2014-2015 Financial Aid

<p>The Financial Aid Portal is down and the site currently says:</p>

<p>The Scholarships & Financial Aid Portal is currently down as we award incoming freshmen for 14-15. The portal is estimated to be back online around 12pm on Tuesday, April 1.</p>

<p>Not an incoming freshman and curious when you will be awarded? Continuing Undergraduates and Graduates will be awarded late May. Students enrolled at the HSC will be awarded in stages beginning mid-April.</p>

<p>If you have not yet completed your 14-15 FAFSA, please do so at <a href="http://www.fafsa.gov"&gt;www.fafsa.gov&lt;/a&gt;.&lt;/p>

<p>Thank you for the update on the portal and financial aid awards. </p>

<p>The Financial Aid Portal is now up, at least it was for my son. His awards have been posted.</p>

<p>We got nothing. My S had a 2140 SAT and my husband has been unemployed 6 months. Not even sure if my kid can go now. TAMU gave him a big middle finger. I am really confused. </p>

<p>Full ride to texas a&m. Just only $2588 in loans </p>

<p>Hey @135pipe, Will you commit to TAMU or Florida?</p>

<p>Only scholarship - National Hispanic Scholar. Also Fed Dir Unsub Loan and Parent Loan. No workstudy or other aid. Not much, but we weren’t expecting too much as A&M (as well as many other popular “big-name” schools) has a reputation of not giving much in the way of scholarships. Son’s working on finding other scholarship opportunities and offerings.</p>

<p>Only 4k in loans. Regents Scholarship recipient, and the rest met with grants. </p>

<p>TAMU ALL THE WAY WOOOOOOOOOOOO</p>

<p>My son got $2500 from TAMU so UT Austin or UT Dallas are his choices. Most likely UT Austin for engineering program since it is ranked so high. Both UT Austin and Dallas exceeded our expectations while TAMU fell $10k short. Our EFC was $8400 but they want us to pay $20k per year. Unbelievable - - we are floored. My son scored 2030 SAT (720 M, 720 CR, 590 W) was top 5% of his class, worked and fulfilled EC, had outstanding recommendations and essay. Just go to show you never know. We were disappointed at first but now are thinking everything happens for a reason. Hook em Horns!</p>

<p>We also received the $2500 grant and nothing else. UT came up with almost $5000 in grant money :-/
(Well, we also received a BHP $4000 per year scholarship from Mays but it’s weird because A&M is heavily recruiting kiddo for BHP program so I was hoping for more. . . )</p>

<p>Looks like UT- McCombs will cost the same as TAMU. Also considering very generous offers from UT-D and SMU Cox BBA Scholars. Honestly, at this point, we are more confused than ever - go to the higher ranked B-school (McCombs) or be a bigger fish in an honors program? I’m a A&M grad and DH is a UT grad so that doesn’t help matter either!</p>

<p>FYI - EFC is around $4700 so with another in college all financial aid packages include about $1000 Pell Grant.</p>

<p>All student loans here. TAMU is out for me. I don’t get it either because my EFC was about $6500. I tried to call and they just said it is what it is. I already pulled my housing application and everything. My SAT was over 2200, and I am a female in engineering. So I am surprised by this. Top 10% too and did not even get a top 10% scholarship. But I called and they said it was correct. So moving on I guess.</p>

<p>STEMbound - so frustrating for them to take their time and then nothing. Hope you have a great alterative school. Best of luck to you!</p>

<p>I don’t think the department scholarships have been assigned yet. I haven’t heard of anyone getting one from the Engineering department. We emailed them and they said it would be late April. Maybe that will bring more money.</p>

<p>I also hear that TAMU gives more money as we get to the summer. I suspect they reallocate funds promised to student who decide not to attend.</p>

<p>whciv01 they told me they are completely done, no appeal, no chance for more money. And the engineering dept will be giving the scholarships for the upperclassmen, not freshmen.</p>

<p>Although I don’t doubt that is what they told you, I wonder if its totally accurate. From reading this board I’ve seen many instances where one person from TAMU tells someone one thing and then another one says something totally different. </p>

<p>Is anyone out there that received scholarships for the 2013/2014 year? I know there are some sophomores and juniors on this board that have had other experiences. I spoke to someone this weekend who said he didn’t get his big scholarships until June. </p>

<p>We had money added later for the 12/13 year. In particular the Top 10% award is usually pretty late. If you have documented need and filed FAFSA by the deadline(as well as fulfill the top 10% designation) that one is automatic. Of course, this year it was reduced to $600 so not a big help there I guess. We had a few small awards added in late Spring early summer. My kid did get a departmental award as a freshman. It is not common and the amount is not huge, but it is still possible. </p>

<p>Our experience has been the college based scholarship (Mays) hasn’t posted to financial aid until mid-late April both years. We get letter #1 with the university based scholarship, then a month or so later the updated letter. I don’t know the process for every scholarship they award, for ours (as entering freshman) we were notified by BHP in a letter from BHP (not FA& S), then it did not show up on our first letter from FA & S. Given no one has posted Engineering scholarships yet, it is possible they have not posted. It states in the award message section who awarded the scholarship. Although we know many top students attending here, we do not know many with massive scholarships. COA is relatively low compared to other schools which is why this is one of the top ROI schools in the nation.<a href=“http://tamutimes.tamu.edu/2014/04/01/texas-am-among-top-4-public-universities-nationally-for-affordability-and-high-return-on-investment/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tamuNewsHeadlines+(www.tamu.edu+News+Headlines)#.Uzws7fldU41”>http://tamutimes.tamu.edu/2014/04/01/texas-am-among-top-4-public-universities-nationally-for-affordability-and-high-return-on-investment/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tamuNewsHeadlines+(www.tamu.edu+News+Headlines)#.Uzws7fldU41&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>My son received very generous offers from a&m with a bio major. They were stacked scholarships: National Hispanic ($14,000), Opportunity Award ($20,000), and Century scholar ($20,000). We were floored with the total of $54,000 and very pleased with this as our EFC was very high according to FASFA. Ironically he received nothing but loan offers from UT so that made his decision really easy. It didn’t seem to make sense that one school would be so generous based on academic merit and the other would not. Gig 'em Aggies!
Does anyone know if there is full ride out there for A&M similar to the 40 acres scholar program at ut?</p>

<p>@hello1999 did your son get more financial aid because he is Hispanic, than someone who is not Hispanic, but has more need? Because I have had some people tell me that is how it works. I did not get anything because I am white, even though I had a low EFC.</p>