2014 African Americans!

<p>im worried about my gpa. its a 90.5, which is low even for an af-am applicant. i hope my ecs push me into stanford.</p>

<p>I wouldn’t worry too too much. Where do you live, and what’s your ranking/GPA?</p>

<p>Junie I completly understand. My GPA is about the same, though my school is not on a 100 point grading scale. I’m hoping the fact that I’m from an underepresented state, my essays, and the fact I want to major in English will give me a boost. Stanford is my dream school, and they seem to look beyond test scores and GPA.</p>

<p>I think you’ll be fine Junie. Just impress the adcoms with those essays! lol</p>

<p>it seems that everyone has that ONE thing that they’re worried will not get them into their favorite school, which is normal (mine is that I’m a bad test taker lol, which is why it felt weird that the SAT today wasn’t that bad, im fully convinced that I really AM fooling myself lol) but i dont think that colleges want a perfect person, if admissions officers wanted EVERY perfect scorer on the SAT, who does a million+ EC’S and hours of community service, who can write one hell of an essay, and who gets stellar grades and is at the top of their class, then their colleges would be pretty boring and bland you know? there’s gotta be some type of variation (lol this is what i say to myself after a horrible day haha) </p>

<p>however i’ve come to the conclusion that if penn doesn’t accept me, then it just wasn’t meant to be for me even though it’s my top school, i’m kind of at the point where i’m so tired of feeling that i might not be good enough for this school lol, excuse me for venting…</p>

<p>we all feel the same. i just wish these sat score reports came faster!</p>

<p>@bella
I know how you feel. Columbia is my number one. But lately, I’ve been like, “I wouldn’t mind if I got accepted to Princeton or such-and-such school.” </p>

<p>Yes, I do know Princeton’s harder to get into generally speaking, but I have my reasons for thinking I’d get into Princeton before Columbia. And ironically, my old Spanish classmate got into Princeton but waitlisted at Columbia. He’s going to Princeton now.</p>

<p>omg im having writers block lol i have no clue how i should do this penn supplement essay…</p>

<p>I’m applying to Vassar ED, and I’m nervous about last Saturday’s SAT Subject Tests…it seems every time I try to take one of them, I get sick and it affects my performance, with needing a tissue every five seconds and all…</p>

<p>^^ aww pobresito…just take a deep breath and think good thoughts :-)</p>

<p>@bella- the autobiography or the actual supplement that you HAVE to do?</p>

<p>^^ the one we actually have to do lol</p>

<p>@bellanaija: I know. I know. Writer’s block. I have the perfect essay for the pg 217, but I’ve used it in my common application already. Have you sent in everything (recommendations, transcript, etc) or are you going to send them all in with the essays?</p>

<p>to everyone: when is a good time to completely send in your applications? because my school does the british ucast, so they haven’t been helping me really. And they don’t know much about the American way of applying to Universities.</p>

<p>Hey is anyone here looking at Wellesley?</p>

<p>I have a question. For the common application, under “father”, do you use the father (stepfather) whom you are living with or your biological father? And as for siblings, do you use those whom you have lived in your household before?</p>

<p>@glitterz</p>

<p>everything on the common app will be sent by me, and my guidance counselor is gonna mail in all the school forms, but i plan on having us doing that at the same time… </p>

<p>i think everyone has a different method lol</p>

<p>@bella- I just looked into what I was interested in at Penn and zoomed in on it. I’m not sure if my writing instructor will have me edit a lot of it though.</p>

<p>Ah man, didn’t know people like myself existed! The minorities of the minorities! ;)</p>

<p>I hope everyone is successful in their endevours, it sure is a tough jounrey for us especially. I applied to the University of Central Florida about two weeks ago and got in a week after. UCF is my #1 choice due to a few reasons: cheap (one of the top schools in Florida for Engineering & Computer Science, great industry connections (Boeing, Lockheed, Harris Corp., NASA, etc), awesome location, and it really is turning into a great school.</p>

<p>Now I’m just working on retaking the SATs, getting accepted into the Burnett Honors College at UCF, and applying to some out of state colleges such as Georgia Tech and a few others…</p>

<p>@Bonafide
No way your the first person that I have met that actually applied to UCF. I just turned in my application last week. Did you have to sen offical test scores from the SAT office? R u from florida. Wow you found out a week later!? When did you apply. You must of applied really early. </p>

<p>Well the only applications that I have started are Florida schools. UF, UCF, USF, and FSU so I haven’t really started on the supplements for any other schools outside of florida. Plus I’m trying to see where this Questbridge scholarship will go. But I should probably start on it for backup. I’ve started the comm app. but that’s it. Oh and the profolio for Penn that I have to send in eventually with my app.</p>

<p>But how is everyone doing with college apps and school and E.C’s. My world is kindof crazy right now</p>

<p>@Bella
r u applying ED for Penn</p>

<p>Sry for the long message haven’t been here in a while! :)</p>

<p>Hey BlackRose,</p>

<p>Yes, I did send in my SAT scores from CollegeBoard in additon to my ACT scores (which gets me Bright Futures). Also, yes, I’m from South Florida (West Palm Beach). I applied to UCF two weeks ago, and I found out that I got in a week later. I’ve read that people with “good” credentials tend to get a response within one to two weeks, so I guess I feel within that category :P! I don’t even feel like applying to any other Florida universities, to be honest. UF, FSU, USF, FIU, FIT, and all the others don’t appeal to me nearly as much as UCF. I might send an app to UF though…</p>

<p>I’m loving senior year though. It’s a wave, and I’m just riding it. :)</p>

<p>Well yeah defiantly. It also depends on what you want to major in. But I didn’t even consider the Private Universities in Florida with the whole Bright Future change. Plus a lot are better than them, but also again depends on what you major in. But congratulations in getting in. You probably have to apply to housing now. At least you have an idea of where you are going. Are you applying to the honors college?</p>

<p>The housing application opens up in November, so I’ll have to wait til them. And yes I plan on applying to the Honors College, I need to retake my SATs, however, to be a more competitive (1240 SAT, 28 ACT).</p>