m pretty sure that means only 10000. Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think I am. Haha</p>

<p>** Accepted: No Where **
** Rejected: Hill, Choate, Loomis **
** Waiting: Milton **</p>

[<em>] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: SSAT: 45th percentile, TOEFL: 94
[</em>] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: Mostly A’s and B’s
[<em>] Rank: n/a
[</em>] Other stats: n/a
[<em>] Essays: I thought they were pretty good
[</em>] Math Rec: Didn’t see it, but I don’t think it was excellent
[<em>] English Rec: Didn’t see it, but I don’t think it was excellent
[</em>] Other Rec: Drums teacher, pretty good
[<em>] Principal/Counselor Rec: Didn’t see it, but I don’t think it was excellent
[</em>] Sports (if any): 3 years in varsity soccer, 1 year in varsity volleyball
[<em>] Instruments (if any): 6 years of competitive piano, 4 years of competitive percussion/drums
[</em>] Other ECs (if any): 4 years of student council, 1 year of MUN, 1 year of newspaper
[<em>] Hook (if any):have a cousin going to The Hill School, over 200-300 hours off community service
[</em>] Current School Type: Private
[<em>] Ethnicity: Asian
[</em>] Gender: Female
[li] Grade:8, applying to 9th[/li][/ul]Other Factors: good interview
General Comments: I think my horrible test scores had a really big impact on the decisions</p>

<p>** Decision: Accepted at Hotchkiss and Hill**[ size]
[size=+1]**Decision: waitlisted at St.Paul’s **
Waiting on Andover
Stats:

[ul]
[<em>] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: 77%
[</em>] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: 4.0
[</em>] Other stats:
[/ul]Subjective:

[ul]
[<em>] Essays: pretty good really showed my personality
[</em>] Math Rec: good she knows I work hard and I go into see her for help even when I don’t need it
[<em>] English Rec: loves me so pretty good
[</em>] Other Rec: Chinese teacher loves me so good
[<em>] Principal/Counselor Rec:didn’t know him before I asked him for a rec so I’m assuming good
[</em>] Sports (if any): basketball
[<em>] Instruments (if any): percussion and piano
[</em>] Other ECs (if any):
[<em>] Hook (if any): own NFP that helps kids in Africa get clothing and education
[/ul]Location/Person:

[ul]
[</em>] State or Country: Illinois
[<em>] Current School Type. Public
[</em>] Ethnicity: African American
[<em>] Gender. Female
[</em>] Grade: applied for 10
[/ul]**Other Factors:n/a
General Comments: interviews went well at Hotchkiss and Hill okay and Andover and SPS</p>

<p>Oh and applied for FA</p>

<p>[ size=+1][ color=green][ b] Decision: ACCEPTED at WOODBERRY FOREST SCHOOL, EPISCOPAL HIGH SCHOOL [ /b][ /color][ /size]
[ size=+1][ color=blue][ b]Decision: Waiting on Mercersburg [ /b][ /color][ /size]</p>

<p>[ b]Stats:[ /b][ list]
[ *] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: SSAT 75%ile
[ *] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: Weighted:3.91 Unweighted: 3.95
[ *] Rank: n/a
[ *] Other stats:
[ /list][ b]Subjective:[ /b][ list]
[ *] Essays: Very powerful. Proofread many times, thought out completely. Wrote about things and messages that mean’t alot to me, so I felt them
[ *] Math Rec: Knows me well, Didn’t see but I think pretty good.
[ *] English Rec: Knows me well, Didn’t see but I think pretty good.
[ *] Other Rec Rec: Football Coach for EHS amazing! AD for MBurg Very Good!
[ *] Principal/Counselor Rec: Didn’t see but he knows me well and I think pretty good.
[ *] Sports (if any): Football, Basketball, potentially Lax.
[ *] Instruments (if any): All types of Percussion
[ *] Other ECs (if any):Student Council Pres, community service, engineering team,poetry
[ *] Hook (if any): Connected at Woodberry. Did well at both Episcopal, and Woodberry sports camps and academic camps. 1 year younger than most peers
[ /list][ b]Location/Person:[ /b][ list] up north
[ *] State or Country: USA
[ *] Current School Type: small private day
[ *] Ethnicity: African-American
[ *] Gender: M
[ *] Grade: 8th Applying to 9th
[ /list][ b]Other Factors:[ /b]
[ b]General Comments:[ /b] All thanks to god most high!!! Lets go!!!</p>

<p>** Decision: ACCEPTED at WOODBERRY FOREST SCHOOL, EPISCOPAL HIGH SCHOOL **
**Decision: Waiting on Mercersburg **</p>

[<em>] SSAT/ISEE/TOEFL/PSAT: SSAT 75%ile
[</em>] GPA Unweighted-Weighted: Weighted:3.91 Unweighted: 3.95
[</em>] Other stats:
[<em>] Essays: Very powerful. Proofread many times, thought out completely. Wrote about things and messages that mean’t alot to me, so I felt them
[</em>] Math Rec: Knows me well, Didn’t see but I think pretty good.
[<em>] English Rec: Knows me well, Didn’t see but I think pretty good.
[</em>] Other Rec Rec: Football Coach for EHS amazing! AD for MBurg Very Good!
[<em>] Principal/Counselor Rec: Didn’t see but he knows me well and I think pretty good.
[</em>] Sports (if any): Football, Basketball, potentially Lax.
[<em>] Instruments (if any): All types of Percussion
[</em>] Other ECs (if any):Student Council Pres, community service, engineering team,poetry
[<em>] Hook (if any): Connected at Woodberry. Did well at both Episcopal, and Woodberry sports camps and academic camps. 1 year younger than most peers
[/ul]Location/Person:[ul] The North
State or Country: USA
[</em>] Current School Type: small private day
[<em>] Ethnicity: African-American
[</em>] Gender: M
[li] Grade: 8th Applying to 9th[/li][/ul]Other Factors:
General Comments: All thanks to god most high!!! Lets go!!!
Edit Report Problem Post Reply</p>

<p>Accepted at: none
Waitlisted at: Andover, Choate , SPS , Hotchkiss
Rejected: Exeter
Interviews: pretty good
Essays: Exeter was amazing, rest were okay
Sports: basketball (small forward)
Music: in middle school accepted as a high school saxophonist in jazz band as 2nd chair and am 1st chair in middle school concert band.
Other: Chairman for school MUN team, created a recycling program in my town.
Won presidential award for fitness (w/ Barack Obama’s signature
Current State or country: United Arab emirates
nationality: Indian American
8th grade male
GPA:3.94
SSAT: 98 percentile
General Comments: I thought I could get into at least one. I guess I learnt what it means to only apply to HADES schools. Hope I can get off waitlist.</p>

<p>No financial aid ^</p>